Author Topic: Got me a box today!  (Read 3043 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Got me a box today!
« Reply #-1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
It's a big un... 180lbs

My new Memphis Pellet Grill :D

2 minutes to install the legs. 2 hours to remove the protective laser film :o

A picture of the interior with the drip pan and grill removed. All stainless. The grease catch is located to the right..

Picture of the interior of the hopper located at the front of the grill. It has a grid installed. I assume for sizing the pellets.

And loaded up with apple pellets...

Picture of underneath front of grill where the auger motor and fan are located. Very easy to access. I like that!

Grease tray access from outside grill...

Picture of drip pan installed...

And the grill. Real nice thick stainless steel grill...

Temperature sensor for the grill control is located at grill level at back center of grill...

Time to fire her up for the burn off....

She hit 450 in about 20 minutes after priming the pellets. Nice even temps with about 5 degree temp swings...

Welcome to your new home :)

I did also order the meat probe and the side shelves and they are still on their way via FedEx. Funny how the 180lb grill made it here before the shelves and probe.

I am very impressed how well this grill is made! Even though it is all stainless there is nothing flimsy about it. I am also amazed on how dang quiet this unit is. I am used to the loud fan on the Traeger I guess. My only complaint was having to remove all that laser film...what a pain. But I understand why they use it. With all that stainless they gotta keep it from being scratched ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
Re: Got me a box today!
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
WOW...that is one heck of a grill Muebe. Looking foward to seeing some great cooks from it.
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »
A real beauty muebe!

When you get a chance, run her thru  the paces, and tell us what kind of low and high temps it maintains, and - how much it can actually smoke. If there is one thing I wish for pellet grills  I have used- it would be more smoke.

Thanks!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
A real beauty muebe!

When you get a chance, run her thru  the paces, and tell us what kind of low and high temps it maintains, and - how much it can actually smoke. If there is one thing I wish for pellet grills  I have used- it would be more smoke.

Thanks!
T

I've never had food I wouldn't eat that had only a kiss of smoke,
I've had food I wouldn't eat that was over smoked!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
Tee from what I understand the grill runs in smoke mode when setpoint is under 300F. It will maintain temperature and then every 10 minutes it will throttle the fan up and down for a few minutes to create smoke. So instead of using swings for smoke it will change the fan speed at lower temps for more smoke like the MAK does.

When setpoint is 300F or higher it will run in grill mode where it maintains a very tight temperature control and less smoke.

And I still have my smoke daddy ;)

I just need to figure out a way to use it without drilling a hole in that beautiful new cooker ::)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:13:04 PM by muebe »
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
Ah, acres of new stainless!  Beautiful  ;D

I'd hate to see a Memphis defiled by a smoke daddy -- you know the ropes, muebe.  If you want a three day creosote belch this isn't it.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:43:45 AM »
A real beauty muebe!

Thanks!
T

I've never had food I wouldn't eat that had only a kiss of smoke,
I've had food I wouldn't eat that was over smoked!

A "kiss of smoke" is necessary for great barbeque.  It combines with the meat flavor, the rub, the sauce, and other treatments to create fabulous flavor.  Over-smoking and over-saucing are the two most frequent errors that spoil what might otherwise be great cooks.  BALANCE is the name of the game.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:13:02 AM »

She's a beauty!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:47:13 AM »

[/quote]

A "kiss of smoke" is necessary for great barbeque.  It combines with the meat flavor, the rub, the sauce, and other treatments to create fabulous flavor.  Over-smoking and over-saucing are the two most frequent errors that spoil what might otherwise be great cooks.  BALANCE is the name of the game.

Hub
[/quote]

And - while I agree with you in principle - all too often this kind of statement is used as a defense of pellet smokers, rather than a balanced viewpoint.
There is a wide margin between the very little amount of smoke that most pellet grills produce - and "too much".
Thus far, the Mak has impressed me with being able to provide an adequate amount of smoke.  What is adequate?
That is like trying pick out another man's socks ;D. It is a personal choice - and has quite a range of variability in that range of  "too little" - to - "too much".  Very subjective indeed.
While I  - personally - do not like what I consider over smoked food, I would draw your attention to a fine quality steak which has been cooked on a wood fired grill. There is a "kiss of smoke" in the taste - no question. But in no way would we confuse that with BBQ. Not taking into consideration the use of rubs and sauces - just smoke.

I find that for my tastes most pellet grills lack a little in the smoke profile. ( Bear in mind that I own one, and I like it very much - just being frank here) Obviously, I think it is better than too much smoke - but I also believe that a broad chasm exists between the "too little" and too much" when we talk about smoke.
Besides - I may have bigger feet than most ;D ;D ;D
Maybe one day we can devise a system of measuring the smoke profile that is less subjective than individual taste.  It could be very useful, no?

Mike - I think you made one of the best choices for a quality pellet unit - no question. And - it is not a mark of inadequacy on the part of the grill if you find that you desire a bit more smoke.  It is easy to add - but you can't take it out if the grill produces too much ;)
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »
Stay away from the drill Muebe!!  :o  That sucker is just too pretty!!  8) 
Congratulations on the new pit. Looking forward to lots of good looking grub!!!!  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:09:32 AM »
Wow this is a great combo grill smoker.
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »

Hub
[/quote]

And - while I agree with you in principle - all too often this kind of statement is used as a defense of pellet smokers, rather than a balanced viewpoint.
There is a wide margin between the very little amount of smoke that most pellet grills produce - and "too much".
Thus far, the Mak has impressed me with being able to provide an adequate amount of smoke.  What is adequate?
That is like trying pick out another man's socks ;D. It is a personal choice - and has quite a range of variability in that range of  "too little" - to - "too much".  Very subjective indeed.
While I  - personally - do not like what I consider over smoked food, I would draw your attention to a fine quality steak which has been cooked on a wood fired grill. There is a "kiss of smoke" in the taste - no question. But in no way would we confuse that with BBQ. Not taking into consideration the use of rubs and sauces - just smoke.

I find that for my tastes most pellet grills lack a little in the smoke profile. ( Bear in mind that I own one, and I like it very much - just being frank here) Obviously, I think it is better than too much smoke - but I also believe that a broad chasm exists between the "too little" and too much" when we talk about smoke.
Besides - I may have bigger feet than most ;D ;D ;D
Maybe one day we can devise a system of measuring the smoke profile that is less subjective than individual taste.  It could be very useful, no?

Mike - I think you made one of the best choices for a quality pellet unit - no question. And - it is not a mark of inadequacy on the part of the grill if you find that you desire a bit more smoke.  It is easy to add - but you can't take it out if the grill produces too much ;)
T
[/quote]

No "defensive" or "offensive" comment intended, T.  The Memphis line is well programmed and adding a smoke daddy isn't necessary.  One can over smoke on a pellet cooker just like any other wood burner.  It's just harder to do and works against the engineering somewhat.  If I'm "defending" anything here it's my "Tao of Barbeque" statement  ;D

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
I am sure I will be happy with it. I will have an answer Tee after a few cooks.

What I can say is that little Traeger got me hooked on pellet smokers. I would have never slapped down the money on the Memphis with having no experience with a pellet grill. For my second buy I wanted quality and that is what I got.

Thing is backed with a 5 year warranty. Who does that nowadays?

You are right muebe. Sometimes we want to take a small step to be sure - and, that is often a wise move. The Treagers should likely be saluted as getting a lot of people into pellet grills for sure!
Great warranty BTW!
T
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:45:47 PM by teesquare »
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
We looked closely at the Memphis Select. It's a very well built grill for sure and beautiful to boot!

Congrats on your new grill!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68