Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 63487 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »
Today 128 dollars...

Post-hole digger and post/pipe level

pressure treated lumber....2- 2x4 x 8 feet,2- 2x6 x 10 feet,3- 2x6 x 12 feet.

8 connecting metal Brackets.12 pack of stakes.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
Looks like it is coming along nicely!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »
Got the trex removed from the top on sides and replaced with pressure treated 2x6.
Tomorrow will cut and fill in bottom with trex along the ground.
Got the sides staked,and all the stakes cut to level.

Photos at 8 PM,can see my official chicken and duck corral has some sleepy birdies ready to go to bed

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »
Base is finally done,look to the left and right and can see trex now on the ground.You can see by the backfill the left to right slope,and the front to back slope.

Next I will put up 4x4's for the door and to support the Ridgepole.Will probably dig the holes tomorrow and think about it,I want at least 40 inches on the opening so I can get the IBC Totes that will be the fishponds in.Need to think out what I will do on the doorway.

Left side

Right side,thats a shadow,no gaps between boards

So what I learned is PROOF there is a Heaven and Hell.In Hell they make you build greenhouse bases.The worse you are,the more slope you get. :(

Also you dont need to waterboard suspects.Just put them on 1000 acres of slope.Make them build greenhouses,they will crack in a week. ???
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:01:33 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
I wont be working on it for a couple days but this is whats coming next to give you a basic idea....

Offline spuds

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
Got some more done today.Got all the pipes pounded in that the hoops will attach to.Woke up feeling a little sore but it worked right out,so went to work.Being careful to pace myself,joints arent what they used to be,being careful.Ordered 5 inch carriage bolts,nuts and washers.1 lb 4 inch deck screws,all stainless steel,47 dollars online

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:24:40 PM by spuds »

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »
Good work, Spuds!!    And smart move going slow and steady-- does you no good to throw something out of whack and get laid up for way longer than the time you saved by hurrying!

That is going to be impressive as heck when it's all done! You've done a LOT so far!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
Thanks Kat. Do you have butchering pics? ;)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
I did get some, I just need to sort through them and do a little write up.   Cameraman James bailed on me again, so I'm not sure how well the pictures turned out, since I was balancing trying to get the butchering DONE, and avoiding ruining my camera with bloody hands.  :)   I'll let you know when I get the tutorial done! 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 02:54:31 PM »
I did get some, I just need to sort through them and do a little write up.   Cameraman James bailed on me again, so I'm not sure how well the pictures turned out, since I was balancing trying to get the butchering DONE, and avoiding ruining my camera with bloody hands.  :)   I'll let you know when I get the tutorial done!
;D

Offline spuds

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »
Pipes,cement,screws,4x4 treated...94 dollars.

Offline spuds

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
Filled the hoop pipes with cement and screwed them into boards,added the connections.

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
Impressive ! something to consider here ....
GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline pz

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »
Though my favorite chicken of all time was a Leghorn the raccoons got,she was the skinniest thing,super lover sweet as can be....not your typical leghorn by a long shot ,and an egg laying workhorse,a fine fine animal indeed.Gee I miss that bird. :(

Years ago we also raised chickens and one night we heard a commotion coming from the hen house. Problem here is that you never know if you'll encounter a coon or a cougar, so out I went with a trusty S/W M29. Fortunately it was only a coon in the rafters, and a single round eliminated that problem only to be replaced by another - fixing the roof.

Great project, Spuds; I'd love to build something like that but it's way too cold here

Offline spuds

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
Yes,you do get pretty cold.I have about 45 days below 32F at most,not much will be going on in winter but will get a huge jump in spring and fall.

Hope to have some covered beds with Christmas tree incandescent bulbs in winter,about 45 watts per bed I figure,will have to see.

I HATE Raccoons,domestic terrorists! We have a bunch too.