Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 63454 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #-1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:06:32 AM »
This will take me all season.Its going to be 12x12 foot.I will get pics as it moves along.Want it covered by late fall and the aquaponic system running.Will have to order the plastic cover when the time comes for it.

Instead of hydroponics it will be powered by fish poo,hence aquaponic.Aqua has the advantage as you dont need chemicals like hydroponics and once set up its pretty much plug and play.

Whats going on so far...

My first stop was the thrift store...

Thrift store for 20 dollars.I made out real good.

Storm door pretty nice shape,screen good.Solid core.Both windows open properly,easily.

The pipes are 10 feet long,1/2 inch.5 PVC,1 metal conduit.May or may not use as Perlins(looks like they wont be used)

The window is brand new,PVC.It says Sample for Mike J on it.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:17:44 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:14:24 AM »
Next stop was Lowes for 1x6 Trex for the baseboards,12 foot each.With additional sundries that was 185 dollars.The trex will never rot though,so bit the bullet on that cost.

Then next it was get my stakes to level the base,4 treated 8 foot 4x4's and 18  1.5 inch 10 foot pvc electrical  conduits,line and a line level for 170 dollars.Got conduit over pvc pipe because it is UV protected.

Im doing mine like Jackie at backwoods home

http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/JackieClay/

here is her picture,mine will be 12x12

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:21:46 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:17:23 AM »
Sounds like quite the project.  Cool.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:24:03 AM »
So far with most of framing Im in 400 dollars with a few additional tools.Need some 2x4's and a little cement to put in the 4x4's.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »
Should be a growing fortress when done ;)

We are really into greenhouses in California :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
The trex will never rot though,so bit the bullet on that cost.

True...But - I have  an 1800 sq. ft. deck attached to my house, and I installed it. It is made from Timbertech which - like Trex is made from recycled plastics and other material ( there are several name brands - but all are recycled plastics mixed with wood fiber ) - but it *does* have the ability to warp....so - really anchor it well and attach it more often than you would if you were building with pressure treated wood. And - it splits easier than wood near edges and ends - *pre drill those especially*...so pre-drill all holes if using typical bugle head deck screws. There are special 2 thread pattern screws - but the head is very small....and can pull thru if you set them too deep. I would recommend typical deck screws with a washer under the head for the best option- balancing strength/cost/durability. Nails are out of the question, as this material does not "grip" a nail, and they will work out on you with a little time.

Hope that helps Spuds, keep us posted. This looks like a nice project!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
Great project Spuds ... will be keeping an eye on ya!!  8)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »
That is a really great project. I will be watching!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »
That's one heck of a project, looking forward to see it completed.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »
What are your plans for the tanks?  This is something I have been interested in doing for a while now. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »
Interesting project. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »
The trex will never rot though,so bit the bullet on that cost.

True...But - I have  an 1800 sq. ft. deck attached to my house, and I installed it. It is made from Timbertech which - like Trex is made from recycled plastics and other material ( there are several name brands - but all are recycled plastics mixed with wood fiber ) - but it *does* have the ability to warp....so - really anchor it well and attach it more often than you would if you were building with pressure treated wood. And - it splits easier than wood near edges and ends - *pre drill those especially*...so pre-drill all holes if using typical bugle head deck screws. There are special 2 thread pattern screws - but the head is very small....and can pull thru if you set them too deep. I would recommend typical deck screws with a washer under the head for the best option- balancing strength/cost/durability. Nails are out of the question, as this material does not "grip" a nail, and they will work out on you with a little time.

Hope that helps Spuds, keep us posted. This looks like a nice project!

T
Thanks Tim,Appreciated and Agreed.

I have a buddy who builds decks advising me,and all you said is what he said,you a builder too?And the holes have to be drilled deeper than I thought,I screwed three right thru the sides on first try,they just went sideways after started screwing in,odd material that trex.I got a makita drill thing that makes nice countersinks,and using stainless steel screws that he advised.

When the hoops are secured after being set in ground that will help keep trex straight too.And a little warping wont matter,I get lots of free leeway on that in this project,nothing has to be perfectly square or such,just close enough for gubbmint work.But they will get staked every 24 inches.Hoops will be set 24 OC,way over building on that but why not,cost isnt much more at all.And we get snow,not so worried about hoop collapse as strain on greenhouse cover.Its going to be plenty strong,and luckily in this little valley that winds are cut in half,so major winds are just heavy blows for us.

Ive done hydro before,but chemicals were a pain,bud down the street started hydro and shifting to aqua system too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:25:29 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »
What are your plans for the tanks?  This is something I have been interested in doing for a while now.
The fish tank will be an IBC tote,I think they are 175 gallons IIRC? Going to start with the blue barrells cut in half for grow beds,most with hygroton clay balls,and a couple will be water with floating trays,that will be super for dill,spices and lettuces.

May even raise duckweed to feed fish,just not sure yet what will really grow,and what I will do during winter.To start it wont be about raising fish,but that may get expanded into a eating fish too,just have to see.

Also will incorporate some solar electricity,again that will be a work in progress,I have more solar laying around here than Im using by a long shot,so thats another aspect that will be used eventually.

The water initially will be pumped,and later converted to an air pump system as the system is dialed in.First thing is just get it going and proof the concept.

On the grow beds will make PVC/plastic covers and may add my Christmas tree incandescent lights under those to prevent freezes,just not sure yet.The lights worked great on my trashcan covered citrus trees during winter,i got a really nice thermostat that comes on at 34F,off about 38F,very very slick setup.50 dollars

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXCZJ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:24:37 PM by spuds »

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
This is a way cool project, Spuds!  Quite a lot of work, but what a cool concept!   Can't wait to see your progress along the way!   Nice score with the thrift store stuff. 

My James has gotten really interested in those kind of set ups, where everything is working in a symbiotic way.  He's scheming to do an outdoor type of a similar thing-- having fish in a pond, with a solar water pump going up to a garden area and having bio filtration to filter the water back down into the pond. 

What an amazing place you've got!!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »
Very interesting concept!  I'll be watching this thread for updates.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68