Author Topic: Irrigation for my little garden.  (Read 14794 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Irrigation for my little garden.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
Nice gardening setup but the concern I have is the smoker under the overhang and the proximity of the grill to the house.

From a fire safety viewpoint, that's not a good idea. (IMHO)

NFPA recommends a minimum of three feet from anything combustible (like vinyl siding).

Just my humble $0.02 worth

Mike

Mike I think you have raised concerns before. I do not use my smoker unattended for very long. I always have my Maverick remote with me monitoring grill level temps. I cook mostly low and slow and 325 or below, most wood ignition temps are 350 deg. F or above If I am above that I am with the smoker. I have a fire extinguisher with in 10 feet and you can see a water faucet and hose close by. With any cooking inside or out you have to be careful. I don't figure I am any more unsafe than someone cooking in their kitchen.

When I was young my Mom was heating oil on a gas stove in the kitchen for French fries. We both were outside the back door talking to the neighbor; the neighbor said I smell something burning, we looked inside the kitchen. From the pan of oil to the ceiling it looked like a blow torch. Mom ran around front and got my baby brother out of the crib and the neighbor called the fire dept. I followed Mom in and went upstairs to save a new pair of shoes!

The house was saved but the kitchen was completely burned out.

I do know the dangers of fire Mike! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
Don,my BIL in Colorado has been singing the praise of that hose too.Looks like the only issue to determine will be durability,function seems a winner. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »
Don,my BIL in Colorado has been singing the praise of that hose too.Looks like the only issue to determine will be durability,function seems a winner. ;)
Spuds thanks for getting back on the subject of the post! I figure if it lasts 3 years I will be happy. One thing you don't want to do is be dragging it across concrete. I have a hose made by Toro years ago probably 20, it was made like a fire hose and wound up on a real, 50 ft. I still have it hanging in my shed and I had it out a few years ago and was still good. If it has not dry rotted is probably still good. I do like the hose! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline spuds

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »
My wife bought a hose,black heavy thing,from Sears well before we were married,and have 20 years together at least.That hose is still good,it only doesnt have pressure on it during the winter,talk about value. I asked what she paid,said didnt remember but a lot.

Want a good hose nozzle,remember these? I found it 2 years ago on Amazon,still not a drop leaks,dang cant beat a good design.
I got so fed up buying a plastic one every year,or sooner!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DGII5O/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dramm 12380 Heavy-Duty Brass Adjustable Hose Nozzle-$13.99

I have a new motto,if I can run over it with the truck,and it can survive,buy it.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »

I have a new motto, if I can run over it with the truck, and it can survive, buy it.

Great motto! Words to live by...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 12:51:03 PM »
Update:
Aug 12 2014

I think this time last year I had harvested about ¾ of my tomatoes. As you can see in the photo I sot today all you can see is green! Looks like I will be eating a lot of fried green tomatoes! Last summer was hot and dry and this summer has been rainy and cooler than usual.

Earlier I showed the expandable pocket hose I bought to replace my heavy indestructible rubber hose, like Spuds! Well when he gets my age he will be tired of dragging it around.  ;D

I have used it at least 3 times a week to water my garden and all my flowers this summer. I love that thing, light to drag around and easy to put away. You have to treat it a little better than most hoses.

I always wondered what the inside hose looked like without the outer nylon covering. I found out when the grandson had a large rubber like snake filled with water hanging around his neck; it was 2 inches in diameter and about 4 feet long. I wanted to get a pic of it but it burst before I could get a photo. Below is a shot of the left overs. The longest piece was the one that was 4 feet long.

He got the hose from a friend, who was dragging it around the corner of the house and it got caught on a piece of sharp siding and burst. The kids were playing with it like water balloons. To me it looks like what surgical gloves are made of only thicker.

Green

Smokin Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline spuds

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
Update:
Aug 12 2014

I think this time last year I had harvested about ¾ of my tomatoes. As you can see in the photo I sot today all you can see is green! Looks like I will be eating a lot of fried green tomatoes! Last summer was hot and dry and this summer has been rainy and cooler than usual.

Earlier I showed the expandable pocket hose I bought to replace my heavy indestructible rubber hose, like Spuds! Well when he gets my age he will be tired of dragging it around.  ;D

Thanks Don for the post,I wont be getting one if its easy to destroy.

Sorry on maters not ripening,my crop is quite a bust this year too,after an early spring to boot,go figure. ::)

I hear you on dragging that heavy hose,instead of 150 feet I now have one that goes 50 feet to a y,then two 50 foot hoses to either side of yard.Each has a hose nozzle that turns off fully on ends,I keep the water always on.They lay out there all season and put away in winter.Its so true,they are BEARS to drag around. ???
 8)

Offline pz

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 01:19:57 AM »
Too bad your garden is not in my area - extremely hot and sunny all summer  ;D