Author Topic: Butchering Class in Kansas City  (Read 1747 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Pappymn

Butchering Class in Kansas City
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »
Very cool LA. Thanks for posting. I would totally do the pork class.....but I live in fly over country. ;(
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Butchering Class in Kansas City
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
Man I would love to do that. I have always had the hankering to be a butcher. My Grandfather was a real butcher and had a butcher shop in Pell City Alabama until the Depression put him out of business. He was old school and took his meat from live on the hoof to cut up and sold. My Dad worked in the shop until he went off to the CCC during the depression and two of my uncles went on to make a career of being butchers. There is some sort of primal satisfaction about cutting up meat before you cook it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
When I was young, like 5 and 6, we would have hog killings where the hogs were killed, scalded, scraped, and butchered.  It was sort of a  social event along with the killing.  Of course, deer hunters when I was growing up, and I guess they still do, will butcher the deer right after the hunt, put numbers on each piece and they draw to see who gets what piece. Notice the difference in attitude of the butchers in NYC and those in the heartland. The fellow in KS turned his desire to help show people a skill into a new business sideline. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »
A local butcher near me has a class for $50.  It would be nice to take it one day.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »
A local butcher near me has a class for $50.  It would be nice to take it one day.

Where do you live Tin?
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »
I have "butchered" a few meals in my lifetime but I would not want to teach that to anyone.....Thank god there was not a camera there ;) ;D

But $50.00 for a class would be good...when I go to my local shop I try to watch what they do.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »
Anyone who has trimmed their own large primal cuts have encountered how difficult it can be like me. Requires super sharp knives and skill. A class like this would be good for learning the basics but from what I have seen from my butcher when working it takes years of practice to get it right.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
Anyone who has trimmed their own large primal cuts have encountered how difficult it can be like me. Requires super sharp knives and skill. A class like this would be good for learning the basics but from what I have seen from my butcher when working it takes years of practice to get it right.

Well except for three things Sharp (quality) knives, Skill and years of practice I think I could handle it?  ;) I would just like a basic class
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

Where do you live Tin?

Ken - I live in Portsmouth VA, but the shop is 20 min down the road in Carrolton.  It's Jeb's Meat Market.  They also have a restaurant attached which puts out the best pulled pork I've had. 

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »
It's a possibility, just a possibility,  that I maybe able to arrange something like that for the Gathering.  My concern is we would not be able to do it individually just watch a demo and I wonder if one would not get just as much from a YouTube video.  Thoughts?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:36 PM »
It's a possibility, just a possibility,  that I maybe able to arrange something like that for the Gathering.  My concern is we would not be able to do it individually just watch a demo and I wonder if one would not get just as much from a YouTube video.  Thoughts?  Dee

Do I need to bring my chainsaw Dee?
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »

Dee,

I think it would be very interesting. And at least we could ask questions during the lesson. Can't do that on a youtube video. If you do that, we could also tape it and have our own youtube video or burn DVDs for those who attend.

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #