Author Topic: Dehydrator Models  (Read 26570 times)

Offline RandyG

Dehydrator Models
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »
I am a jerky addict and want to start making my own.
I see a lot of you seem to really like the LEM.
Is this the go to brand or does everyone have other suggestions ?
Is it better to go with the stainless steel model over the plastic ? How reliable and durable are they ?
Even though it is expensive would it be better to go with like the Cabela IK-515819 ?
I also see a lot of Excalibur models out there.
I would eventually like to move up to sausage making too.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Dehydrator Models
« on: May 31, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
Dehydrators operate at temps. usually lower than 150F. So - they need not be as "robust" as cookers. Stainless is always nice - as long as it is of a grade of stainless that is meaningful, i.e. - will not corrode. ( Believe it or not - much of the stainless you see today WILL rust.  )The LEM is really nice.

Some of the plastic models have trays that look like the pattern of expanded metal. Avoid them. They become so brittle that they break just from handling. And...wonder where those plasticizers that left the plastic trays went to? (YIKES...)

SO - lots of good options - even building your own with plywood, and lining it with thin stainless or high temp plastic can be done. Plans are not eh 'net for that.

I own a Cabela's similar to the one you listed ( got it from a member here - nepas ) I love it. Works great. But, unless you are going to do a LOT of jerky - it may be too big. I typically make 30 lbs. at a time.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »
I had to down size to the round 1000w open country. Works good in the 5th wheel.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline KyNola

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »
I have the Excalibur brand.  Works great for me.

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
Dehydrator Models
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 03:23:23 PM »
The Cabela's 1K-515819 is what I have now and I couldn't be happier with it. I previously had a Cabela's 1K-540062 and although it worked ok there were some drawbacks. The biggest being that no matter how carefully they were handled, the trays were made of brittle plastic and they cracked. The other thing I didn't like was the fact that there was no door, the 10 trays made up the front so they all had to be in place whether you were using them or not. Spend the extra and get the "commercial" model from the get-go would be my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »
I have this one from Bass Pro, got it on sale for $199 a few years back and it's worked good so far. http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Stainless-Steel-10Tray-Food-Dehydrator/product/1303230601415/

Offline RandyG

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:18:06 PM »
Thanks for everyones input.
I caved to the $100 off temptation and ended up pulling the trigger.
Was pretty concerned when I saw the condition of the box but after initial inspection the unit doesn't seem to be damaged.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:35:52 PM by RandyG »

Offline Kona

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline tailfeathers

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 10:14:02 PM »
That's the unit I have and it works a treat.  I like to marinate my sliced eye round overnight (try Smoking Gun marinade it you can find it) one pint of marinade plus one tsp of cure one per 5 lbs of meat. Into the smoker at 160F for a couple hours to get a little smoke flavor, then transfer to the dehydrator until it is done. Bend a piece and it should not break, you should see white fibers. Cool in a brown paper bag and enjoy or vac seal for later. You will find that all the jerky wont be done at the same time, just remove the pieces as they are ready. The main thing to remember is that you are drying the meat as opposed to cooking it. The cure one ensures food safety.
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
LEM stuffer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline DWard51

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
I have the LEM 10 tray model and it seems pretty durable to me.  Of course they were on sale for $119 when I bought it so that really influenced my choice.   I wash the racks in our dishwasher and just make sure I select the "air dry" option as I don't want to chance the heat from the element damaging them as I have to use the lower rack due to size.  No issues at all doing it this way.  I've also found that unless I pack it slap full, I don't need to rotate or flip the trays as it drys evenly.

They have recently changed the design and added a removable drip tray and double doors to the current version.  I have the old one (model change is probably why they were on sale so low), but I just put a hand towel in the bottom and what few drips there may be are not an issue.

But those stainless Cabela's commercial models sure look nice (but pricey).

Offline RandyG

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »
That's the unit I have and it works a treat.  I like to marinate my sliced eye round overnight (try Smoking Gun marinade it you can find it) one pint of marinade plus one tsp of cure one per 5 lbs of meat. Into the smoker at 160F for a couple hours to get a little smoke flavor, then transfer to the dehydrator until it is done. Bend a piece and it should not break, you should see white fibers. Cool in a brown paper bag and enjoy or vac seal for later. You will find that all the jerky wont be done at the same time, just remove the pieces as they are ready. The main thing to remember is that you are drying the meat as opposed to cooking it. The cure one ensures food safety.
I really want to give the Smoking Gun marinade a try after reading the posts and seeing the pics regarding it. However like also was mentioned the shipping is so high. For me the marinade at $37.25 for a gallon and shipping coming in higher than the product at $39.99 comes to a total of $77.24 and that's tough for now. Maybe sometime down the line.

Offline tailfeathers

Dehydrator Models
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »
I'm fortunate to be able to buy it locally but it's still @ $25 for a half gallon. I didn't realize what a gift I was getting when a member of another forum gave me a gallon of it. He lives in Lincoln NE where it is produced. Thanks again Ragweed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
LEM stuffer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline DWard51

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
I really want to give the Smoking Gun marinade a try after reading the posts and seeing the pics regarding it. However like also was mentioned the shipping is so high. For me the marinade at $37.25 for a gallon and shipping coming in higher than the product at $39.99 comes to a total of $77.24 and that's tough for now. Maybe sometime down the line.

I think I ended up paying $67 to get my gallon shipped to GA.  A gallon makes a lot of jerky (either whole muscle traditional style or ground beef based).  I will absolutely be reordering and paying to have it shipped once my current gallon runs out.  I think I've made about 40 pounds of jerky so far and a few hamburgers, but that takes less per pound, and I'm still showing about 40% of the jug left (rough guess on both quantity an volume).

To give you an idea of how good it is (I'm making the ground beef jerky rounds - yes, thanks Ragweed!!!), I've had 3 or 4 people at my office and my daughters office ask if I'm going to start selling it by the pound.  Still on the fence about that.  Don't mind selling to the people on my team, but not to people I don't really know.  But it's a very good product.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 01:59:53 PM »
1st-stainless steel
2-round plastic with a powerful fan on top
3-square plastic with no fan.

thats my order of choice,owned 2 and 3,2 is a good compromise for price vrs capability.My home unit is a large wooden 20 tray from the 1970's,its one low temp,2 fans,and takes 3 days to make a frekin' ton of jerky.

I make my own marinades,its almost impossible to make a crummy marinade,cant imagine paying 37 dollars for a gallon,YIKES!!!! Just look em up,mine are mostly soy sauce based,some Worcestershire base liquid,and some teriyaki,I heve never made a batch that wasnt yummy to the max.Salty base,brown sugar,HONEY,thyme,oregano,peppers,WHISKEY is great flavoring,mix and match,they are always good in my experience.

I dont use cure,i use salty and sweet marinades and figure Im safe,YOU may not want to do that,just what Ive always done without an issue,and millions agree.Your choice.

I have 12 lbs in refer right now Im going to trade for an old buck knife,GREAT trade item.Funny folks always ask for it,have no idea how much time and expense to make it.

When I process round steak or London Broil I get 2/3rds jerky,1/3rd trim.That trim,all of it, is run thru meat grinder,makes a fine burger!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »
Excellent choice OP!   ;)  If you are making a lot get equipment that will last,well done!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.