Author Topic: Free Kindle eBook on Smoking and Curing  (Read 3047 times)

Offline SiFumar

Re: Free Kindle eBook on Smoking and Curing
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 03:26:53 AM »
Thank you CB.  I do free. ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »
Thanks for the freebie.

Funny story about soaking the chips: My youngest daughter just started working for a new chain restaurant. They haven’t opened the doors yet but have a bunch of people working until they can weed out the dead beats. Doing full prep, mock lunches/dinners, etc… They put a bunch of money and effort in getting this right.

Anyway, one of her duties includes making the ribs, not something she’s done before other than helping me but she is a quick learner.  So, she was going over how she has to take the ribs out of the freezer and beat them into submission until that separated, not sure why they don’t take them out the night before, I know, I know, this is how we do it.

Then she started with how she makes the rub, not bad and it’s all done with fresh ingredients.  She talks about how she has to chop all the spices from a large bunch into fine piles, I like hearing that about a restaurant. And the rub is made fresh every day.

Then she goes into how she has to soak the smoke chips, I stop her and say that’s not correct, she said that she tried to tell them that and she has never seen her dad soak the smoke chips but they told her that you have to smoke the chips. I told her to do it their way until she owns the place. We start taking about how soaking the chips only smolders them until they dry out so they can start smoking.

The point here is that for some reason soaking the chips has gotten out as the way to do chips and you can’t change the mindset. Even at a place that is going everything else correct. I think part of the problem is that the direction on most bags used to tell you to soak the chips. I just checked two different brands and one said “Do not soak the wood” and the other made no mention to soaking the chips.

The ribs go into the smoker for several hours, also good to hear.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pappymn

Free Kindle eBook on Smoking and Curing
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »
Great story. Impressed they do anything from scratch ;)

Good luck to your daughter
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Free Kindle eBook on Smoking and Curing
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »
Thanks for the freebie.

Funny story about soaking the chips: My youngest daughter just started working for a new chain restaurant. They haven’t opened the doors yet but have a bunch of people working until they can weed out the dead beats. Doing full prep, mock lunches/dinners, etc… They put a bunch of money and effort in getting this right.

Anyway, one of her duties includes making the ribs, not something she’s done before other than helping me but she is a quick learner.  So, she was going over how she has to take the ribs out of the freezer and beat them into submission until that separated, not sure why they don’t take them out the night before, I know, I know, this is how we do it.

Then she started with how she makes the rub, not bad and it’s all done with fresh ingredients.  She talks about how she has to chop all the spices from a large bunch into fine piles, I like hearing that about a restaurant. And the rub is made fresh every day.

Then she goes into how she has to soak the smoke chips, I stop her and say that’s not correct, she said that she tried to tell them that and she has never seen her dad soak the smoke chips but they told her that you have to smoke the chips. I told her to do it their way until she owns the place. We start taking about how soaking the chips only smolders them until they dry out so they can start smoking.

The point here is that for some reason soaking the chips has gotten out as the way to do chips and you can’t change the mindset. Even at a place that is going everything else correct. I think part of the problem is that the direction on most bags used to tell you to soak the chips. I just checked two different brands and one said “Do not soak the wood” and the other made no mention to soaking the chips.

The ribs go into the smoker for several hours, also good to hear.
At least they're not boiling the ribs first. ;)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
RAD, pm me with the name of the restaurant where your daughter is working and we will check it out the next time we head down to Pensacola Beach.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline RAD

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
RAD, pm me with the name of the restaurant where your daughter is working and we will check it out the next time we head down to Pensacola Beach.

I'll share with everyone. I haven't tried them yet because they don't open to the public until next week. From what she tells me about the place they are doing everything right at great prices.  They are one of the new stores going into the mall that got destroyed by Hurricane Ivan back in 2004. Three main stores (Sears, Pennies and Belk’s) stayed opened all these years without the support of the small stores bringing the foot traffic. The developers finely got some movement going. Academy has moved there and so far the restaurant she works at has moved there and others are on the way.

The place is called ”Cheddars” and if you look at the menu you will see that it looks like a great place at great prices.

http://www.cheddars.com/

Love to cook and eat

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »

I'll share with everyone. I haven't tried them yet because they don't open to the public until next week. From what she tells me about the place they are doing everything right at great prices.  They are one of the new stores going into the mall that got destroyed by Hurricane Ivan back in 2004. Three main stores (Sears, Pennies and Belk’s) stayed opened all these years without the support of the small stores bringing the foot traffic. The developers finely got some movement going. Academy has moved there and so far the restaurant she works at has moved there and others are on the way.

The place is called ”Cheddars” and if you look at the menu you will see that it looks like a great place at great prices.

Cool, you can go get some good food then browse the grilling and cooking section at Academy.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline RAD

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »

Cool, you can go get some good food then browse the grilling and cooking section at Academy.

Now that would the way to spend an afternoon  ;)
Love to cook and eat