Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1062 times)

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

Hello
« Reply #-1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:40:47 AM »
I'm new. Just saying "hi" and introducing myself.

Found this board because I just bought a Big Easy Electric Smoker-Roaster (which arrived yesterday). In preparation for my new cooker, I did some researching online and wound up at a forum on the Char-Broil website. Further Googling of some of the terms and methods mentioned on that forum led me to this forum. So here I am.

I generally like to think of myself as halfway competent in the kitchen (or with outdoors cooking), though I've got a long ways to go before I'd consider myself very good.

I've made plenty of dumb mistakes preparing food, and I'm sure I'll make plenty more. Full disclosure: I somehow shot myself directly in the face with a can of cooking spray this morning. I was trying to quickly oil up my BEESR's cooking basket, and I got careless. I guess I was just so unaccustomed to spraying such an oddly shaped item, I started spraying it from all different angles and completely forgot that the oil mist would shoot right between the wires and come out on the other side of the basket. So, yeah. Kind of a pain to wipe cooking spray from a pair of glasses, by the way. I'm actually kind of surprised it took me this many years of cooking before I made that particular mistake. I'd have thought I'd have made that mistake in my first year or two of cooking.

Most of my experience with food preparation has been indoors. Tons of cooking and baking. Lots of roasting and broiling in the oven. Lots of lazy slow cooking in the crockpot. Occasional dabbling in homemade ice cream or homemade cheese or homemade yogurt.

I still have a good amount of experience cooking outdoors, mainly with propane grills. But I confess that I don't think I ever really properly learned what I was doing. I learned from my dad, and I've since realized he doesn't know much about cooking (which is why I sometimes fall back into bad habits/methods he taught me, resulting in things like overcooked food, too much seasoning, and grease fires). Somewhere around the age of 13, I became my dad's grilling assistant. Within months, that role morphed from being the "assistant" to just straight-up being entirely responsible for all outdoor cooking. (Incidentally, I had a similar experience with my mom and indoor cooking -- I'd become the resident chef in the kitchen somewhere in my teens, so I was responsible for indoor and outdoors cooking from a fairly early age in my family.)

In 2010, I think it was, my brother and I bought my dad a Weber smoker for Christmas. We'd always had pretty stellar briskets whenever we'd visited my mom's parents. My mom's parents made great briskets, as they took meat preparation very seriously. They have, like, an 8-foot tall homemade smoker they welded, and they have big piles of mesquite wood they haul in from some property they own somewhere, and they often brag about how they worked a disgruntled employee to get him to divulge the recipe for their favorite sauce from their favorite BBQ joint in Luling, TX, where they used to live. So they know they're doing with those briskets. Those briskets were always a highlight of trips to see family. So I finally broke down and got my dad a smoker so we could make our own briskets instead of only enjoying them on those rare trips.

I also own a Char-Broil Patio Bistro electric grill. I won it this summer in some kind of a sweepstakes at my local movie theater. The giveaway must've been sponsored by Coca-Cola, because the grill is bright red and has the Coca-Cola logo painted on it. I haven't broken that one in yet. (Haven't used it because winning that grill coincided with me cutting back on things like sausage and burgers as I've been eating a bit healthier for a few months -- I've actually lost 40-50 pounds since late August.)

So, I have a lots of experience in the kitchen. Lots of so-so experience on propane grills. Some brief experience with a Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker in the years since buying it for my dad. And now I've come here to learn how to get good results from my Big Easy Electric Smoker-Roaster. Maybe I'll eventually get around to learning how to get results from that Patio Bistro deal, too.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Hello
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:02:05 AM »
Hello and Welcome from NW Ohio. Your gonna love the BEESR (big easy electric smoker roaster) as we call it. I have one also and like the convenience of the electric. I also have the propane ones too. Big CB fan here. And also the electric smoker too and I can make anything now. CB forum is down now so we all came here.
Just look up beesr and you will find more tips and hints for anything you want to cook, we also have Tommy, our resident guru who knows it all about cooking on the beesr, SRG and TBE. And he is so helpful and will answer any questions you have. Have fun with it.
Your gonna love the Patio Bistro..I have cooked on one of them too.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:17:57 AM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:14:26 AM »
Welcome from Manitoba, Canada ;D

Congratulations on the weight loss and I can't wait to see your cooks.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:13:50 AM »
Welcome from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »
Welcome from Southern California
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
Here's another welcome from the Buckeye state.

Like Pam mentioned, Tommy is definitely a guru with the Big Easy & SRG type smokers, and he's a really good guy to boot! We have some others on here to who also have their fair share of experience with them as, so you're in good hands.

P.S.  Interesting twist with your username!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Hello
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
Welcome from Minnesota
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 10:16:40 AM »
Welcome from Houston.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
Welcome from North Carolina.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »
Welcome from mid Alabama.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
A BIG welcome from South Arkansas  ;)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 10:33:05 PM »
Welcome from Alabama!  I own 2 BEESR's as well as other Big Easy cookers.
So if you have questions just ask we are here to have fun and learn from each other

Between myself and many others here who use Big Easy's I believe this is the BEST Big Easy site there is going.       
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »
Welcome  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
You a John Vanbiesbrouck fan??   Great goalie in his day
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION