Author Topic: A new way to shop for meals....Home chef  (Read 20078 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

A new way to shop for meals....Home chef
« Reply #-1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »
The cost if true seems interesting but Like most of you I like using my own meat, spices & extras.

Where I could see a use is for a new recipe or style of cooking where we might want to try to make something new. In this case you would not have to buy ingredients that you might not use again like the oil in this video. You would just receive what you need. I have never made Indian food but I like it out,......so I might use this company for that without investing money in extra supplies I might not use again.

Again, I like the cost if you really do save

https://www.facebook.com/realhomechef/videos/914456302007454/

Thoughts
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pappymn

A new way to shop for meals....Home chef
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »
Lot of these meal in a box companies right now.  A lot of competition for customers. This businesses model smells like the dot.com bubble to me
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline DWard51

Re: A new way to shop for meals....Home chef
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »
One of my co-workers has a daughter who does the Blue Apron home delivery thing.  They love it.  I looked into it, but it's either $60 (3 meals for 2 people) or $70 (2 meals for 4 people) a week for their lowest priced plans.  That is $3,120 and $3,640 a year.  I might be more inclined if it was one package a week or every other week, but that's a little too much mail order pricing for my taste.

On the other hand they do rave about the quality of the food that they have been receiving from the program.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:50:18 PM »
My two kids have used HelloFresh and have enjoyed most of the meals.

They both say, though, that the prep time is really underestimated.

Oh, and not cheap, either.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »
I've been following some threads on Facebook for a while concerning these meal/box services and I like the concept.  Some are more flexible regarding ordering than others and some play price niches (both high and low). I've yet to try one, though.  What I often do, however is go to my local mega-mongo-hypermarket grocery store and buy the meat at the counter (just enough) then shop the "salad bar" area where most of the other ingredients I'll need are available in small quantities (don't have to buy a whole head of green things or a big bag of stuff -- just enough for the meal I'm fixing).  Nothing rots or grows penicillin in the fridge  :D

I'm usually out of there for around ten bucks a meal for the wife and I.  I do use my own spices and condiments but those don't go bad if properly stored.  Relatively cheap eats compared to paying the tab at a restaurant (usually twenty to thirty bucks for us).  And, I get the fun of the "hunt" -- shopping.  If I were still working full time I'd likely be using one of those services just to save time.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:28:11 PM »
Our son and wife used the Blue Apron for a while and liked it. I forget what it was but one meal he didn't want gave it to me and it was good. Must not have been that great if I can't remember what it was! :) The one thing I did like about it was it just had the right amount of spices and herbs and some hard to find items around here. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 05:26:01 PM »
Our son and wife used the Blue Apron for a while and liked it. I forget what it was but one meal he didn't want gave it to me and it was good. Must not have been that great if I can't remember what it was! :) The one thing I did like about it was it just had the right amount of spices and herbs and some hard to find items around here. Don

I agree Don & when you want to make something new that you might not make again it would have value..

But Don when you start your company I want to be the first to sign up ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »

But Don when you start your company I want to be the first to sign up ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ditto, I'll get in line for that! 

And let's be honest-- it would have had to have been one dang incredible meal to compare to the stuff Don cranks out just about every night of the week, so small wonder he forgot about it!!  ;D   Unless maybe it was just a box full of fresh bread and a metric ton of butter.  ;)   ;)
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »
My single children are " Cooking Impared"  :-X
In an attempt to eat healthier they have tried "Blue Apron " & if you can follow directions they say you can make some really good meals.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp