Author Topic: Turkey injection question  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Turkey injection question
« Reply #-1 on: October 01, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »
       I’m trying to have a turkey plan for thanksgiving already. I may do a practice run before I have company over . I have never used an injection before. My question is should I still salt the outside of skin ? The injection I’m using has sodium phosphate in it.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Pappymn

Turkey injection question
« on: October 01, 2018, 05:58:58 PM »
I like to spatchcock my bird and do a couple day dry brine. Then put a compound butter under the skin for some flavor.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline steve0617

Re: Turkey injection question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:21:40 PM »
       I’m trying to have a turkey plan for thanksgiving already. I may do a practice run before I have company over . I have never used an injection before. My question is should I still salt the outside of skin ? The injection I’m using has sodium phosphate in it.

One year I injected it with butter and some other stuff. And it was the worst PBC turkey I'd ever done. The butter melted and basically drowned out the charcoal. Thus, the temps were WAY low and it ended up with a lot of grease fog flavor.

The next time, I just did a dry kosher salt brine 24 hours out in the fridge and then hung it. Was MUCH better. So perhaps be careful to ensure it's not too wet before you hang it.
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 03:36:38 AM »
Personally I like dry brine for chicken (or turkey).  I have injected pork butts and put a rub on shortly before the cook.  If you are looking for some nice skin I would do a very light coating on the skin only.  Disclaimer, just a hunch and I have not tried it, so I don't know if it will make it too salty.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 03:07:16 AM »
After reading the comments I think I’ll just dry brine it. I don’t want too much liquid dripping into the coals. Now my issue is it’s going to be down into the teens temperature wise. Not suppose to be windy atleast.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »
Make sure to pack your charcoal tightly in the charcoal basket of the PBC. This will help with the burn. I would also top it off a tad bit higher with charcoal and if you can only use one re-bar, just use one. The extra air-flow will help the PBC burn a bit hotter...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 03:01:17 PM »
I have the turkey hanger attachment that requires both bars in. I will open he vent slightly more. This is last question I swear. It’s been salted since his morning. Tomorrow should I put oil or melted butter or leave the skin dry ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker