Author Topic: My First Turkey in the SRG  (Read 4939 times)

Offline sparkdogg77

My First Turkey in the SRG
« Reply #-1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
I was so excited to cook my first turkey in the SRG (actually, my first turkey ever).

I read several threads and decided on TMB's 2 stick turkey.  I didn't have time to get the WOW trail dust but I recalled reading Mrs. Dash was good too.  So I went to the store and well, they sell about 15 different seasoning blends so I just bought the original blend.

I had problems getting the butter / seasoning mixture into the injector.  The seasoning was too thick to get sucked up into the injector.  Looking back, I didn't let the butter and seasoning cook or simmer.  I believe I just let it melt and stirred it up.  I wonder now, if I had let it cook a bit, would the seasoning broke down enough to go into the injector?  I also forgot to dry off the turkey.

I tried to brush on an even coat of the mixture but by the time I had got the turkey into the basket, over half of my seasoning had dripped off.  Plan B - I sprayed the turkey with cooking spray and sprinkled more Mrs. Dash on it before dropping it into the chamber.  I used the half racks to raise the turkey a bit in the basket. Legs down, breast up.

I used some apple wood smoking chips to see if the smoke would add some flavor as well. I filled the smoke tray up about 4-5 times.  I wasn't able to taste a smoke flavor in the turkey.

This was an 11.5 pound bird so I was guessing around 2 hour cook time.  For the first hour, I cooked with the lid up, watching the thermometer to hit around 130 and was changing out the wood chips every 15 minutes or so.  After the IT hit 130, I raised the lid and rotated 1/3 turn.  I checked a few more times (rotating again after 30 min) and then got busy with things in the kitchen and when I realized I was at my 2 hours, I ran outside to find the IT at 170.  I killed the gas and let it rest for a few minutes in the chamber.

Everyone liked it and said it was very tender.  I think it was a little dry - but I have had much dryer turkeys out of the oven.  Next time, I will make sure to hang around after the 150 mark.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: My First Turkey in the SRG
« on: December 29, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »
Nice job!

Just some ideas/  things to try for the next poultry cook:
1. Get a second hand coffee grinder - and clean it out - use it got fine grinding your spice blends.
2. Simmer the spice blends - then strain them with a fine wire strainer if you are going to inject - or -
3. loosen the skin on the breast an thigh buy using a butter knife and your fingers - and apply the rub - infused butter under the skin - or -
4. combine your rub and room temp butter, then roll the butter up into a log shape in saran wrap and refrigerate - then cut up the butter into small pieces - place them under the skin

Hope those help! Turkey looks good ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:43:01 PM »
Looks great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
Turkey looks great! Ham looks good too!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
Great looking turkey, especially for your first one. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

My First Turkey in the SRG
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »
Looks great! You can also pic up a needle that can handle thicker injections. That is basically all I use.  Here is mine.
Bayou Classic 5011 2-Ounce Stainless-Steel Seasoning Injector with Marinade Needles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KDZ1VA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-XDOub0XQTH7Y
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »
Looks great! You can also pic up a needle that can handle thicker injections. That is basically all I use.  Here is mine.
Bayou Classic 5011 2-Ounce Stainless-Steel Seasoning Injector with Marinade Needles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KDZ1VA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_-XDOub0XQTH7Y

Bet that thing works great when injecting peas. :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
Good looking bird!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
Looks good from here.   Like Tee said , grind with a coffee grinder then go from there.

I cook wit h the lid down then lift it at around 130 IT to finish
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »

I messed around with several needles over the years and finally got one of those. Very happy with it.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline sparkdogg77

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
I cook wit h the lid down then lift it at around 130 IT to finish

I suck at proof reading... I did cook with the lid down until 130.  That was great advice and gave the turkey the perfect brown skin I was looking for.  Thanks!

Offline sparkdogg77

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »
Nice job!

Just some ideas/  things to try for the next poultry cook:
1. Get a second hand coffee grinder - and clean it out - use it got fine grinding your spice blends.
2. Simmer the spice blends - then strain them with a fine wire strainer if you are going to inject - or -
3. loosen the skin on the breast an thigh buy using a butter knife and your fingers - and apply the rub - infused butter under the skin - or -
4. combine your rub and room temp butter, then roll the butter up into a log shape in saran wrap and refrigerate - then cut up the butter into small pieces - place them under the skin

Hope those help! Turkey looks good ;)

Thanks tee for the advice.  I will keep an eye out for a cheap coffee grinder. 

Offline sparkdogg77

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »

That's an awesome looking injector!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
You may also want to check out the Spit Jack    http://spitjack.com/category/MEAT-BRINE-INJECTORS.html

I know they look expensive - but I have owned at least 20 injectors. Cheap ones to fairly expensive. ALL of them failed me. After one of our members here on LTBBQ convinced me - I ordered the SpitJack Magnum Kit. I can assure you, I will never need to buy another one because of failure. This thing is built extremely well. And parts are replaceable as it is based on a large animal veterinary syringe system, with a metering dial to limit how much you inject in one spot. Pretty cool.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 10:59:56 AM »
I just run the spice stuff through the spice grinder. then let it flavor the butter..just another way.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron