Author Topic: King Arthut Flour is done for me.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
King Arthut Flour is done for me.
« Reply #-1 on: January 09, 2024, 08:18:31 AM »
This is RACIST
King Arthur Flour in Vermont is having a baking competition. Only non-whites can enter the competition.
I've bought King Arthur Flour for years. No longer. You just lost a faithful customer.

Never again for me. Just sayin.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Re: King Arthut Flour is done for me.
« on: January 09, 2024, 08:29:27 AM »
I just bought some White Lily self rising yesterday. Lol.....
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 02:36:22 PM »
It is
 Vermont, I would expect nothing less.  I also now only buy Krusteaz Pancake mix.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 06:53:32 PM »
I always thought baking had more to do with the color of the bread than the color of the baker.

Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 09:48:43 AM »
I always thought baking had more to do with the color of the bread than the color of the baker.

Jus' sayin'...

Evidently NOT.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 07:35:18 PM »
This is not racist.

I think that what some of you are feeling is commonly called “Reverse Racism.”  It’s an idea that focuses on prejudiced attitudes towards white people.  It’s discrimination, or unequal personal treatment, but it’s not racism.  It’s not racism because it ignores one of racism’s central markers: power.  It’s commonly understood by sociologists and researchers that racism is more than just prejudicial treatment.  Prejudice plus power is the widely accepted basic definition of racism. Or, as two researchers defined it in 1988: “Racism equals power plus prejudice.”

White people may be discriminated against; for example, by ethnic minority business owners who prefer to employ someone from their common backgrounds.  This may sometimes be unlawful.  At other times, it may be a lawful form of “positive action” or “affirmative action” aimed at reducing historically entrenched, intergenerational and systemic inequalities.  But in all these instances—and regardless of whether it’s lawful or not—the term racism, or reverse racism, doesn’t apply because, currently, the favored group does not have, and is not able to use, power or influence.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline KyNola

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 09:24:32 AM »
Courageous reply, pmillen. Thanks for the definitions and explanation.

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 07:59:08 PM »
This is not racist.

I think that what some of you are feeling is commonly called “Reverse Racism.”  It’s an idea that focuses on prejudiced attitudes towards white people.  It’s discrimination, or unequal personal treatment, but it’s not racism.  It’s not racism because it ignores one of racism’s central markers: power.  It’s commonly understood by sociologists and researchers that racism is more than just prejudicial treatment.  Prejudice plus power is the widely accepted basic definition of racism. Or, as two researchers defined it in 1988: “Racism equals power plus prejudice.”

White people may be discriminated against; for example, by ethnic minority business owners who prefer to employ someone from their common backgrounds.  This may sometimes be unlawful.  At other times, it may be a lawful form of “positive action” or “affirmative action” aimed at reducing historically entrenched, intergenerational and systemic inequalities.  But in all these instances—and regardless of whether it’s lawful or not—the term racism, or reverse racism, doesn’t apply because, currently, the favored group does not have, and is not able to use, power or influence.

Nice explanation, but I am going to use my white power to not buy from them again. I don't care about them, if the go under or what, and this is not just because of lil ole me, I mean nothing to them. I don't like how they deal with their customers. They do not value Whitey's, me, and I don't have to buy from them. I think they could have learned from Disney and Budweiser.  My choice, because I still have one. My personal opinion.  ; *))
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline old sarge

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 11:26:10 PM »
I decided to do a little research before commenting. Well, maybe a tad more than a little. In any case, what I found on potluck and visiting companies they listed seems to me to be an opportunity for folks to lift themselves up through hard work. While I think it odd that caucasians are not invited to pitchfest, it was interesting to see the various caucasian owned businesses supporting Project Potluck, some even listed as founding members, game changers, leaders etc. Any program designed to help people better themselves, as long as it is not morally reprehensible, is fine by me. I reckon I am OK with this and I am OK with and respect all opinions pro and con on this baking pitchfest thing.

As for Krusteaz, that is our go to for buttermilk pancake mix, orange cranberry muffins and sweet cornbread. 'nuff said on this topic.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline stalag

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 10:54:00 AM »
For high gluten flour prior to me grinding my own flour I used Montana Sapphire durum wheat.  I found it excellent to use.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 01:34:12 PM »
If this were the only promotion going for King Arthur I may be able to see them discriminating,  But I believe they have other promos going on from time to time that are all-inclusive.  This only ONE event...   It's okay.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 03:32:39 PM »
If this were the only promotion going for King Arthur I may be able to see them discriminating,  But I believe they have other promos going on from time to time that are all-inclusive.  This only ONE event...   It's okay.
Jaxon, I disagree.  I have never seen an All white competition. and stating it that way, for whites only. My personal opinion.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 03:39:54 PM »

Jaxon, I disagree.  I have never seen an All white competition. and stating it that way, for whites only. My personal opinion.

Pam,

I'm with you, or at least I hope I am, and I disagree with @pmillen.

Any limitations put on people based on the immutable characteristics is, by my definition, racist (or some other -ist).

If King Arthur was holding a baking contest and stated in the rules that blacks could not enter would there be same response?  I think that we all know that answer.

If there were a white only Miss America Pageant, etc., etc., etc.

I also support your decision not to purchase their products anymore, although I agree with your conclusion that they don't really much care.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2024, 11:51:45 AM »
In the eyes of the people who are educated in the issue and study it daily (i.e., sociologists, attorneys, judges) this isn't racism or illegal discrimination for the reasons stated in my post.  There are others who hold the opinion that it is.  But those are their individual opinions and will not generate new law.

A myriad of US organizations fight for the rights of all people facing racial injustice or illegal discrimination.  They move quickly to sue to correct it.  I suggest that those who feel strongly that King Arthur Flour's action is racism or illegal discrimination contact an attorney and state their case.  An attorney will put them in touch with any parties that have filed a relevant suit.  They might start with the American Civil Liberties Union.

I've written all I care to write.  I'd rather focus on cooking issues here and use a different forum for discussions on racism.

EDIT:  Added words in blue.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 01:12:14 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2024, 02:09:40 PM »
I agree with pmillen that this thread has gone on long enough
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32