Author Topic: What charcoal starter doodad do I want for a PBC?  (Read 7397 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
What charcoal starter doodad do I want for a PBC?
« Reply #-1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:28:06 AM »
Im going to order a PBC,if you dont hear from me means Mrs killed me. ???
Remember on the Bob Newhart show,the little guy Emile and his wrestler wife Doris?OK,you pretty much get the picture..... ;)

Soooo...I need the barrel rack thing,the chicken leg hanger, and a chimney charcoal starter. Which one do I get?

Also,any other must have I need to order now?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:35:01 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Re: What charcoal starter doodad do I want for a PBC?
« on: May 14, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
I'm one that don't like charcoal lighter in any way. I bought the best and still can taste it in my cooks so for when I am at home I use a electric charcoal lighter. If I am out camping with no power I just use a good old blow torch to get the charcoal going. Either way its about 30 minutes till the coals are ready.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »
I do not own a PBC, but for me it is nice to have both a full size Weber chimney and the Weber mini chimney.  The mini is great for lighting a small amount of coals, and it is easy to get into tighter drop spots and aim more accurately.  The most important thing is to get some Weber lighter cubes.  They leave no mess or flying lit newspaper, and they are far easier to light/never lose a flame.  They also work far better when you only need to light a few coals in the chimney.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
I use a standard sized chimney.  Lately though, I have been using lighterfluid.  I cant taste it at all, seems to work better also.  I need to find one of those chicken leg basket, that would be cool.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
I use this to light the lump in my BGE.. works great

http://www.looftlighter.com/
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
It will come with one chromed grate so that you can cook chicken pieces, or anything in a "grilling" manner ( I mean the orientation of the grill gate is horizontal )

I find that 2 of the Weber brand  standard sized charcoal chimneys ( http://www.lowes.com/pd_197879-505-7416_0__?Ntt=chimney+starter+charcoal&productId=1057001&rpp=24 ) , and a few pieces of rolled up newspaper stuffed under them ( there is info on You Tube and other places about this method) , and a gas torch to light 'em works great. I recognize that some folks don't mind lighter fluid...And we could banter the semantics of whether one can taste it or not - that seems highly variable among us, based on our individual gene combination ;D.....

But the truth is - I am a cheap old buzzard.... :D - so 15-20 minutes later, I have a FULL basket load ready to go!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:06:47 AM »
I use this to light the lump in my BGE.. works great

http://www.looftlighter.com/
Thats dang nice,but Mrs would freak if I spent 70 bucks on it,but man,thats a Cadillac for sure,NICE!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
I don't mind using the lighter fluid also. But I also don't like the mess the newspaper makes when using a charcoal starter. The lighter cubes sound like a nice option.

I would get a quality inexpensive charcoal starter from Weber and then get a simple tabletop propane burner like you use when camping. Just set the charcoal starter above the burner and light your coals. This way there is no newspaper mess and you can still use the burner for other things... Like when camping ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
For those of you who have never tried the Weber starter cubes... try them once (just light it and put the chimney right over top of it), and I guarantee you will wonder why you haven't switched.  They are only a couple of dollars for a pack of 24.  Amazon has them as an add-on item which makes it super convenient to throw a pack or two in with your order when you have shipping.  Otherwise, Lowe's sells them around here.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
I would use the Weber chimney starter too.  I also agree with using the Weber lighter cubes instead of newspaper.  I have used newspaper and it does leave ashes flying around when firing up the coals.  Also the idea of placing the chimney stater over a burner works real well too.  I have fired up my coals in the chimney starter on my Camp Chef single burner and it works great.  And have fun with the PBC, looking forward to pictures of some great food.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »
I use lighter fluid (Kingsford) just a bunch of fun and I can't taste the fluid...but some do so the Weber chimney starter is a good way to go.....Camp Chef makes a real nice large one as well..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
Ok this one is more like what I am talking about...

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Charcoal-Chimney-Starter-Burner/dp/B003GW9ZPU
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »
I use lighter fluid (Kingsford) just a bunch of fun and I can't taste the fluid...but some do so the Weber chimney starter is a good way to go.....Camp Chef makes a real nice large one as well..............

I can't say it any better than smokeasaurus... except maybe I DO taste the fluid and like it?????
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 05:34:38 PM »
I use the Weber cubes and chimney. I also use the gas assist on the Performer at times to get the chimney started.
I prefer the cubes as they stay lit and are cheap.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline spuds

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
Ok this one is more like what I am talking about...

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Charcoal-Chimney-Starter-Burner/dp/B003GW9ZPU
Thats major cool too,I do have several burners...