Author Topic: Young Chicken or Hen Recommended for PBC?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline chriswalters

Young Chicken or Hen Recommended for PBC?
« Reply #-1 on: January 04, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »
Hey there!  Just ordered my PBC and can't wait to get smoking on it.  I saw on the PBC chicken recipe that it calls for a 5lb whole chicken.  Admittedly, I've never shopped for whole chicken before so when I looked yesterday I was confused to find young chickens and hens.  Is there one that I should go with over the other, or just as long as it's 5lbs I'll be good to go?  Or maybe I won't find 5lb young chickens? lol.  Any insight would be much appreciated! 

Offline Pappymn

Young Chicken or Hen Recommended for PBC?
« on: January 04, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »
Chickens here are more like 4 pounders.  Just go with what you can get locally and run a probe temp to know when it is done. Good luck and post pics
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline chriswalters

Re: Young Chicken or Hen Recommended for PBC?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 04:57:06 PM »
Chickens here are more like 4 pounders.  Just go with what you can get locally and run a probe temp to know when it is done. Good luck and post pics
  Will do!  Thanks

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 12:00:13 AM »
I like a nice fat roasting hen. 6 pounder is what I aim for...

And, after cleaning/removing the innards - I dry it off and leave it in the fridge for a full day ( sometimes 2...) open to the air. This will dry out the water in the skin. It will not dry out the chicken meat.

Then a VERY light amount of oil on the skin, and apply whatever seasonings you choose, and cook.

The ride in the fridge will assure you getting the driest skin that I have found how to produce on a roasted/air fried chicken.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:16:04 AM »
I like a nice fat roasting hen. 6 pounder is what I aim for...

And, after cleaning/removing the innards - I dry it off and leave it in the fridge for a full day ( sometimes 2...) open to the air. This will dry out the water in the skin. It will not dry out the chicken meat.

Then a VERY light amount of oil on the skin, and apply whatever seasonings you choose, and cook.

The ride in the fridge will assure you getting the driest skin that I have found how to produce on a roasted/air fried chicken.

Thanks for the tips teesquare!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:11:10 AM »
Always welcome Chris!

Looking forward to seeing your first bird in your PBC.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
Good catch about the drip pan Cliff! Should have included that marriage saving tip! ;D And - to clarify, only apply the oil when you are about to season and cook. Because if you oil the bird than put it in the fridge...the oil may slow down the evaporation of water from the skin. ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »
Just a question about using a hen?  My experience is that they are very tough and need more attention to make them tender like younger chickens.  What are your comments on the use of hens?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 09:24:05 PM »
Specifically what you want is a nice fat roasting hen. Not a worn out laying hen. Not sure  what your grocers are like, but here there are several kinds of chickens to choose from. I have bought he "free range, organic" chickens...and they tend to make great jerky! :D But it is because they have no schmalz ....no fat to moisturize and keep them tender.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
Specifically what you want is a nice fat roasting hen. Not a worn out laying hen. Not sure  what your grocers are like, but here there are several kinds of chickens to choose from. I have bought he "free range, organic" chickens...and they tend to make great jerky! :D But it is because they have no schmalz ....no fat to moisturize and keep them tender.

Wow, I had no idea it was so involved!  Thanks for the info. 

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »

I would stay with young chickens if you are going to use the PBC.  A hen is a egg layer that is out of work thus ready to be consumed.  Here in South Florida they are sold frozen and known as Gallinas.  These are used for making stock or maybe a stew but not for smoking or grilling.  I usually Spatchcock the chicken which allows a quicker and more even cook.  It is fun to experiment with different methods to see which works for you.  Enjoy

I will forever be amazed at the difference in regional terms and definitions. Ot should not be so involved, or difficult. A HEN is a female chicken. Whether she was raised for laying or not depends on the  purpose for the bird as determined by genetics (i.e. - breed, and such) and the farmer raising the chickens. Nothing less - nothing more.
Perhaps actual pictures will help us agree on what a fat roasting hen really looks like? Take note of the more pale areas of the skin where you can see the fat deposits. You chickens have not had time to develop this. Roosters never get it because they expend more energy chasing hens! ;D ( In fact coq au vin is a dish created to help moisturize and make edible an old, stringy rooster ) THES are fine, fat HENS to cook - and what I look for. I have never had a dry chicken in the PBC. Ever.

[Attachments Deleted after 6 months]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:33:19 PM by teesquare »

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 12:34:22 PM »

Thanks for the info!
I would stay with young chickens if you are going to use the PBC.  A hen is a egg layer that is out of work thus ready to be consumed.  Here in South Florida they are sold frozen and known as Gallinas.  These are used for making stock or maybe a stew but not for smoking or grilling.  I usually Spatchcock the chicken which allows a quicker and more even cook.  It is fun to experiment with different methods to see which works for you.  Enjoy

I will forever be amazed at the difference in regional terms and definitions. Ot should not be so involved, or difficult. A HEN is a female chicken. Whether she was raised for laying or not depends on the  purpose for the bird as determined by genetics (i.e. - breed, and such) and the farmer raising the chickens. Nothing less - nothing more.
Perhaps actual pictures will help us agree on what a fat roasting hen really looks like? Take note of the more pale areas of the skin where you can see the fat deposits. You chickens have not had time to develop this. Roosters never get it because they expend more energy chasing hens! ;D ( In fact coq au vin is a dish created to help moisturize and make edible an old, stringy rooster ) THES are fine, fat HENS to cook - and what I look for. I have never had a dry chicken in the PBC. Ever.