Author Topic: French Onion Soup, Steak and a salad  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
French Onion Soup, Steak and a salad
« Reply #-1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:16:56 AM »
Mar 20 1015

The past month I saw Art’s (ACW3) post of French onion soup and several other members made some too. I hadn’t made any for ages and it is one of my wife’s favorites. About two years ago she lost a back rear bottom tooth and then lost the one on the other side and has had trouble chewing. The Dentist said she would not like the plate & she should do transplants if we could afford it. She went with the transplants and just got them done this week. I told her we would have steak tonight to celebrate, but now I am afraid she will always eat her share of steak now!

I bought a Ribeye at my butchers, $10 and told her I thought it would be enough to split after having the soup and have a salad and some sautéed mushrooms with the steak.

I copied the recipe that Art uses and it was close to the way I usually make mine except I don’t use any wine and had never simmered the caramelized onions and broth that long. Instead of wine I use a TBS. of Worcestershire sauce. I have never made my own broth like Art did but I bet it is better!

For my bread I like to toast some English muffins and use a half to float and top with cheese and then under the broiler to melt the cheese and brown some. For my wife’s I used a slice of Swiss and a mix of shredded mozzarella and provolone. For mine I used some Applewood smoked gruyere and the shredded mozzarella and provolone. I think I prefer all Swiss or gruyere. My batch of soup was about half a recipe, I used 3 med. onions, a quart of Swanson’s beef broth and a Tbs. of Worcestershire.

I served the soup about 5:15, it was great and I think the extra simmering really brings out the flavors. My wife commented how good the broth was.

After I ate my soup I seasoned the ribeye with some Penzey’s Chicago steak seasoning and heated up two skillets with a little olive oil spray. I preheated the oven to 350 deg. it was almost there from melting the cheese on the soup.

I did the steak on med. high 3 ½ minutes on the first side and turning the heat back to med. then 3 minutes on the other side and then in the oven for 4 minutes. Meantime I was sautéing the sliced baby bella mushrooms, added some white balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.

It was a little after 6:00 when we ate; the wife had made salads and the steak was just the way we like it rare +. I gave my wife the best half of the ribeye; well it was celebrating her teeth!

Making up my soup

Wife's soup

My steak

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: French Onion Soup, Steak and a salad
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:22:52 AM »
Want... all of it!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
Great looking soup and sides Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »
One of my Fav meals
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
Bowl and plate me, Don!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:10:23 PM »
Perfect celebration and a beautiful meal!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

French Onion Soup, Steak and a salad
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
Two of my favorites. Well done sir!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109