Author Topic: How do I season my new du buyer pans?  (Read 34349 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
How do I season my new du buyer pans?
« Reply #-1 on: December 26, 2015, 10:46:37 AM »
I remember someone seasoning thier skillets, and I'm gonna have a set of 3 real soon, I'm so excited but need to know how to season them correctly. Looking for suggestions..Thanks in advance.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

Re: How do I season my new du buyer pans?
« on: December 26, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »
I bought one and had a heck of a time trying to get it seasoned with organic flax seed oil. Everything stuck to it. I was ready to throw it out. I finally stripped it back to bare metal and switched to coconut oil and it came out perfect. I heated the pan on the stove top and then rubbed a little coconut oil inside and out with a paper towel. Then I used another clean paper towel to rub the excess off. You should be able to feel the oil with your fingertip but it should look like there is none on there. Put it upside down in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour, then shut off and let it cool down in there. Take out and wipe all over with paper towel to get rid of any blotchiness and start over from the beginning again. Do this 3 to 4 times. Mine now is so slippery and can cook perfect fried eggs without sticking. After I use it I wash with water only and dry it and heat up a bit on the stovetop and rub with a very tiny bit of coconut oil before I store it. It doesn't go rancid like some other oils can.
                                                                                               Hope that helps
                                                                                                        Fred
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »
Here is a link to a great video that I used. I did 10 coats of flaxseed oil. Trick is using a VERY THIN coat of oil. You will think you aren't using any oil at all.

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
Spraying PAM works great for carbon steel seasoning
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
Check out my post from when I seasoned mine. I overdid mine. Since my wife used one of them and burned her food in it, I must remove the seasoning that is left and start over.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »
Check out my post from when I seasoned mine. I overdid mine. Since my wife used one of them and burned her food in it, I must remove the seasoning that is left and start over.

Art
I couldn't find your post on seasoning..I thought it was you, wasn't sure, can you post link please? 

Nevermind..I finally found it..but thanks for the info   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:02:34 PM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »
This is a good thread to have up and going - since I know a few of us grabbed that killer deal on DeBuyer pans today.

Any links you all find - put them in here. I would like to have a sticky where we can all refer to the seasoning process and variations that some you have tried and what you liked - and what you did not.
Thanks!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »
Many years ago when I purchased my set, I just followed the very simple instructions on the pan labels. You need to peel potatoes and boil the peelings in water for given time. This is to remove a protective coating of bee's wax. Clean, dry and swipe with reccomended oil (I can't recall ) heat, wipe and store with a faint coat of oil. The more you use these the better they get. So much better than non-stick!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »
Many years ago when I purchased my set, I just followed the very simple instructions on the pan labels. You need to peel potatoes and boil the peelings in water for given time. This is to remove a protective coating of bee's wax. Clean, dry and swipe with reccomended oil (I can't recall ) heat, wipe and store with a faint coat of oil. The more you use these the better they get. So much better than non-stick!

Exactly what I did, Gene. As I recal, the instructions were on the cardboard sleeve the pans came in. Today they are pretty black and not very pretty - but that's what they are supposed to do. I use the same oil that I use on my cast iron - coconut.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
I missed out, wanted the 8 and 10 inch. I got tired of waiting and gave up. They must have been swamped! I have a 10 inch and like it. I think I heated mine in the oven per directions to get rid of the bees wax and then did one seasoning in the oven with grape seed oil. I did three batches of jowl bacon in it before cooking anything else. Here is a link to a post I did but sorry I didn't give as much info as I should have.  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=14280.msg192915#msg192915

I use it quite often and just did my Christmas Eve shrimp in it. I find myself using my Lodge CS 10 inch more often since it's lighter and cooks as well and cleans up well. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Bigfish8

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
Here is a link to a great video that I used. I did 10 coats of flaxseed oil. Trick is using a VERY THIN coat of oil. You will think you aren't using any oil at all.

Thank you for posting this link.  It appears that I will be for a very lengthly process!

Ken
Grill Dome XL
Weber 22" & 26" Kettle
Grillman 2' X 3" Stainless Gas Grill
Grillman 2' X 3' Black Steel Gas Grill
Stainless Steel "Big Poppa" Drum Smoker
Blaz'n Grand Slam Pellet Grill

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 10:13:49 AM »

Thank you for posting this link.  It appears that I will be for a very lengthly process!

Ken

You kinda get into a rhythm. I had to make chicken scratches to keep track of how many times I did it. As I know my memory would fail me
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »

Ken

You kinda get into a rhythm. I had to make chicken scratches to keep track of how many times I did it. As I know my memory would fail me

Oh my goodness, those poor chickens....  :o :o
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

Re: How do I season my new du buyer pans? de buyer in the house
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »
I'm about to peel potatoes and boil for 15 minutes then heat in 350º oven for an hour..do it several times. No flaxseed oil so will use organic coconut oil, I have that..wish me luck..I love these pans already.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: How do I season my new du buyer pans? de buyer in the house
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:09 AM »
I'm about to peel potatoes and boil for 15 minutes then heat in 350º oven for an hour..do it several times. No flaxseed oil so will use organic coconut oil, I have that..wish me luck..I love these pans already.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
You are going to love them even more once you start using them!
Member #