Author Topic: TMB style ribs in SRG  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: TMB style ribs in SRG
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 02:32:57 AM »
Your ribs look great to me..I just rub mine and put sauce on the side..sauce doesn't like me. Love using the hooks too. Good job. I forget what temp I pulled them. I did the wiggle thing.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline richvalle

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »
YUM, them ribs look guuu-uuud!!!  I'd say you did a great job with this batch.

One question:  You mentioned you'd like to get your ribs closer to 160° instead of 190°?  160° seems a little underdone to me or am I missing something since this is an infrared cooker?

160 is the min temp for pork (from what I remember). I think the ribs came out a little on the dry side so pulling them sooner would have been better I think.

Offline themadprofessor

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 04:26:16 AM »
This last weekend I tried the TMB method for my ribs as well since this was my first batch of ribs in the SRG.  I did learn a few things that I would change for next time.  The flavor was insane but they did not fall off the bone like I am used to.  They were still tender though and the bark on them was awesome.

1. I ran mine for 35 min with Pecan smoke on high.  I think I might do it next time with them on low with smoke.  I feel like they may have gotten a bit too cooked on high.  Same with the Foil wrap.  Will extend cooking time on Low in foil.

2. I was so excited to do the ribs that I forgot to hang them on hooks and instead laid them flat on the two rungs about mid level.  I realize my mistake when the ends where more done than the middle.  Pretty dry.  I will be buying the burger holder to keep the ribs upright and more in the middle for an even cook.  The middle ribs were outstanding.

I do have a question for TMB.  When you wrap in foil, do you place them flat or back in the burger rack?

TMB, thank you for helping so many of us newbies get started with the SRG.  Hmmm, what to cook next?
TheMadProfessor
SRG
TBE
Lynx 30
Bayou Classic
Camp Chef

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »
This last weekend I tried the TMB method for my ribs as well since this was my first batch of ribs in the SRG.  I did learn a few things that I would change for next time.  The flavor was insane but they did not fall off the bone like I am used to.  They were still tender though and the bark on them was awesome.

1. I ran mine for 35 min with Pecan smoke on high.  I think I might do it next time with them on low with smoke.  I feel like they may have gotten a bit too cooked on high.  Same with the Foil wrap.  Will extend cooking time on Low in foil.

2. I was so excited to do the ribs that I forgot to hang them on hooks and instead laid them flat on the two rungs about mid level.  I realize my mistake when the ends where more done than the middle.  Pretty dry.  I will be buying the burger holder to keep the ribs upright and more in the middle for an even cook.  The middle ribs were outstanding.

I do have a question for TMB.  When you wrap in foil, do you place them flat or back in the burger rack?

TMB, thank you for helping so many of us newbies get started with the SRG.  Hmmm, what to cook next?
I have done them both ways,  If you trim the first few ribs (small end) they will fit in a burger basket without  any problem, then you can wrap in foil place them in the burger basket OR wrap real good and stand them up in the round basket leaning against the side of the basket.  I have found both ways work well, it's up to you on what works best.

Glad you enjoyed them 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline themadprofessor

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »
Thanks TMB.  I will give that a shot.  One thing I have realized right away and that is keeping notes of what I am doing.  I have actually found in the much more successes than no with the SRG that it's easier to identify what to do or change as compared to when I grill.

All Hail The Infrared.
TheMadProfessor
SRG
TBE
Lynx 30
Bayou Classic
Camp Chef