Author Topic: Show us your 2014 Garden  (Read 25684 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Show us your 2014 Garden
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
That should work,very nice.I found some squash sprouts growing in my composter so being the good gardener I planted the things!

I think it will just fine Spuds.  I've never grown spaghetti squash before so I was pleasantly surprised to see yesterday that they latch on to a trellis like a cucumber plant using tentacles  :)

I'm starting to look into a composter Spuds.  Especially the dual composter at Costco which has two 50-gal tumblers.  My Dad used to have a compost pile when I lived in New Hampshire back in the 1960s.  That was some good stuff he got for his garden!

What do you load your composter with?  I presume the normal items like lawn clippings, leaves, organic waste, etc.?  Wonder if I can load some Redwood needles from my 2 Redwood trees in the backyard?  Can you throw in coffee grounds?  Egg shells?  With the price of everything going up making my own compost seems like a good idea  :)

Won't be long now for a few yellow squash ...

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »
That's an awesome garden, Pete.  Nice arrangement and execution, as well as plants.

This is our 2014 Garden, photo taken this noon -

It was 26 friggin degrees this morning. 
She does have garlic up!  :)

"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 08:06:35 PM »
Wingman,very nice!

Pete,I put in pine needles but they compost really slow,but a lot faster in compost tumbler than on the ground.Im a rookie with the tumbler but all you said was all Ive read online,coffee and eggs are supposed to be super for em.Just no meat.I need to get a pic,mine hasnt got hot yet but the needles really breaking down nicely.Here is one site i got info from Washington State university ( admin please delete if a link is a no no?)

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/fundamentals/needs_carbon_nitrogen.htm

Hot dang those squash are awesome!!

I planted a beauty of a asparagus patch today,I will put  mention of supplier if admin says ok,and pics later.Ive never seen such gorgeous 2 year crowns before!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »
My new asparagus bed...

New crowns,what beauties,2 year old Mary Washington

Got them on amazon from here

25 2nd Year Mary Washington Variety Asparagus Roots/Plants
Sold by JW Farms

My new 25 plant bed

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:59:11 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 11:34:48 PM »
Good looking Asparagus roots there spuds.  Looks like you have plenty of room for your bed.  An established Asparagus bed will produce for 20 years!!!   :o

I messed up when I planted my Asparagus bed 2 years ago!  :(  Planted 2 year old roots and last year the bed looked like this

But I planted the roots too close.  This year I thought I would be eating Asparagus every night but the bed became root bound and I'm having to take it out  >:(  That will teach me to ignore the spacing requirements.  Fortunately I live right in the middle of the California Delta and they grow a zillion tons of Asparagus.  Right now the local fruit stands carry Asparagus that was cut yesterday!!  Talk about fresh  8)
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 11:45:16 PM »
You will plant elsewhere right? That asparagus is good stuff,yes,price to buy hasnt been bad this year down here,a dollar a bunch on sale.

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »
You will plant elsewhere right? That asparagus is good stuff,yes,price to buy hasn't been bad this year down here,a dollar a bunch on sale.

We're paying about $1.70/lb at the local fruit/vegetable stands and about $2.10/lb at Costco for Asparagus from Mexico and central America.  We normally eat Asparagus year round thanks to Costco.  Love the stuff  ;D

To do it right I would have to dedicate a complete 4' x 8' raised bed but I'm not sure yet if I want to do that.  Then it takes 3 years to be able to harvest a crop.  Fortunately you can buy 1 or 2 year old plants/roots.

Back in the day ... about 20 years ago ... we used to buy a whole lug of fresh Asparagus from the fields for $5!  But then everything was cheaper back in the day ...
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
Pete,you asked about composter,Did some thinking on the subject and this is what I know about it.

I learned what to get from a friend who is to gardening what the posters here are to food,very knowledgeable.He told me to get one with a handle to turn,and even then it takes effort.But much easier.

Think of it as having a 50 lb sack of cement in there,Trying to turn it it flops around and you have to muscle it up until it flips.Without a crank handle thats pretty challenging to turn those barrels I would think,havent actually done it,but can see how the forces work on mine.

He said get a mantis with a handle ( or similar I guess) ,and get it from craigslist.He got his free because the frame had a crack he welded.I got mine I think for 80 bucks,they are like 300+ new,was only a few years old and works great mechanically.They hold a pretty heavy load when loaded up.

But to find em you have to check CL a LOT because they sell fast! That too tells us something,others dont sell nearly so quick.
Like within hours,have to be in right place at the right time,or if you have money can always buy one.Me,money is hard to let loose of,Im a thrifty shopper.Took me about 3 months to finally manage to grab one.

So i would say,do what my friend told me and its good advice from a pro whose only agenda is to help a friend.

Also buy a 4 WD Diesel truck made before 1997,but thats another story,but he was right again,LOL. Smart guy.

Offline spuds

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »
WOW!!!

My new bed already has asparagus starting to break the soil!

Next week I should have pics of plants coming up. My old bed is tight like yours but up are the spikes and going nutso,gotta love a garden!

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 09:20:45 PM »
WOW!!!

My new bed already has asparagus starting to break the soil!

Next week I should have pics of plants coming up. My old bed is tight like yours but up are the spikes and going nutso,gotta love a garden!

Sounds great.  Looking forward to seeing some pics ...
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »
OK,this is composter loaded with a lot of pine needles,straw and bird poop 1 month ago,very full.
Also colors are horrible,dont know why.
Last 2 pictures I took today

First fill

1 month later,about 1/3rd less mass.In reality this stuff is black in color.Set in some pots to sprout cuke seeds,they didnt take outside,take em out when I rotate 2-3 turns a day.ALL veggie scraps going in.

Just warm,not getting hot yet.Check out the worms!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:48:25 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2014, 12:18:45 AM »
Saw my first 2 stalks come up asparagus bed,23 to go. :)

Ive been putting a ton of veggie pulp in the composter and it seems to have no problem gobbling it up.

Other than that,nothing new here.

Offline spuds

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »
Got some fences moved and cleared a spot to start the greenhouse (will take all season,moving slow on it).

Picked up some nice pickling cucumber plants and my own cukes are starting to finally sprout.Will plant them and beans maybe tomorrow if weather seems right.

Have about 7 or 8 plants coming up in asparagus bed,and most the apple have babies,as well as a peach tree has a couple.The tree's are coming in nicely.All the citrus have put out new growth but for the 2 lemons.This is their first full season here.

Had a NICE .25 inch rain today,garden looks very happy. Oh,and my tomatoes are FINALLY starting to show new growth,about right on schedule for here,our season safely starts On Mothers Day.So actually Im a little ahead.

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
Blessed with decent weather again ... in the mid 70ºF to mid 80ºF ... a week or so ago it got into the mid 90ºF range!  Way too hot for this time of year.

Bush Beans, Spinach and Yellow tomato ...

Second planting of Corn ... 3 rows.  First planting only produced 5 plants   :(  .  2nd planting starting to sprout.

Cucumbers with 2nd crop of Radishes

Peppers (Jalapeno, Red and Green Bell Peppers) with Egg Plants in the back

Squash ... Zucchini, Yellow, Spaghetti, and Butternut

Strawberry patch

Tomatoes

Char Broil SRG

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »
Holy cow, Pete, that is one gorgeous garden!   You have that space absolutely dialed in.  You guys must be so stoked for everything to ripen! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/