Author Topic: Rib Glaze techniques/recs?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline gigama

Rib Glaze techniques/recs?
« Reply #-1 on: January 08, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »
What's up, everybody?  I am going to be smoking up some ribs on the PBC this weekend and was looking for some tips. 

I am going with the standard dry rub technique, and thought you guys would have some insight on the best way to glaze ribs after 2-2 1/2 hours on the PBC.  I know there are a number of schools of thought on this, so wanted to pick the brains of some experts

Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks in advance

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Rib Glaze techniques/recs?
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:29:57 PM »
If you are hanging them to cook...then near the end of the cook - placing them on the grill grate? If so - any glaze you like brushed on and allow 15-20 minutes to set the glaze.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
If you are hanging them to cook...then near the end of the cook - placing them on the grill grate? If so - any glaze you like brushed on and allow 15-20 minutes to set the glaze.

Perfect advice. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 01:55:56 PM »
When I've glazed ribs, I put the glaze on immediately as they come off. I don't put them back on. A glaze has a lot of sugar and can burn very quickly. Generally the heat from the ribs is enough to set the glaze once they're pulled. I really love the Jess Pryles "Big Red Rib Glaze", or if I want to make my own glaze using my sauce, I use the Danny Gaulden's Mustard Glaze recipe and just substitute the mustard for my sauce. This is a rack with my own glaze, it was brushed on after the ribs were pulled...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
Since the PBC cooks in the mid-range temperature wise, there is enough heat in the ribs at your pull point to set the glaze.  Do watch out for high sugar thought as it will char or turn dark.  An easier and still very reliable way to glaze PBC ribs is to immediately glaze when you pull them out of the cooker at the "done" point of your choice and don't return them to the cooker.

To assure a shiny glaze, thin your sauce (about 2/3 sauce with about 1/3 apple juice is a common blend).  Brush it on sparingly to avoid the sauce flavor overriding the rib/rub/smoke  flavors already there.  Have extra, unthinned sauce available for guests who want it.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 03:06:30 PM »
Here's the Danny Gaulden's glaze recipe, I just substitute the mustard for my sauce of choice...

1 Cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
    1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline gigama

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 09:48:49 PM »
Great tips, thanks everybody. Looking forward to knocking out some racks on Saturday