Author Topic: "Competition" ribs  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Kona

"Competition" ribs
« Reply #-1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:21:31 AM »
So I decided to try a "comp" rib using the Malcom Reed competition rib process that Malcolm recently released, I've never done one before. I used rubs I had on hand and made my own sauces. After trimming the ribs I applied 3 rubs. I never use mustard as a binder as the moisture on the meat has always been enough but used mustard anyway to follow the video. On the bone side, I laid down a base of a Kansas City rub I had bought. The next layer I used the Pookie Smith's rub on top of that. The Pookie Smith's definitely has a sweeter profile than the KC. On the meat side, another base layer of the KC, then a rub recipe I used on top of that. The recipe is a hotter rub so that was my heat layer. Hung the ribs over apple for 2 hours till the rub was stuck to the meat then time to wrap. Used the basics of butter and brown sugar in the foil but also added sauces. My two sauce recipes are a sweet vinegar and a more traditional thicker sauce. I made a glaze by using a bit of both, extra brown sugar, vinegar and cayenne. I drizzled some of that in the foil as well as some of my regular sauce. Laid the ribs meat side down and drizzled some of my sweet vinegar on the bone side. Wrapped them up tight and on to the grate meat side down for an hour. At an hour they were ready to come off for saucing. I applied more of my hot rub to the bone side. For the sauce, I mixed two parts sweet vinegar sauce and 4 parts regular sauce and one part of the glaze I made. I brushed that over the newly applied rub and blended it in. Flipped over and did the same for the meat side. More rub then sauce. I made the little foil "boat" from the video to put the ribs in and back on the grate for 20 minutes. That's all she wrote. These came out amazing. They were bite through tender and had a definite punch of flavor over what I normally make. I would of loved to have that brighter red color but that would require some different rubs etc. All that's left are some nice clean bones

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: "Competition" ribs
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:50:14 AM »
Nailed it! Ribs look awesome Kona!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:40:28 AM »
I would recommend if attempting a process like this to use low to no sodium rubs or the salt level can get high quickly.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
WOW they look great.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »
I've never done competition ribs in my PBC but there's no reason to say they can't be done!  Looks like you've got a thorough process going here. 

As I'm reading this I've got four racks (eight halves) hanging that'll make up the main course of my grandson's birthday dinner request tonight.  Judges will be he, his folks, and his grandmother.  One of my favorite tables of judges  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:10:10 PM »
I've never done competition ribs in my PBC but there's no reason to say they can't be done!  Looks like you've got a thorough process going here. 

As I'm reading this I've got four racks (eight halves) hanging that'll make up the main course of my grandson's birthday dinner request tonight.  Judges will be he, his folks, and his grandmother.  One of my favorite tables of judges  ;D

Hub

yup it's more the prep, rub and saucing process then the cooker used. Granted, couldn't do more than a couple racks at a time due to needing the grate but these came out awesome. They cooked at 275 in the video which is usually in the range of the PBC.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »
Great looking results

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle