Author Topic: PBC grilling  (Read 4645 times)

Offline Scgator

PBC grilling
« Reply #-1 on: May 09, 2019, 07:25:18 PM »
I'm thinking about grilling some good steaks for Mother's day and was just wondering how many of you use it as a grill also? I haven't grilled on it yet but have seen some really good videos on grilling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Kona

Re: PBC grilling
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:35:45 AM »
I actually grill all the time on my PBC. The key is to getting those coals as hot as possible. For extra heat, use lump charcoal instead of briquettes. A trick I also like to do, once those coals are screaming hot, I throw about 3-4 chunks of hickory (or wood of choice) on the coals. Once those catch that also cranks up the heat and helps get some flames to "kiss" the meat. No lid on, no rebars. If I'm doing a really thick steak tho, I will slow cook that and reverse sear.

This was a skirt steak I grilled:

A flat iron:

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »
The PBC can be and is most certainly used as a grill but has two limitations that have to  be taken into account.  First the grid fits down inside the barrel and it isn't easy to get a tool like a spatula positioned to easily "flip" or move the groceries.  Second, it wasn't designed to have easily adjustable air flow for combustion.  This doesn't mean it can't grill or won't -- just that you may have a better alternative for fast, high-heat work.

In my "arsenal" I'm fortunate to have a Weber Performer, a little gasser, and a Memphis -- all of which have more "grillability" plus the added benefit of being taller so I don't have to bend over them. 

Oh, but when it comes to hanging a bird or a few racks of ribs and giving the meat that unmistakeable "grease fog" wonder, nothing tops the PBC. 

Would I grill on it?  Sure.  But, that isn't its strong point  ;D  -- grill those good steaks for Mom anyway.  I bet she'll love 'em!

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Scgator

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:06:27 PM »
I had success today! My wife and kids loved the steak. The PBC did awesome. Really nice even heat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Pac Man

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
Looks like a great meal!
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner