Author Topic: First BEESR cook: thanksgiving turkey  (Read 5427 times)

Offline aliengriller

Re: First BEESR cook: thanksgiving turkey
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
Welcome, neighbor!   Don't know what part of town you live in, BUT we live south--south of RHS.   Yes, Westlake (Ace hardware) has LOTS of wood chips, as well as rubs, sauces, etc.   A good supply of grilling stuff--and they carry it all year long.   Boosted up in the spring, but always there.    I have done turkey in the SRG, but family prefers them the way I have been doing them for years--on the trusty CB 940X.   Have brined, injected, used peanut oil/soy sauce mixture, some others.   This year, going back to the butter/stock injection along with a few spices, etc.    We'll see.   IF you'd like to get together and talk grilling, HMU in a personal message.   Always happy to talk about grilling and the fun I have doing it.   AND, yes--mice will get into grills, etc., IF they are not kept clean.   Found that out with my gasser after I put kitty litter in the drip pan--they loved it.   Don't use it hardly at all anymore, so no litter, no "lava rock" to catch all that grease.   Just line the drip pan with foil, pull it out and dispose.   My gasser used primarily for storage now--I know, a hell of an expensive storage cabinet!   LOL

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
Great looking turkey, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 11:34:09 PM »
Welcome, neighbor!   Don't know what part of town you live in, BUT we live south--south of RHS.   Yes, Westlake (Ace hardware) has LOTS of wood chips, as well as rubs, sauces, etc.   A good supply of grilling stuff--and they carry it all year long.   Boosted up in the spring, but always there.    I have done turkey in the SRG, but family prefers them the way I have been doing them for years--on the trusty CB 940X.   Have brined, injected, used peanut oil/soy sauce mixture, some others.   This year, going back to the butter/stock injection along with a few spices, etc.    We'll see.   IF you'd like to get together and talk grilling, HMU in a personal message.   Always happy to talk about grilling and the fun I have doing it.   AND, yes--mice will get into grills, etc., IF they are not kept clean.   Found that out with my gasser after I put kitty litter in the drip pan--they loved it.   Don't use it hardly at all anymore, so no litter, no "lava rock" to catch all that grease.   Just line the drip pan with foil, pull it out and dispose.   My gasser used primarily for storage now--I know, a hell of an expensive storage cabinet!   LOL

I'm located just off East Pine Lodge. We'll definitely have to get together some time.

Incidentally, since I've got the attention of a New Mexico guy, I have to ask... do you have any particularly good recipes that incorporate red or green chile? After spending years away from New Mexico, I've been putting green chile on everything to make up for lost time. But after living here for a couple of years now, I've grown a little bored of always having it the same old ways (usually with eggs or on top of a cheeseburger, or of course in the usual enchilada or burrito type dishes). I've tried making a pasole without pork (the wife hates pork), and wasn't pleased with it.

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
Would be pleased to help you with chile recipes--we have LOTS of them.   Both wife and I like to cook and collect cookbooks--you name it, we probably have it, including quite a few "local" ones published by churches, civic groups, banks, schools, etc.    A lot of recipes in those books have chile based ones.    Too much to post here--send me a pm with your contact info and we can communicate by phone/email--whatever your preference.   You can try chicken in posole, but I don't think it's as good.   You can also use beef tripe and make menudo--just to tell your wife where beef tripe comes from!  We can meet somewhere for coffee or ? if that's your preference.   Your wife is welcome.   Probably best after this weekend--lots and lots of family and goings on here starting this afternoon.    Larry

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 01:19:59 AM »
It's funny you mention the menudo with tripe. My wife came home one day not too long ago, telling of a coworker who brought in some homemade dish, and how she almost threw up when the girl told her what was in it. That's exactly what she had.

I try to stick to chicken and turkey if I'm cooking something in the hopes my wife will eat it. Tougher to get her to eat beef. About impossible to get her to eat pork (which is a shame, because so many good chile recipes work with it).

Any favorite green or red chile recipes you might have that would use poultry (or even just vegetables) with the chile would be very appreciated.

I responded to your private message with my info, by the way.