Author Topic: Colorado road trip  (Read 2855 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Colorado road trip
« Reply #-1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »
 Well I'm finally getting to go see my brother after his surgery.  My son is also getting to go so we decided to make a road trip out of it. We will be in Colorado Springs Aug 4,5,6 leaving on the 7th about noon driving To Wells NV.
 Our route will take us north Through Rocky Mountian National Park and then west to Salt Lake City Utah and then Nevada.  Nothing is is stone but that's the general direction.
 We will return on the 12th/13th to Colorado Springs.
No plans for the return route yet. North through Wyoming or across mid Colorado.  We will decide when we get to it. 
If anyone out that way wants to meet for a cool drink or even a sandwich give me a shout. We can alter the route quite a bit with little effort.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Colorado road trip
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »
I hope you have a good trip. And - I hope your brother is doing better.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:48:18 PM »
Thoughts and prayers for your family.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »
Have a safe trip to see your brother! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »
Went through Colorado Springs a few weeks ago - good place to stay is Garden of the Gods RV Resort if you are in an RV, and from there, you can visit Garden of the Gods and several other interesting attractions.

The roads through Colorado and Wyoming are good, and we actually traveled the back roads rather than the freeway in many areas - great way to see the west

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »
Pz,  we like the back roads too. Time will keep us close to a state hi-way but I have several side road detours planed. I go to Co Springs once or twice a year. So I am slowly building a fishing plan... Places where I can camp and fish some combined with the business trips. I have found I can sometimes go a weekend early and/or stay a weekend late and possibly get two three day camping trips in on one business trip. 

Thanks everyone for the family thoughts. My brother has gone through all the surgeries for now (we think). He just got re screened  and seems cancer free. He is very slowly gaining weight now and the feeding tube got removed two weeks ago. It had been there since before Christmas... He has a bladder bag and a colostomy bag but he's alive.  They said in a year they can remove the colostomy bag.

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »
Have a safe trip and we have your brother and his family in our prayers.   Sounds like he is a real fighter.  God bless him.

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »
 Seeing family will surely help with his recovery. Have a safe trip.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »
Y'all be careful over there. 

Tell your brother Kimmie and I are thinking and praying for a fast recovery

Hope to see you in Sept!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:07:47 PM »
Looks like I just missed you, we arrived SLC on the 9th and will be here through the 23rd.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 09:14:22 PM »
Have a safe trip...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »
Safe travels and your brother is in our prayers.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »
Terry,  Look forward to hearing about this trip at the Gathering.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
  This is a bit late but we did make it back from the trip to see my brother.  The cancer beat the hell out of him but I think he is on the mend. One of the pics is him and my son Chris. Last summer Steve was hiking the Rocky's and in excellent shape.  Then last Christmas went to the doctor for a pain and ended up spending 8 months between a hospital and nursing care facilities in Salt Lake. He had only been home a few days when we arrived.
 The 4 hour flight turned into 10 and we were glad to land in CO Springs... I had a work training school to attend which made this trip financially possible. Then Chris and I drove from Colorado Springs to Wells Nevada. We had to hurry a little but managed to do a rolling tour of Colorado, Utah and Eastern Nevada as best we could.
 The moose picture was taken  in Rocky Mountain National Forest . He was pretty chilled out just laying there on the side of there road.  I told Chris he looked like he had found one of those pot fields...   We stopped in Steamboat Springs at the Oar House for dinner. NY strip was $38.00!  So we opted for the $17.00 burger plate. Happily it was very good indeed.   We made Craig Co that night and stayed in a great little mom and pop hotel ( Valley View Inn). They have a grill and fire ring for customers use and the rates were half the others I found.  We didn't get to use the grill but it was nice to know it was there. 
  We hit every Sporting goods store we passed I think. Cabelas in Denver actually has 22LR in stock...225 count boxes too.   And there must be some huge trout in Utah because there were lures at Sportsman Warehouse the size of my hand.  That is on my return trip list... 
 The Salt Flats were flat for sure and a long way across.. 
 We reached Wells and decided to go to the grocery store before seeing Steve. He would not want us to buy stuff and we had a mission. To put weight on him and we only had 4 days to do it.  The little store surprised us. They had a nice selection meats and produce. They even had Red Hook beer! We bought pork ribs, steak and hamburger meat so I could make him a stock of easy to make food. (He could only stand a few minutes at a time). The prices were about what they are here except on cheese. It was double the price we pay. Not sure what that's about...
 Chris was the cook and he hopped up those ribs "Southern Style".  I found an old electric smoker in the shed and converted it to charcoal.  Steve ate more ribs than any food he has eaten in months...  We did add a pound to him before we left. He is now walking to the end of the street every day. Its only about 600 feet but that's a good start.
 We went fishing at Angel Lake in Humboldt National Forrest which is just outside Wells and caught our limit of trout which made a great dinner.
  On the way back we took a detour across CO 105 AKA Frying Pan Road between Glenwood Springs CO and Lead CO.  This was a great detour! You need good ground clearance and 4WD. Luckily the only vehicle left for rent when we arrived was a Suburban..   Plan on about 4 or 5  hours to get across the mountains on this road. All day if you have time and if you like remote camping this is the place... 
 At any rate after we got back on the main road and found a roadside park and put all our leftovers on a grill there. Even the cheese dip. It went on the cauliflower..
 All in all a great trip to be so short on time. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:47:25 PM by tlg4942 »

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
Nice pics,prayers for your brothers continued recovery.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.