Author Topic: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review  (Read 70349 times)

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #284 on: April 30, 2018, 08:42:47 PM »
Smoke, so yesterday I bought the full upper grate to work a setup like yours. Cook on top with a pan underneath. My question to you, what do you think of getting another solid full size rack for the bottom instead of split grates?  Any usefulness to that?

I'm getting ready to order a second full upper rack, because occasionally I have a need to cook a full load of chicken for a party, etc., and the chicken needs to be swapped (upper/lower racks) half-way through the cook. 

Two full upper racks will make a task like this easy as you can just carefully swap the two racks instead of having to move the chicken pieces.  Otherwise, I don't really see a lot of advantage.

My set up for this situation is a little different. I use a baking pan - with shallow sides. About 1/2" tall walls. Then I place a thin wire rack on top of it. One that fits this size pan or is slightly smaller is perfect. Now - I place the item to be cooked on the wire rack sitting on the baking pan. When the cooked item is cooked -whether it be a chicken or butt, etc... I can pick up the baking pan, and set it another one in the spot where I had the last one cooking.
That’s a GREAT method... and makes cleanup SUPER easy...unless you drop the pan...lol!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: MAK 2 Star Pellet Grill Review
« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »
That’s a GREAT method... and makes cleanup SUPER easy...unless you drop the pan...lol!!

Well...If you drop the pan....what you will be having fro dinner is reservations..... ;) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »

Well...If you drop the pan....what you will be having fro dinner is reservations..... ;) :D
Seems somebody has forgotten about the 5 second rule ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2018, 09:31:48 PM »
Smoke, so yesterday I bought the full upper grate to work a setup like yours. Cook on top with a pan underneath. My question to you, what do you think of getting another solid full size rack for the bottom instead of split grates?  Any usefulness to that?

Well, I do like the split grates so they are easy to remove if you are going to remove only one flamezone cover and do high heat grilling on the back part of the grill and do indirect on the front part.

It's also probably just as easy to remove the full grate as well.

Can't go wrong either way if you ask me. :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »
Well, I will call this latest installment:  "Wendy cooks again on the MAK"  :)

This was a total surprise to me. I got called into work and Wendy handled supper.

She marinated some London Broil in her secret concoction and cubed it and skewered it with green pepper and onion

She removed the back flame zone cover and didn't use the searing grate, she just put the split cooking grate back in.
So she was set up with indirect cooking in the front and grilling over the flame zone in the back of the grill......Wendy pays attention when The Smoke talks :)
Twice stuffed baked potaters got put in the front.

Wendy is getting her smoke on!!

What a feast to sit down to after cooking at work all day :)

First off, I would like to say publicly that if Wendy and the MAK can keep making me meals like this, work can call me in anytime they want!!

Secondly, ladies, I am telling ya. Get yourself a MAK. Wendy will not get near an open flame. Charcoal, propane,gas, nope she aint having any of that.

But look at this meal. She plugged the MAK in and got her Flame Zones set up how she wanted them. Pushed a button and set the temp.

Come on guys, you can also be married to a pitmaster like me. Get your gal a MAK, maybe they will let you use it once in a while :)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »
OH man she did great Smoke!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline MadFoodScientist

« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
Wow- that sounds like an excellent surprise/meal to come home to.
Mak 2 Star General
Big Steel Keg
Louisiana Grill CS-540

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #291 on: May 03, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
Great looking meal Scott & Wendy. And you are so right...MAKs are as easy to use as any home stove or oven. And a lot more flavorful food is the result.
My wife has been cooking on pellet grills as long as I have (27 years) and she has a great time cooking on it. I think I know what one of our weekend dinners is going to be....courtesy of Mrs. Smoke!
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: May 03, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
You are in for some good eats Mr.BBQ  :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »

Well, I do like the split grates so they are easy to remove if you are going to remove only one flamezone cover and do high heat grilling on the back part of the grill and do indirect on the front part.

It's also probably just as easy to remove the full grate as well.

Can't go wrong either way if you ask me. :)

^^ :thumbup:
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline RAD

« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2018, 05:20:31 PM »
She did really goood
Love to cook and eat

Offline rwalters

« Reply #295 on: May 03, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »
Nicely done, Wendy!!!!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »
Very delicious looking dinner!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »

I'm getting ready to order a second full upper rack, because occasionally I have a need to cook a full load of chicken for a party, etc., and the chicken needs to be swapped (upper/lower racks) half-way through the cook. 

Two full upper racks will make a task like this easy as you can just carefully swap the two racks instead of having to move the chicken pieces.  Otherwise, I don't really see a lot of advantage.

My set up for this situation is a little different. I use a baking pan - with shallow sides. About 1/2" tall walls. Then I place a thin wire rack on top of it. One that fits this size pan or is slightly smaller is perfect. Now - I place the item to be cooked on the wire rack sitting on the baking pan. When the cooked item is cooked -whether it be a chicken or butt, etc... I can pick up the baking pan, and set it another one in the spot where I had the last one cooking.

Yep, that should work well for what most folks are going to want to cook.

Where I see a benefit of having two full upper racks which can be swapped from top to bottom, is the occasional (and somewhat extreme) need for LOADING up the MAK with something like 80 - 100 pieces of chicken at a time, like this:

This was my old MAK 1 Star with the older upper rack design (with the legs).

IRONICALLY (talk about timing)...   just today I got a call about the Band Boosters annual "Golf Outing" fundraiser (in July) where they want both pulled pork and chicken for 60 - 80 people!

This is actually very on-topic for this review, because the MAK 1 & 2 Stars are BOTH superb chicken cookers for large events! 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

« Reply #298 on: May 03, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »

Yep, that should work well for what most folks are going to want to cook.

Where I see a benefit of having two full upper racks which can be swapped from top to bottom, is the occasional (and somewhat extreme) need for LOADING up the MAK with something like 80 - 100 pieces of chicken at a time, like this:

This was my old MAK 1 Star with the older upper rack design (with the legs).

IRONICALLY (talk about timing)...   just today I got a call about the Band Boosters annual "Golf Outing" fundraiser (in July) where they want both pulled pork and chicken for 60 - 80 people!

This is actually very on-topic for this review, because the MAK 1 & 2 Stars are BOTH superb chicken cookers for large events!
I’ve seen this pics numerous times since that cook... and it’s very impressive. I don’t think I’ve ever asked, but what temp did you have the Pellet Boss set to, and do you have any pics of the finished product?  Super curious.