Author Topic: First PBC cook (baby back ribs) - a few questions  (Read 1625 times)

Offline chriswalters

First PBC cook (baby back ribs) - a few questions
« Reply #-1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »
Just got my PBC and I'm SO excited to get cooking on it. Starting off with some baby back ribs and I have a few questions. I've watched Noah's video on pork ribs several times so I'm familiar with the basics but here's what I'm wondering:

1) I'm doing 2 racks and would like to use the PBC provided rub on one rack and another rub on the other. How can I mark the racks to keep track of which is which so I can see which rub I liked better?

2) how long before cooking do you add the rub?  Immediately before or do you let it set in for a while first?

3) PBC recommends 2-3 hours for baby back ribs. These racks are around 3 lbs each. Has anyone found that racks of this size needed significantly more or less time?

4) besides the 1/4-1/2" pullback and the bone test, any other ways to identify when they're done?  Anyone putting a meat thermometer on them?

5) chance of rain tomorrow is very low, but has anyone ever ran the PBC in the rain?  Curious if rain would affect the cook times, temp etc.

Thanks in advance!  Will definitely post pics of the whole process :)

Offline 70monte

Re: First PBC cook (baby back ribs) - a few questions
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:56:29 PM »
Congratulations on your new PBC.

1. you have two rods to hang meat on.  set your PBC up so that when you are facing it, the rods are side by side.  Put one rack on each side and remember which side you put each kind of rub on.

2. I usually cook the ribs the same day I buy them so I pull off the membrane and then season them and let them come up to room temp before I put them on.

3. I just cooked BB ribs the other day and mine went between 3:30 hrs to about 3:45 hrs.  I don't remember how much they weighed.

4. I usually stick a tooth pick or some type of probe between the bones of the ribs and if they slide in buttery smooth, they are done.  Some people do the bend test which is if you pick the ribs up in the middle and if the outer skin starts cracking, they are probably done.

5. Rain could affect the time a little bit since the cold water could cool off your PBC to some extent but I don't think it will effect it that much but I guess it depends on how hard and long it rains.

Good luck on your cook. 
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »
Very good advice. Also maybe think about putting a toothpick in the rack with PBC rub.
Speaking of rub, when I have time I will get the rub on and refrigerate overnight but if your rub is too salt-laden, that extra time can get you a hammy taste.

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 07:23:17 AM »
A couple of things to help you out:

1.  As mentioned, rubbing too early can produce an unwanted flavor due to overpenetration of the rub.  Also, rubs put on early will tend to produce a "skin effect" or tougher exterior.  Some people like both of these effects.  Some don't.

2.  An instant read thermometer probed right between the middle bones will read about 200 to 205 on well done ribs.  If you like restaurant style "fall off the bone" ribs, keep cooking toward 210 to 215.  Ribs are very hard to test for temperature due to variations in the meat thickness and bone size.  Take several readings and average them.  The PBC is harder to work with on this measure since one must pull the racks out to reach the test points.

The PBC's main talent is its ability to cook using time as the only measure -- watch Noah's videos.  On the average, they work out unless your overload it or underfuel it.  If you want to really get into temperature management you need a different cooker.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 07:38:06 AM »
I tend to always cook St. Louis cut but I will always dry brine my ribs the day before in just kosher salt and I will use a salt-less rub the day of my cook. I use the Memphis Dust recipe from Amazingribs.com.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
Thanks everyone!  Great tips. Will post pics of the cook later today.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »
I like Fast Eddy's rib recipe. I rub with brown sugar or raw sugar,wrap and refrigerate overnight.  Next day get PBC lite and temp stabilized,put rub on and I go by fast Eddy'recipe. Honestly I find PBC rubs to salty for my taste. Good luck.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline chriswalters

First PBC cook (baby back ribs) - a few questions
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:44:43 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk