Author Topic: Wanna Make Slim Jims?  (Read 16341 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Wanna Make Slim Jims?
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
DAYUM!!  One more for my list!!  Thanks Rick.  My son will thank you after I make them.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline DWard51

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:08 PM »
Same here.  I get the feeling y'all are conspiring to convince me to buy that 10 tray LEM dehydrator that's on sale this weekend.  It might be working!!!!

Offline RAD

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
I've got some going now in my new toy. I am so excited.  ;D
Love to cook and eat

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 04:26:19 PM »
Same here.  I get the feeling y'all are conspiring to convince me to buy that 10 tray LEM dehydrator that's on sale this weekend.  It might be working!!!!
X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline DWard51

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 01:43:53 PM »
Are you guys using any sort of liquid as a carrier to help this disperse in the ground beef?  It seems like it would be sort of dry and most pre-measured kits call for some sort of liquid to be added to the dry ingredients.

Also one more point of clarification.  Pretty much all the instructions for dehydrators and Cure #1 talk about heating the meat to 160* before dehydrating.  Are you doing, this or putting the sticks straight into a dehydrator.  I understand the concept of CYA and a company wanting to avoid liability so they are basically telling us to cook food first.  I just wanted to make sure I was not totally misreading the directions for these sticks as the posts read like it is mix and dehydrate at 145* for 4.5 to 5 hours and check for dryness.

Thanks

Heading out to pick up the dehydrator in a few minutes an this recipe is on my to do list.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
Also one more point of clarification.  Pretty much all the instructions for dehydrators and Cure #1 talk about heating the meat to 160* before dehydrating.  Are you doing, this or putting the sticks straight into a dehydrator.  I understand the concept of CYA and a company wanting to avoid liability so they are basically telling us to cook food first.

As far as I know, there is no need to heat the meat to 160° unless you have NOT used cure #1.  Provided it's mixed in thoroughly, Cure #1 reacts so quickly that the meat is ready for smoking/dehydrating as soon as you mix it in.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline DWard51

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
That was pretty much the way I thought it worked too.  Otherwise, what is the point of the cure?

Offline RAD

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 08:02:27 PM »
They also tell you to mix/stuff and leave in the fridge for at lest 12 hours to let the mix work. I assume another CYA thing.
Love to cook and eat

Offline DWard51

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »
The one I love is a post in another forum I ran across on a google search.  The poster said you have to heat the meat with the cure to 158* for "the cure #1 to activate".   Hell, if you are cooking it what's the point of using cure in the first place?

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
cure starts working right away when you mix it in. I seen that guy on YT who cooked the meat in the wave b4 he stuffed? WTH for.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.