Author Topic: How to break in your Grillgrates  (Read 21550 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: How to break in your Grillgrates
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
The super big Grill Grates spatula cleans the inside grooves nicely...………...I used to always spray em down with quick release spray before every cook.

So Smoke you don't buy into this statement  "That is not a criticism of the product, I love mine and use them regularly. It is a reminder to all that you should NEVER "clean" them with anything that can abrade, scratch, cut, or otherwise damage the surface. This would also include the type of tools you use to flip or remove food from them."
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »
I don't really clean mine that much.  I mostly let the previous cook burn off while I'm warming up for the new cook.  If my previous cook was really messy, like using a lot of sauce, I have used the flat head screwdriver, but I don't really press it down, just use it to knock the sauce out of the channels.

Here's what Grill Grates sells to clean their product:

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
I don't really clean mine that much.  I mostly let the previous cook burn off while I'm warming up for the new cook.  If my previous cook was really messy, like using a lot of sauce, I have used the flat head screwdriver, but I don't really press it down, just use it to knock the sauce out of the channels.

Here's what Grill Grates sells to clean their product:

BD

Thanks BD will be on a future list first I got to get them dirty ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline BlackC5

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 12:01:17 AM »
When New, I washed my Grill Grates, then sprayed with Virgin Olive Oil before using.  Have not washed them again since New.  Always start my pellet grill to 375 to heat and burn-off prior seasoned cooks and scrape with a two-inch paint scraper.  I only use my Grill Grates "Flat Side" up for everything.  Hamburger, steak, salmon, chicken breast, turkey breast.  I get an even all over sear but no sear marks, which is okay for me.  I heat, scrape and spray with Virgin Olive Oil each cook, increasing or lowering the temp afterwards depending on what I am cooking.  The only time I do not use the Grill Grates is when doing pulled pork or bacon.

Offline Hub

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
My GG's have about two hundred thousand miles on them and have turned totally black.  Every now and then I take a screwdriver and ream out the holes on the bottom, then put them in a plastic bag full of soapy water for a few days.  Next, I rinse them with the garden hose, spray them with cooking oil spray and set out for another hundred thousand miles or so ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN