Author Topic: Fermented Whole Head Cabbage  (Read 65882 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Fermented Whole Head Cabbage
« Reply #-1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »
Sep 27 2014

I have been fermenting my own cabbage for sauerkraut since last year. I have a 5 liter fermenting crock and have made two batches in it with great results.

I enjoy reading food history; especially ethnic foods that were brought to the US by our immigrant ancestors. Searching for some cabbage roll recipes from the different European countries I found that some used fermented whole cabbages and used the leaves to wrap the meat mix. Some use sauerkraut mixed in with ground meat. I have made them that way and with sauerkraut over top and it is good.

I just used par boiled cabbage leaves to wrap them with. Fermenting whole cabbages and using the leaves was something new to me and I had to try it. Out for my almost daily trip to the grocery I stopped at our Saturday farmers market. I found two nice heads from a local gardener and he said he uses no pesticides. It looked like the two heads would fit in my fermenting crock.

I found an article on the net that the guy and an exchange student from Yugoslavia did an experiment over 3 years to find the best method. They used weak brine for one and strong brine 3.5% for another and the third was a dry brine of salt and shredded cabbage among the whole cabbages. They said the best was the ones done with 3.5% salt brine. They used 10 TBS of coarse salt for 5 quarts, 2 TBS. per quart.

I cleaned some of the outer leaves from the heads and in some salted water to soak for a couple of hours. This should chase out any vermin in them. I figured 4 quarts of water would cover the cabbage so mixed up my brine. I didn’t see in the article how long they let theirs ferment; but they had checked it often. For my kraut I let it ferment for 28 days, it takes that long at about 72 deg. F to produce the 3 lactic acids that are good for you. I plan to check mine after 5 days; then every few days and when I think it is done I will put in jars in the fridge to stop or slow the fermentation.

When I was ready to put the cabbage in my crock there was one small problem; they were too large to fit the opening! The only solution was to make them smaller or cut them in half; I cut them in half. I still should be able to get some nice leaves from them.  I got them in and poured the brine over to cover and added my weights.

Now all I have to do is wait; so I’ll see you in 1 to 4 weeks. I hope they turn out so I can have some good old fashioned cabbage rolls.

Link to cabbage article http://agardenerstable.com/2014/02/11/how-to-pickled-cabbages-whole/

The cabbage

All packed in with the brine

Fermenting crock

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:18:16 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Fermented Whole Head Cabbage
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:19:01 AM »
Looking good Don, can't wait to see the final product.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:24:20 AM »
What a great idea,I have to try that,thanks!Bookmarked,dont want to forget it.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »
Patience is not my strongest virtue.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
Oct 28 1014

Yesterday was a warm fall day, hit 78 deg. My half heads of cabbage was done fermenting after 30 days; time to get it in a jar and in the fridge. I bought an Anchor Hocking gallon glass jar to put it in. It had a large enough opening to get the half heads of cabbage in.

I tasted a couple of the leaves without washing off and it was good and sour. It was salty but not as salty as I thought it would be. To store it I added the cabbage then filled ¾ full with the brine and then added filtered water to cover. I think just some good rinsing when I get ready to use it in a month or so will work well. I plan to make some Romanian cabbage rolls. The brine in the crock stayed nice and no scum on top at all, just turned a little cloudy which is good.

From making sauerkraut before I found I like it better after setting in the fridge 4 to 6 weeks after a 30 day fermentation. When I get around to making my cabbage rolls will depend a lot on how soon I get my back operation, for a ruptured disc, done and get back in shape. I should find out Thursday when I will get the operation.

Sorry for those who viewed only to find out now you can wait another 30 days or more!  ;)

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
Always something good to look forward to!   :)   I'm just glad y'all remember to POST the updates and pictures when things are done, instead of leaving us hanging! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
Don..my Romanian grandma made stuffed cabbage rolls all the time, call galoustas. She put a layer of ham skin in the bottom of the roaster..she made about 75 at a time. Then layered the cabbage rolls with sauerkraut in between. Then a layer of ham skin on top and let them cook low and slow overnight. No tomatoes in hers..they were the bomb and what I grew up on. Can't wait to see how yours turn out. I have made them also, using beef, pork and veal in = parts. I'm the only one to make them now.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
Hope all goes well with your surgery and you have a speedy/healthy recovery.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »
Don,how did this turn out
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
I missed this one somehow. I, too would like to know how it turned out. I love cabbage rolls and this sounds very interesting.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #