Author Topic: Jaxon's Byron Gathering  (Read 10929 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Jaxon's Byron Gathering
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 06:31:33 PM »
Great looking outing and food. May want to get a salad into Tee once in a while.  Just sayin....

Most definitely! I was "lucky" enough to room with him!  8) ;)

I can see it now.....
Best movie ever

THOSE ARE NOT PILLOWS!!!!! :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 09:52:44 PM »
I would like to add my kudos to Jaxon and Deb for opening their beautiful home and grounds for a bunch of yahoos like us and for making us feel so welcome and "at home". I had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed the friends, the conversations, and the food. The pictures that were posted are really good if you remember that the camera adds 10lbs. The video will be along in about a week because I won't be home until next weekend and then it will take a few days to make it presentable (you know Tim's unnatural sounds). All in all, a great weekend.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
I would like to add my kudos to Jaxon and Deb for opening their beautiful home and grounds for a bunch of yahoos like us and for making us feel so welcome and "at home". I had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed the friends, the conversations, and the food. The pictures that were posted are really good if you remember that the camera adds 10lbs. The video will be along in about a week because I won't be home until next weekend and then it will take a few days to make it presentable (you know Tim's unnatural sounds). All in all, a great weekend.

Uh...parts of my body *DO* have Tourette's Syndrome....

But on a serious note - I hope someone got pictures and I hope Jaxon will post his recipe...HINT>>>> ;) for the best green beans I ever had. They had some of Don's home-made Hill Country sausage in them...Oh My Goodness.....AND the mac and cheese - again - I hope we can get recipes. Because they were awesome.

And much thanks toe Jack and Deb for the great tolerance ....er...hospitality ;D!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muralboy

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 01:09:29 AM »
The outing looked like a blast. Food tremendous. I hope I get the opportunity to attend one some day.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 08:26:43 AM »
Hey Y'all, I appreciate the kind remarks, but I want you to know that the Cookout with Bremer was a wonderful experience for ME.  I am so thankful that Y'ALL came over and shared so much. 
Deb and I always look forward to seeing Don on his two migrations from Houston to Wilmington.  He is gracious enough to travel a couple of hours out of his way to visit  with us.  For the last couple of years, we have asked others to join us and they have come.
With the addition of the pavilion in the backyard, it has been my dream to be able to host events like this to bring folks together to share the experience of cooking and fellowship.  At my age, I can't do all the cooking and serving that needs to be done.  YOU GUYS  jumped right in and made yourselves at home and helped one another cook, serve, and clean up just like family.  It was great watching everyone share the entire experience.
I'm thankful, too, for all the help in cleaning up and helping us put everything away before you left.  Terry was kind enough to haul away all the waste from the shrimp boil (we had no place to dump it) AND a bag full of trash that wouldn't fit in our curbside  container.
Y'all made the weekend what it was - a great experience for all of us.  I am already looking forward to the next Cookout with Bremer...details to follow.
We really DO have the best forum members on the Interweb.
B T W, remind me to post those recipes.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 08:40:25 AM »
Jaxon..here is your remind to post them recipes..lol  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
The outing looked like a blast. Food tremendous. I hope I get the opportunity to attend one some day.

Please consider hosting a Gathering yourself! It could be at your place - or a local park, campground, etc...We would like to see these grow regionally so that more folks can get together and share food, fun and fellowship. Iis amazing the exchange of ideas that takes places at these events.

PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:50 AM »
Great pics, wonderful looking food and looks like a great time had by all!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 09:35:49 AM »
Great pics, wonderful looking food and looks like a great time had by all!

x2
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »
I really hate to give out my recipe for green beans because Backyard Jack's competitors are always trying to steal it (he said with a wink).

For the Cookout I used a jumbo-size can of cut green beans - drained.
Started with the "secret" ingredient that nobody else uses - lard.  I put about 1/4 cup or so in the CI dutch oven and let it melt over medium to med-low heat. 
Added a medium onion diced large and cooked till clear, not browned.
Removed onion and added about a pound of sausage cut into medium chunks.  This time I used Bremer's home-made - otherwise I use Conecuh. I split the links down the middle and then cut into medium chunks.
Let it brown a bit in the lard, then removed the sausage and added the beans.
Added the onions and sausage to the beans and folded 'em in - you don't want to break up the beans.
Seasoned to taste.
Reduced heat to low and cooked for about 90 minutes.  Stirred occasionally and checked seasoning and texture.  You don't want 'em falling apart, you want 'em to stay on a fork when you stab 'em.
If they get mushy, dump 'em out and start over.

That's it- very simple. 
LARD..."the other vegetable oil"
<><

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »
Jack,
Thank you for posting the secret green bean recipe. I will not share it (the recipe - but will the results) any further. Gosh, I can almost taste (and will this weekend!)  am looking forward to April.

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »
Oh nooo y'all sure know how to punish a fellow. I was just getting over not being able to be there because my run of bad luck at the last minute. We got a flu shot and I guess it worked because I ended up with flu symptoms, oh and the refrigerator went out to.  Those pictures were so good, I could almost taste the food. Looks like everyone had a good time and had enough to eat. Jack sure has a nice setup and a good helper...Miss Deb. Hope we can make the next one.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »
Two guys we were all looking forward to meeting...DRHolly and JJJonz...

next time boys!!

just sayin'...
<><

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »
Two guys we were all looking forward to meeting...DRHolly and JJJonz...

next time boys!!

just sayin'...
Yup we (at least me) owe you! Enjoyed the conversation and had great call with Albert. This is one fantastic group of friends.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 11:34:23 AM »
I promised you a video of this event and here it is. Just remember, I didn't promise a good video, just a video. And also remember that we actually had about 10 times more fun than it shows on the video. Enjoy watching.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:43:37 AM by IR2dum »