Author Topic: Baby back ribs  (Read 6500 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Baby back ribs
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »
looks like dinner time to me.   :P
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Baby back ribs
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »
Nice looking plate.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »
Ya nailed it my brotha...looks great.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 08:25:03 AM »
Very nice job, looks great!!

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
You can get em here ya Old Buzzard

http://stores.barbequejunction.com/Categories.bok

Danka, amigo! :P Got some ordered today. Can't wait to try it on my liverwurst sandwich!!  ;) ;D

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
OD, try the beef rub on some tri tip it's really good,  but a little on the spicy side.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
I hated the teasing, but it was worth the wait.  Fantastic.

Offline Sam3

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »
Slam dunk!!  ;D
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
OD, try the beef rub on some tri tip it's really good,  but a little on the spicy side.

Just cooked a couple of Tri-tips for the first time in years, on the PBC. One, I used my comp brisket rub and one using Pappy's Prime Rib mix. No like Pappy's. Got rosemary in it, I discovered. Still not a big fan of tri-tips. I guess it's a west coast kind of thing. Prefer the rib eye or a good NY strip. Hey, it's America, not Katmandu!  ??? ;D :-*

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »
OD- No tri tip? It is definitely a west coast thing but they are absolutely delicious!! Do you prefer brisket over tri tip too? Being from California originally, I grew up on charred tri tip off of my parents gas grill ha!! I think that tri tip off the PBC is awesome, juicy and so tender. - Amber

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
OD you should try making a trisket! Take a tri-tip and cook it like a brisket ;)

They turn out tender and delicious.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »
OD- No tri tip? It is definitely a west coast thing but they are absolutely delicious!! Do you prefer brisket over tri tip too? Being from California originally, I grew up on charred tri tip off of my parents gas grill ha!! I think that tri tip off the PBC is awesome, juicy and so tender. - Amber

Should have taken photos, because I cooked each different. First one with my brisket rub went into the PBC on the grill for 20 minutes then flipped and stuck with a Maverick. IT was 114 at the flip. Cooked it to 147, then took off for a short rest before slicing.(Too short, but I had a hungry crowd). Had diagrammed lines on note for cutting purposes, so it was sliced reasonably, correct. Meat was medium and juicy. Crowd loved it and gobbled up. Me? So So. Next one I cooked, using Pappy's Prime Rib rub(Gift from a Pasadena Pellethead for some grits I sent him Christmas), I, first, put a 5 minute char on each side with my $99 Char Broil gasser, then put it on the PBC with the Maverick in at 88 IT.  Took this one off at 150 and rested 10 minutes. Didn't like this one as much, due to the rub, and it wasn't as tender as the first. Could have been my slicing. Wife said she liked first one best. Any way you cut it, it can't beat a bone-in ribeye with a good char! Must be the Coon dog in me! ;) ;D :-*

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »

Should have taken photos, because I cooked each different. First one with my brisket rub went into the PBC on the grill for 20 minutes then flipped and stuck with a Maverick. IT was 114 at the flip. Cooked it to 147, then took off for a short rest before slicing.(Too short, but I had a hungry crowd). Had diagrammed lines on note for cutting purposes, so it was sliced reasonably, correct. Meat was medium and juicy. Crowd loved it and gobbled up. Me? So So. Next one I cooked, using Pappy's Prime Rib rub(Gift from a Pasadena Pellethead for some grits I sent him Christmas), I, first, put a 5 minute char on each side with my $99 Char Broil gasser, then put it on the PBC with the Maverick in at 88 IT.  Took this one off at 150 and rested 10 minutes. Didn't like this one as much, due to the rub, and it wasn't as tender as the first. Could have been my slicing. Wife said she liked first one best. Any way you cut it, it can't beat a bone-in ribeye with a good char! Must be the Coon dog in me! ;) ;D :-*

OD

OD- You need to hang it, seriously I think it makes all the difference. At your altitude it shouldn't take anytime to get it to med rare maybe 35 minutes? Slap our beef and game rub on it and hang that puppy :) - Amber

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 06:27:41 AM »

OD

OD- You need to hang it, seriously I think it makes all the difference. At your altitude it shouldn't take anytime to get it to med rare maybe 35 minutes? Slap our beef and game rub on it and hang that puppy :) - Amber

OK. I'll try it. Those suckers were $6.99 a pound at Cosco, when I bought them. Is that a normal West Coast price? I can buy some awesome tasting bone-in ribbys at that price in Food Lion. ::)

OD

Post Script: Can't cook them medium rare. My bride freaks at the sight of red. Got to be light pink. Hey, marriage is ying and yang, ain't it? ::)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 06:32:53 AM by Over Dunn »
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 07:22:21 AM »
OD west coast prices for Tri-tip are cheaper. I have scored them for less than $2 a pound on sale. I think the $6.99 price might be affecting your judgement of them ;)

That is usually the price for prime cut Tri-tips out here at Costco. Are they prime?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven