Author Topic: Searing Steaks on the GMG DC  (Read 8212 times)

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Searing Steaks on the GMG DC
« Reply #-1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:43:15 AM »
I sear my steaks to add that wonderful slightly crusty grilled, caramelized, and nutty additional flavor to my meat that is so hard to get even in some fine restaurants. To me, I do not need any additional spices, marinades, or sauces for my steaks. Sea salt and a great sear is all that is required for a fine steak.

I like to start with either a boneless ribeye or strip steak and I like to cut my own to get them at least 1/1/4” to 1-3/4”thick for the best results. I prefer choice or above graded piece of meat if I can find it.

To prep the meat, I take it out of the fridge and wipe it dry with paper towels and place it on a cooling rack to dry and warm up for about 40 minutes. The rack lets air under the meat so any moisture doesn’t puddle under the meat. I usually turn the meat over and wipe it off a couple of times during this 40 minute warm up period as I want the surface dry as moisture is your enemy for a proper sear.

I will be searing these steaks in my Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill and this is how I have it setup for this treat.

I take the two cooking grids out, then both of the “Open Flame Technology Plates” out of the grill. I do leave the diffuser plate in the grill as it is a good base for my black iron griddle. I then place my 10” round Lodge griddle on top of the diffuser plate.

The best temp for searing is about 350 to 500 degrees and to get this on this little cooker and my setup, I find that setting the cooker temp to 375 degrees will produce a griddle surface temp of about 425-450 degrees which is perfect for my steaks.

Since there is such a thin line between searing and charring a steak and charring is not very safe, I finish my prep by sprinkling on a pretty heavy coat of sea salt just before the meat goes on to the griddle. Any other seasonings can burn or give an off taste to my meat.

I place the steak on one side of my griddle and sear it for about 2-3 minutes until it naturally releases from the griddle surface and I turn it over on an unused part of the griddle to finish to cook.

Before starting my second steak, I wipe the griddle off of any remaining moisture from the first steak and then sear the second steak.

I cook my steaks to rare or medium rare and do not need this additional step but if the steak is not done to your liking during the 4-6 minute total searing time, you can add the grid back over the top of the setup to finish your steak.

After a 10 minute rest, these are my seared, browned, and caramelized steaks cooked to slightly over rare and ready for the plate.

Anyway, that is the way I like to roll with steaks on  my little Davy Crockett tailgate pellet cooker.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Searing Steaks on the GMG DC
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »
Totally agree about a griddle sear.  I would rather have that than grill marks any day.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
Nice Steaks .you gave me a new idea for my GMG .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:51:39 AM »
Totally agree about a griddle sear.  I would rather have that than grill marks any day.

+1

I think grill marks are burned meat—possibly dangerous to consume.  A proper sear is maillard reaction that adds flavor.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »
Enjoyed this post, thanks Dave ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »
Nice looking steaks Dave and an innovating way to use the GMG DC!  At first I thought you were just going to open the Open Flame Technology Plates but I never thought about doing it this way ... until now  :)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »
those look really good. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58:37 PM »
Steaks look delicious Dave! Great technique that I will have to try on one of my pellet cookers.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »

+1

I think grill marks are burned meat—possibly dangerous to consume.  A proper sear is maillard reaction that adds flavor.

Agreed; grill marks are pretty but a griddle puts that caramelized flavor all over.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68