Author Topic: First attempt at GB Jerky  (Read 19842 times)

Offline RandyG

First attempt at GB Jerky
« Reply #-1 on: July 03, 2016, 06:03:09 PM »
A couple weeks ago I gave jerky making my first try.
I did around five pounds at 160 degrees for 5 hours in the Cabela's, as I affectionately refer to it, Jerky Machine.
It seemed ok at 4 hours but I didn't want to make anyone sick so I went an extra hour.
I'm wondering if it would have been ok earlier. It seemed a little dry to me but my wife's co-workers went crazy over it.
I started lowering the temp after 4 hours since it seemed to be going to far.
About to try another batch of a little over three pounds so thinking it will take a little less time maybe ?
So I wanted to ask all you jerky pros your recommendations for time/temp.
I know it's done when it's done when it comes to jerky, but what are some general guidelines ? I am not pre-cooking or smoking. Should I go for a lower temp for longer time ? Food safety wise since the cure is in there should I be ok ?

Offline RandyG

Re: First attempt at GB Jerky
« on: July 03, 2016, 06:10:21 PM »
Inside the "Jerky Machine"

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »
That's a really nice looking dehydrator!

Ground beef carries more risk than whole strips of beef, so it has to be treated a little differently to stay safe.

Unless you are adding Cure #1 to the mix (contains 6.25% Sodium nitrite),  or are using a pre-made mix which contains sodium nitrite, then Do NOT use a lower temp!   160° is right at the edge of where you should be drying uncured ground meat.  I personally wouldn't go below 165°

If you add 1 level tsp Cure #1 per 5 lbs ground beef, or if you're using a pre-made mix which contains sodium nitrite, THEN you can safely dry at a lower temp for a longer period.

Cure #1 prevents Botulism, and the 165° temp will take care of any E. Coli or Salmonella.

The more dry the final product is, the less likely it will be able to harbor any dangerous bacteria or grow mold.

P.S. Some common brand names of Cure #1 are: Prague Powder #1, DQ Cure #1, Insta-Cure #1.  Just make sure it contains 6.25% sodium nitrite.

Hope this helps!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline DWard51

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
Good looking jerky Randy!!!!

Like TentHuntR said, cure is the way to go with GB jerky.  I've always used it with mine and never had an issue.  I generally dry mine at 140* and I get about a 55-65% weight reduction from the wet product to the final.   I usually dry mine to the 'bend texture' which is it starts to really crack open, but not fully crack when bent 90*.  I still want some chew in mine. Also I have found the outside of GB jerky will be much dryer when first out of the dehydrator, but after 24 hours or so in a paper bag, it evens out throughout the entire product.

GB jerky properly dried and made with cure is pretty much shelf stable when dehydrated.  You can run into issues with white mold wanting to grow on the outside after about a month, but mine does not usually last that long.  This happened to me once and the jerky was in a plastic bag which trapped moisture. I've started vacuum packing mine into what I think I will eat in a week and then freeze the packs.  Just take it out a day before you need it to thaw (still sealed bag). Once open it never lasts long enough to for mold to be a problem.

Offline RandyG

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »
Great looking jerky!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven