Author Topic: So You Want To Compete?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Hub

So You Want To Compete?
« Reply #-1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:58:58 AM »
So You Want To Compete?

Copyright 2011
Gordon Hubbell
KCBS MCBJ & CTC

This article isn’t about how to cook in competition.  Here, I’m going to cover the non-cooking details that are just as important if you want to compete well and have fun (and maybe even win).

Whatever your motivation to consider competition you need to know about and plan for a lot more than just walking up onto the stage and claiming your prize.  Here is some very important background information on six extremely critical aspects of being a good competitor:

•   What Contests Are
•   Costs of Contesting
•   Teams
•   Equipment and Organizational Logistics
•   Time Commitment
•   Psychology of Competition

You can learn all about the above via the School of Hard Knocks, but I’d like to save you a little time and aggravation.  So . . .

What Contests Are

Some contests are informal and don’t have a lot of rules.  They tend to arise on the spur of the moment for the fun of it and/or to raise some money for a charity or other worthy cause.  These are referred to as Non-Sanctioned contests.  This means, typically, that they are local and limited in scope.  Winning them may pay a little cash or a trophy, but mostly they pay “bragging rights”.  I’ve competed in several over the years and I’ve had lots of fun doing it.  Some of the best ones grow into eagerly anticipated annual events in their communities.  Just because a contest isn’t sanctioned doesn’t mean it isn’t real competition – sometimes it gets cutthroat!  It just means there’s no centrally located, national or regional governing body that records contest entrants and results and governs how the contest works.  Often, this means lower costs to compete, but not always.  Also, there usually aren’t many rules so anything goes when it comes to styles and judging parameters.

Sanctioned contests are the most common ones.  The major sanctioning bodies for the majority of barbeque contest events in the United States are (with their Internet address conveniently listed next to them):

Kansas City Barbeque Society – KCBS (www.kcbs.us)
International Barbeque Cookers Association – IBCA (www.ibcabbq.org)
Memphis Barbeque Network – MBN (www.mbnbbq.com)

Some states also have well organized and active sanctioning bodies that conduct contests.     Many states also have barbeque associations and the best way to find out what they do is to just enter your state’s name and the word “barbeque” into a search engine and scan the results.  Often you’ll find a state-based barbeque group, but it may not sanction contests or they may be very limited in number or scope.  Another great resource to see “who is sponsoring a contest where and when” is:

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php/component/webring/?controller=calendar  (copy this and paste it in your browser)

KCBS, the Kansas City Barbeque Society, conducts contests and educational activities nation-wide in the US and is expanding into Europe.  Investigate this one if you’d like to cook chicken, pork, and beef competitively.

IBCA, the International Barbeque Cookers Association, also sanctions contests pretty much all over the country and sometimes co-sanctions with state and foreign contest groups.  For IBCA competition you can also prepare beef, pork and chicken plus there are some other organized categories like beans and deserts.

MBN, the Memphis Barbeque Network, is a pork-only group and they have quite a few contests in various areas.  MBN is renowned for “whole hog” cooking but there are other categories, too. 

All of these sanctioning bodies have membership requirements in certain instances and relatively complex and well-developed rules about how a contest works.  All have very good Internet presence and provide a wealth of information, free, concerning their organization, membership requirements and contest rules and methods.   I think choosing one sanctioning body to begin with is a good idea.  Yes, there are lots of teams competing in multiple-sanction competition, but they tend to be highly experienced and can “switch gears” as necessary.  That takes time, skill and resources you don’t have yet if you’re a “newbie”.

Costs of Contesting

Some contests will feature “backyard” sections for new contesters or folks just wanting to have fun cooking in a contest.  A benefit of this is a lower entry fee.

If you enter a backyard contest of a sanctioned event, many of the rules will still apply to you and you’ll want to know what you can cook, how you can cook it, and when.  Your entries will still receive careful judging, and there are sometimes cash prizes.  If you enter the regular contest (and it is okay to do so if you have at least some knowledge of what it takes) you’ll be subject to all of the rules.  But, your potential winnings will be the same as the “big guys”. 

Your costs to compete are going to break out into these categories:

•   Entry Fees
•   Travel and Lodging
•   Meat and Supplies
•   Equipment
•   Miscellaneous Extras

The costs listed below are typical but vary a great deal based on the type of contest and the seriousness of the competitor.

Entry Fees:

You pay these up-front and early to secure a spot.  Some contests will pretty much take all the entries they can get.  Some have limits on the numbers of teams.  A few are “invitational” like the limited divisions of the American Royal (KCBS) or Jack Daniels and you have to qualify by placing highly in other contests plus ante up your share. 

I’d say a fairly typical entry fee for an “average” contest is around $350 and usually includes your basic space.  Amenities like on-site running water, electrical outlets, and individual port-a-potties, may be limited in availability and cost extra if they are available at all.  Suffer through your first contest without them to really learn what you’ll need (or take a guess and pay up).  I recommend registering and paying your fee at least 90 days in advance and, even then, you’ll find some popular contests are closed or only taking contingent entries.  Good contest organizers always give a complete coverage of entry requirements, deadlines, and fees and amenities on their websites.

Travel and Lodging:

Unless your chosen contest is local, you’ll spend some significant bucks on gas to get there and back.  If you’re going to a distant one you may even want to include a night’s lodging.  Yes, you’ll likely be cooking on site all night but long drives and lots of smoke can be very tiring.  A few hours in a good bed and a hot shower are real necessities, sometimes.  Consider it.  Also, remember that it takes a truck and sometimes a trailer to haul your gear.  My “rig” gets a whopping eleven miles per gallon and ten gallons of gas to move it a hundred miles or so now costs . . . well, you get the idea!

Meat and Supplies:

Here’s where “typical” has to be used again because you may have meat in the freezer and consider it a cost already paid.  However, even when purchased on sale, your meats will add up.  Here’s an example of what a team might prepare for a KCBS contest, entering all four categories (chicken, ribs, pork and brisket):

•   12-18 chicken thighs
•   2 Racks spareribs or baby-back ribs
•   1 medium-large  “Boston Butt” pork roast
•   1 medium-large beef brisket

In a contest situation, although this list seems to be large it is actually basic and realistic.  In KCBS contests, there must be at least six pieces in each judging container (easy to count for chicken pieces and ribs) and enough food (slices or pieces of brisket depending on how cut, and enough pork pieces or slices for six judges).  Other sanctioning bodies may differ on entry size.  Find out what you’ll need to turn in and plan to cook at least that much plus some. 

Why cook extra meat?  Well, in spite of the best laid plans, things can go wrong during a cook.  Next, no two pieces of meat ever come out exactly the same and you want to present your very, very best as your entry.  There also has to be enough for sampling by the team.  Thus, experienced contesters will often buy and cook more than what I’ve listed.  It isn’t unusual for there to be two or three briskets and butts and many racks of ribs.  Can you get by with less?  Sure.  For your first contest, just be sure you’ve got enough to fill an entry (and have some for sampling) and chalk it up to learning the ropes if you wind up turning in something that isn’t exactly your best shot!

“Supplies” covers a multitude of stuff and needs to include things like sauce, ice, fuel, foil, bags and wraps, rub and/or spices, garnish,  sanitation gear like wipes and paper towels, condiments that are important to your recipes, refreshments, snacks, and lots of other “disposable/use-uppable” bits for cooking and cleaning.  You may have some around but I almost always spend at least fifty to a hundred bucks “topping up” my portable pantry.  Make a list and, like ol’ Santa, check it twice (maybe three times).

Equipment:

This is “hardware” basically and you’ve probably already got some.  However, to compete you’ve got to think about what you cook, when you cook it, how you cook it, and all the things you use in that process.  I have a checklist I’ve worked up over the years and here’s an abbreviated version (just category listings, not everything I take):

•   Pits (yes, plural – I use at least two and sometimes three)
•   Coolers (plural again – I also use clean empty coolers for holding cooked food)
•   Cutlery (knives, cutting boards, tongs, forks, etc.)
•   Measuring Instruments (thermometers, measuring cups, measuring spoons, etc.)
•   Comfort Gear (chairs, working tables of proper height, water jugs, flashlights and lanterns because the power has been known to fail at contests with some regularity)
•   Clothing (plan on wind, rain, and cold at least)
•   Coverage (an “Easy Up” open tent, sometimes two or three, is a necessity)

Miscellaneous Extras:

I’ve never been to a contest where I didn’t either forget something, or needed something I hadn’t planned on.  There may also be some requirements from the sponsor or local government.  For example, almost all contests require cooking teams to have a fire extinguisher.  Spare batteries for anything battery powered are handy, too.  First aid kits are really a necessity, and I like to use big heavy gloves when handling hot stuff.  I carry tarps for extra rain protection.  My final addition to this list is a small but well equipped tool kit – things always break when you need them most.

The Total?

If you really watch your entries closely and buy just enough to get the job done, you can probably compete in the pro division of a local or nearby contest for $500 - $750 – less, of course, if there’s a backyard division and it has entry fee discounts.  Add some distance and the need for significant amounts of fuel and perhaps some lodging and this goes up fairly quickly.  Several members of teams that compete quite often on “the circuit” (which entails a lot of travel) have told me they work hard to keep their costs per contest in the $1200 range but that it can be a lot more.

Teams

The costs covered above are one of the major reasons competitive barbeque is often approached on a team basis.  Usually, team members share in the costs of the cook but not necessarily equally.   Another good reason is that there is lots of work to do and the really good teams have great organization and division of labor so that everything gets done by the person most skilled at it and perfectly on time. 

Can you solo?  Sure.  Actually, there are quite a few very good barbeque contestants out there who are one-person efforts.  I don’t recommend this for a beginner, however, because you’re going to need several hands available to deal with things you might not have done before.  Besides, having some friends and family along can be fun.

How do teams form?  Most often, I think, sort of informally and naturally, especially at first.  Many teams start out as a group of friends who share a common interest in competing and who are willing to pony up money, skills and time to do it.  Sometimes these groups “bond” and continue for years, and sometimes team members come and go and the team eventually drifts apart. 

Some very dedicated, continually competing, super-serious (and sponsored) teams are actually partnerships or small business corporations with written agreements about their capital input requirements, expenses and division of winnings.  For a serious team, this is a good thing and works a bit like the old adage, “good fences make good neighbors”.  If everything is well spelled out and clear disputes are far less likely and all the team members know exactly what to expect.

Equipment and Organization Logistics

Unless you’re going to compete on a limited basis or already have an arsenal of great equipment there are usually needs for multiple cookers.  Why?  Cooking different meats with differing cooking characteristics and cooking times and having entries ready for turn-in at the proper times requires the right tools for the job.  For instance, cooking time for smaller pieces of chicken is relatively short, while big hunks like briskets and butts require significantly longer times, often at different temperatures.  Ribs usually fall into the middle ground of this range. 

Having the biggest and best toys really isn’t necessary, especially when just starting out.  Lots of contests are won on inexpensive equipment by really good cooks.  I’ve watched the faces of team members at award ceremonies and the folks with the $10,000 custom trailer cooker show real disappointment when somebody with a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker – usually home made at very low expense) takes a big prize and they don’t.  In short, a big expensive cooker is a secondary luxury compared to the skills of the cooks!

Time Commitment

There are really two types of time commitment to a competitive effort:  Actual contest time and preparation time. 

Contest Time:

Most contests are held on Saturdays but there are exceptions.  This would mean that the food preparation and cooking will occur starting sometime Friday afternoon or evening continuing through the night and next morning.  Turn-ins starting around noon on the contest day are common.  Judging requires time, too.  Finally, there’s usually an awards ceremony late in the afternoon where the prizes and trophies are presented.  This means you’re going to devote a day and a half plus travel time as needed for each contest you enter.

Preparation Time:

Getting organized, buying supplies, rounding up equipment and “getting the show on the road” has to be done beforehand.  Experienced teams divide this up into routine tasks and each member often takes an evening or two through the week to work on his or her assignment.  New teams may need a little longer.  Figure that you’ll devote another 8-12 hours (over a day or two) to the prep work. 

Even semi-serious contesting will eat into your calendar.  If you’ve got a demanding, schedule-critical job or business it may take some advance planning to have enough time for a contest.  Also, remember family responsibilities.  That’s why many teams have “floating” membership based on whose schedule will allow them to be available.

Psychology of Competition

This means being mentally ready, not tense and “psyched up”.  A big part of it is knowing what to expect which is why I wrote this article – you’ll enjoy it more if there is less unknown “stuff” hanging over your head.  Experienced cooks are alert and focused for a contest, but aren’t unduly nervous because they know the ropes and are prepared.  Like everything else in life, comfort comes from experience.

Another big part of contest psychology is the attitude of the competitors.  For the most part, at most competitions, most competitors are friendly and approachable.  Lots of friendships get built in the cooking area.  If you are friendly and open, just about everyone else you run into will be, too.  If you let folks know you’re new to the ritual, you’ll get lots of help and advice.  Yes, we compete and compete seriously, but new folks are quite welcome.  Forget something?  (I have, lots of times)  Chances are good somebody will have a spare and will happily loan it to you.  Got a question about cooking?  As long as you’re not asking for somebody’s secret recipe (that’s called “shigging”), chances are good you’ll get lots of answers (some conflicting and confusing – that’s what makes this so much fun).

Yes, there are a small handful of “jerks” that keep to themselves and aren’t friendly or sociable, but they are rare.  One thing to be watchful about is timing.  The evening and night before the contest is fairly relaxed and routine for experienced competitors and a great time to “schmooze” and get to know people.  Contest morning gets hectic and even tense as the turn-in times approach – not a good time to get in each other’s way.  After turn-ins and before the presentations is always relaxed as folks begin packing up and get in some well-earned relaxation time, too.

Recap

To have a positive experience in your first attempts at being a competitive barbequer, remember the following:

1.    Know the rules of your contest and sanctioning body and obey them.
2.   Don’t compete if you can’t afford to – it can be expensive.
3.   Consider forming an informal team to share work and expenses.
4.   Organize people and “stuff” before the contest, not during it.
5.   Commit plenty of time so you won’t be rushing around.
6.   Enjoy your fellow competitors, don’t view them as enemies.

If you’ve got this list covered, I’m certain you’ll have a first contest experience you’ll remember fondly.  You might find out you don’t like competition all that much and either not compete again or limit your efforts to certain times or contests.  Or, you may fall in love with it and wind up in the chase to be the next national champion!  You probably won’t win in your first attempts, but it has happened, so compete like you want to win – you might!

Two more things deserve mention in “rounding out” advice and input for newcomers concerning competition barbeque:

•   Consider taking a class and becoming a judge.  It is far less expensive than competing as a cook and you get well versed in how judging works and what judges look for.  Just like the cooking, though, take your judging seriously.  Remember that the cooks have put in many hours of their time and lots of dollars to get a sample in front of you and they deserve your full commitment and concentration on good judging.

•   If you know a team or have a friend or friends on a team, ask if you can join them for a contest.  You might even offer to help with some of the expenses in return for experiencing what they do.  This is a “no-commitment” way to learn the ropes.

Finally, this information is NOT everything you need to know about the non-cooking side of barbeque competition!  It is just a somewhat detailed run-down of what you are going to learn with some hints and recommendations thrown in to keep you out of the School of Hard Knocks.  If you’ve read this and still want to compete – go do it! 

Hub
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:02:45 AM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Ka Honu

Re: So You Want To Compete?
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »
Very informative.  I don't know whether to be sad or happy that there is no sanctioned (and almost no informal) BBQ competition in Hawaii.  I'd probably get suckered in and find out how lousy I am at it (never been good at rules and playing well with others).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:29:36 AM »
It just sounds like way to much work.....I guess I am just a "Patio-Pitmaster"...............of course your family can be the meanest judges of all...... :'(

Another great informative article Hub!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
Competition - for me - was always a "project and process" oriented exercise.

I looked at it as a tightly scheduled, and coordinated series of steps that require practice in order to meet the deadlines of the comp. - and create a quality product as well.

It is a GREAT training ground, and confidence builder for anyone - *if* you do not look at "winning the trophy" as the only target. THAT is a bonus - that occurs when everything goes right plus some lucky breaks ;) :D....

Participating in some competitions will improve your backyard skills because it will force you to be more disciplined in your approach to cooking. And - you will make some new friends, and learn from others. What could be more fun? ;D

Sure - there are always some folks that only care about winning first - and nothing else counts - but...Is that who YOU really want to be????

I did not think so..... ;)

Remember - even in competition: BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience, and best when shared with friends.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Admin2

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »

Offline smokeringsfletcher

• When there is Smoke...They will Come.....
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
I want to Try it on my own,,Worked with a Couple of teams,Its a blast and a Great learning experience! 8)
55 Gallon Self Built Custom UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker)
Weber small Charcoal Grill
Large Weber Charcoal Grill

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »
What great information!  Not that I would ever compete....I enjoy reading about it, and the successes of others.  I don't know if I spelled that right. ;D (successes)
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
What great information!  Not that I would ever compete....I enjoy reading about it, and the successes of others.  I don't know if I spelled that right. ;D (successes)

Successes is the correct spelling ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:01:55 AM »
Great article Hub! Thanks for taking the time!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM