Author Topic: First BEESR cook: thanksgiving turkey  (Read 5426 times)

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

First BEESR cook: thanksgiving turkey
« Reply #-1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:40:27 AM »
Found out the whole family will be out of town for Thanksgiving, leaving just my wife and I to fend for ourselves on Thursday.

So, since my BEESR was delivered yesterday and I had a turkey in the fridge today, figured I'd break it in by preparing our Thanksgiving meal early. That way we can just roll out of bed and warm up the food before watching her Lions (and then my Cowboys) on Thursday. With no family to visit or help cook, I figured my wife would prefer to spend the day sleeping, eating, and watching football -- no cooking.

I started with the basics. Seasoned the cooker with vegetable oil. Stuck the digital probe in a glass of ice water to make sure I was getting a good reading before I began, to be safe.

It was an 11.26 pound turkey. Rubbed a little peanut oil on it, then rubbed in some salt and pepper.

Not too nuts with how the turkey sat in the basket. Guess I'll have to break down and buy some kind of rack to rest the turkey on so it stays more upright, because it came out with a kind of curved/slumping posture that held even when I moved it from the basket to a pan for carving. Not a big deal usually, but if I was preparing a proper holiday meal for family, I'd probably want it to look as perfect as possible. Plus I think it'd cook even better if it's more upright in the middle of the basket instead of slumping to one side.

Put it in the preheated BEESR at 10:28 AM, and I cooked it on the highest setting the whole way. Went from a closed lid to an open lid beginning at 12:17 PM, figuring it'd crisp up the skin, with the internal temperature at 138. Cooked until 1:00 PM when I yanked it from the BEESR with an internal temperature of 161.

I was a little surprised it took as long as it did, as I'd heard tell of cooking times coming out to roughly 10 minutes per pound (and my cook overshot that estimated time). It's been pretty cold in New Mexico lately, but this cook actually took place on a nice, warm day. Outside temperature was 58 degrees when I started the cook, and it was in the high 60's when it ended. So I don't feel like the cooking time was dragged out at all because of cold weather (although I believe the cooking times/temperatures listed in the booklet are based on a 90-degree environment, so maybe the 50's and 60's are dragging it out a bit despite feeling rather warm and pleasant to me). I wonder if the cooking time would've been better if I did a more thorough job of seasoning the cooking chamber? Hopefully it'll improve as I continue seasoning it.

I let the turkey rest a bit. Then I removed it from the basket by turning the basket on its side and inserting the handle of my thickest/sturdiest wooden mixing spoon all the way into and through the turkey, and using the spoon to lift/carry the bird over to a pan. I told my wife afterwards that it's a good thing we bought such thick wooden spoons, because that maneuver would've snapped the handle off standard wooden mixing spoons.

So, I have to say, I'm very impressed with the cooker. Juiciest turkey I've ever made in my life, and it's not even close. It was so juicy and moist, I told my wife that it was almost making me fear that the turkey was under-cooked. I'm just so used to turkey coming out more dry. Of course, I tested the temperature with multiple thermometers, and the turkey also passed the "eye test" as my wife and I both agreed it looked perfectly white and fully cooked. It was just so moist and juicy, I scared myself for a moment as I wondered if the lack of dryness meant I'd pulled it too early.

My wife agreed it was very good, from the samples we helped ourselves to while I was carving it up. She's already floated a test balloon about the idea that we should just eat this turkey now and cook another one for Thanksgiving.

SIDE NOTE: I moved the cooker indoor this evening after it was totally cool. I saw a mouse scurry away from the cooker when I went out to move it after it cooled down. Not sure if the mouse had been messing with the cooker, or if it was a coincidence that it happened to be near the cooker. I'd dumped the drippings from the pan after I cooked the turkey earlier in the afternoon, but I wonder if the mouse was attracted to the warmth of the device (or some remnants of the drippings). I find myself wondering if leaving it outdoors will attract animals or rodents to the cooker. And if it gets their attention, can they actually gain access to the inside of it? If the cooker is sitting on a flat concrete surface, can mice wriggle their way into the machine to get a taste of any residue left in the dripping pan?

ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: My wife thinks the cooker looks like a robot. I hadn't thought about it, but it kinda looks like R2-D2 dressed up as Darth Vader.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Re: First BEESR cook: thanksgiving turkey
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:50:07 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving .
nice looking turkey . was the skin crispy ?
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »
Good looking turkey!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »
Good looking bird.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:54:36 AM »
Very nice looking turkey!  And - bring it inside is not a bad idea. Last year chipmunks chewed up the wiring harness on my car ( $1500 worth of damage ) so - I think you are better off anytime you can bring an electric appliance indoors for storage.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
Great job on your bird! Looks great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »
I use an empty champagne bottle as a "beer can " verticle support for turkey in the BEEZER.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
That turkey looks delicious and has great color.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
Good looking bird! As far as cooking times go, it is done when it is done. Internal temp is the key, especially with poultry. Outside temps, wind and especially the internal temp of the meat when you put it on to cook will all impact your cooking time. Let your bird sit and warm up a bit before you put it in to cook.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:03 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving .
nice looking turkey . was the skin crispy ?
It was very crispy. Very pleased that it turned out so golden and crisp.

I used less oil than I expected. I believe I originally poured out almost half a cup into a dish to rub all over the turkey. Don't think I used even half that amount which I poured into the dish. And, seeing how crispy this one turned out, makes me think I could probably get away with using even less and it'd still turn out pretty golden and crispy.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 04:20:47 AM »
I add some soft butter and oil and gahhlick to the outside of mine to crisp up and brown real pretty. About and hour and half - 2 hours for a 13 lb bird. I use cherry wood for the color and taste too.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 04:27:12 AM »
Actually, after thinking about it some more, I think the skin was crispiest towards the area that cooked the highest in the chamber. Not sure if that area of skin is more prone to being crispy, or if it's just because the chamber is hotter the higher you go.

In hindsight, maybe I should have used the half-racks to block off the lowest area of the basket to make sure the turkey was raised as high as possible. You can probably see from the pictures of the turkey in the basket that there was plenty of room to spare higher up in the basket.

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 04:32:48 AM »
I add some soft butter and oil and gahhlick to the outside of mine to crisp up and brown real pretty. About and hour and half - 2 hours for a 13 lb bird. I use cherry wood for the color and taste too.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
I thought about using butter to try to brown the skin up darker. But I was worried that if it was too dark, my wife might turn her nose up at it, claiming "it looks burnt."

Oddly, I couldn't seem to find wood chips for smoking when I went grocery shopping at Walmart. Didn't see them in the camping section. Didn't see them in the grocery section. Perhaps they're somewhere in the garden/outdoors section, but that area has been taken over by Christmas stuff and I didn't notice it there either.

Probably have to wait until I make a trip to Ace Hardware to pick up some stuff for smoking.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 04:47:17 AM »
I use a Tommy ring, which is a springform pan, with the middle taken out, to raise the turkey up and I also use the half shelves to get it out of the dead zone. Turkey goes in chest down, but the cherry wood does it. Do you have a TSC or some tractor supply there? I get my chips from Menard's or Lowe's too.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 04:52:42 AM »
Ah, I have a Tractor Supply Co. store 3.5 miles from my house, actually. (And only about a mile from the Walmart where I did my grocery shopping for supplies.)

I should've thought to run over there. They'd definitely have BBQ gear.