Author Topic: Thanksgiving Concern  (Read 4039 times)

Offline mdnuts

Thanksgiving Concern
« Reply #-1 on: October 27, 2015, 07:46:37 AM »
Hey folks,

I got the Big Easy 3-n-1 with the plan to simultaneously cook a 5-6 lb pork butt and a 12lb or so turkey.  Previous Thanksgivings I went the deep fry route where I was able to cook one then the other pretty quickly and still get them out in time.

My first shot at the device was to cook a 4.5lb Pork Butt - I think I under-cooked it, second shot I cooked a 5.0lb pork butt and put foil on the top of it, then the racks for the basket and on top of that 3 large chicken breasts.  The Breasts were done pretty quickly but the Pork Butt started giving me really odd temperature readings.    I used two thermometers (Cappec's Kitchen / Oven / BBQ / Smoker Thermometer - High temperature resistant cable) - one in the pork and one in a chicken breast and later moved the chicken breast one into the pork as well.  Before I knew it one of them started alerting that temperature was reached and it showed temperature of 250-300 degrees.  I checked it with a handheld digital thermometer and it showed in the 130 range.  My guess is the thermometers picked up more of the ambient temperature in the device itself.  Trusting the handheld one more I kept looking until it hit 160 range - just shy of 3 hours (on high the entire time).

There's the background info - here's my new delima - how do I cook both?  If it's hotter at the top of the unit - i'd need to put the pork up there and if the turkey's done first it'd make a hellova mess trying to get it out.  If the turkey also takes 3 hours to cook  there's no time to cook one then the other.  I thought about cooking the pork the day before until it reaches 130 or so, then on T-day cook the turkey and when it's at about 140 - put the pork on and finish them both off.

Thoughts, ideas?  does 3 hours seem excessive for a 5lb pork on high?  Is there a reliable thermometer that works well inside the big easy with the lid shut?

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
Re: Thanksgiving Concern
« on: October 27, 2015, 10:35:21 AM »
I'm sure Tommy will drop in, but I wouldn't try to cook them at the same time.   If I was making a Pork butt I would cook it first ( I love Tommy's Recipe) and then I would FTC the pork and start my Turkey.   I've kept pork in the cooler for quite a while and it was still too hot to pull by hand.  Good luck and throw up some pics :)
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »
I would do it with the turkey first...roast is gonna cook faster and you can FTC and keep turkey  for a lot longer time.. I have done this when cooking back to back turkeys and it works for me..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »
Not sure why (just me) you want to cook them together?  Pam has a good idea, but if I were doing such a cook the butt would be first since you can FTC it for a long time without hurting it or even cook it the day before and reheat it. 

Pork butt taste good reheated and hard to tell when it was cooked , where as a turkey can dry out over time and that's not good eats.

If you do my 15-10-8 method on the butt I think you will be very happy with the results  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11668.0

and if you really want to kick the turkey up, do my Two Stick turkey idea.   
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=1604.msg15286#msg15286
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
Tommy is the king of infrared cooking. He won't steer you wrong  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
Pork butt can be fully cooked a day in advance or held in a cooler (treated with boiling water first) for hours.
I wouldn't try to cook them at the same time.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline mdnuts

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:09:31 AM »
Thank you, I never heard of the FTC method - course I'm pretty new at this.  I don't actually have a cooler but i did just pick up one for the car that should fit a 5 lb pork okay.

A couple of questions.  I'm assuming on the BEESR the 15, 10, 8 is high, med-high and medium (on the SRG).  If that's the case i'm guessing a what 4 hour cook time for a 5 lb pork butt?  That'd be in the unit at 7am, out at 11am, then in with the turkey by noon.  If the 12lb turkey is a 3 hour cook (using the 2 stick method) that'd bring it out by roughly 3 which would be right on time.

Side note - i'm surprised at the small amount of rub needed to inject the turkey? 

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
Thank you, I never heard of the FTC method - course I'm pretty new at this.  I don't actually have a cooler but i did just pick up one for the car that should fit a 5 lb pork okay.

A couple of questions.  I'm assuming on the BEESR the 15, 10, 8 is high, med-high and medium (on the SRG).  If that's the case i'm guessing a what 4 hour cook time for a 5 lb pork butt?  That'd be in the unit at 7am, out at 11am, then in with the turkey by noon.  If the 12lb turkey is a 3 hour cook (using the 2 stick method) that'd bring it out by roughly 3 which would be right on time.

Side note - i'm surprised at the small amount of rub needed to inject the turkey?
I miss read the thread I thought you had the BEESR

SRG butt is high for 15 mins to get the wood smoking (may need to add more time )  once the smoke starts rolling real good place the butt in the chamber and turn the unit to low or med low and keep an eye on IT it will go fast for small butts.  Once it hits 205 remove FTC for min of 2 hrs then pull apart and add about 1/2 cup apple juice and store in a sealed container

Turkey in the SRG is this..  If running smoke run 15 min pre-heat to start smoke. Once the smoke is rolling place the turkey in the chamber (setting HIGH) and make sure you place a prob in the turkey so you can watch the IT .   Pull when IT  hits 165 in the thigh.

As for the rub, I use two to three Tbl's of  Mrs. Dash mixed into the two sticks of butter.  You can use more but for me it works just fine.  Remember it's your bird and your taste use whatever your taste buds tell you to  ;) Just inject 1 1/2 sticks into the bird and what drips out of the holes use that to brush the skin with before cooking.

Just remember  to brush the outside skin with the remaining butter (1/2 stick remaining) near the end of the cook  and once temp is reached let the turkey rest in the chamber lid up and heat off for 15 to 20 mins.  This will really help with the skin staying crisp.

JUST A HEADS UP.........

Remember meat is meat and no two butts or turkeys cook the same every time, so keep that in mind when trying to time the butt and bird.  I have had butts go 4 hrs and 5 hrs yet they were the same size.  Believe me I have 123 butts cooked in infrared and all were different to a point time wise,  so give yourself extra time for the cook.  Once they are FTC'd you can hold them all day and still be wonderful. Just make sure you have a good cooler/food holder

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline mdnuts

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »
really 205 IT for the pork?  it took me 2:45 to get it to 165 before - that was at the bottom of the cooker so maybe i should have had it a bit higher  hopefully i'll be good on hitting it at 7am.

Thanks for the assistance i really appreciate it.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 12:32:58 PM »
really 205 IT for the pork?  it took me 2:45 to get it to 165 before - that was at the bottom of the cooker so maybe i should have had it a bit higher  hopefully i'll be good on hitting it at 7am.

205F is a good frame of reference. and THAT temp. should be subject to a "probe test". In other words. Check the temp for 205F IT. THEN...use a probe ( from your thermometer, or a bamboo skewer - or a long toothpick - the kind they poke into thick  $10 hamburgers
at a nice joint ;)....

If the probe goes in with little to no resistance ( like "buttah" ;D ) then you know the pork will pull very easily. More resistance = a tougher pull...and then you may need to chop the pork.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »

205 has  been the IT that gives me the best results.    I know it may not sound right but that's the temp i shoot for

Use your half racks to raise the meat to the center of the chamber, the lower it is the longer it takes.    This is the reason I came up with the Tommy Ring, to raise the basket up off the bottom and get it out of the "Dead Zone".

Well I call it that anyway
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »
Excellent advice from TMB and the rest.  But you never clarified if you are going to slice the butt or use it for pulled pork. 
If you are slicing it then 160 to 170 works (at least for me) or if you are using it for pulled pork then it really needs to get
to the 203 to 207 range. Don't just rely on your thermo. Do the toothpick, probe or skewer test. If it goes in like butter
than you are there. Another way to check is to see if the bone is real loose and ready to come out of the butt, provided
you aren't cooking a boneless butt. Just my 2 cents worth.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline mdnuts

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
i have much to learn.  Honestly i hadn't thought about pulling it - but i may just have to get another pork butt to eat - i mean test this weekend.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
i have much to learn.  Honestly i hadn't thought about pulling it - but i may just have to get another pork butt to eat - i mean test this weekend.

Once you have tried pulled pork I don't believe you will even think about slicing one again!  ;) There are numerous
pulled pork recipes here. My suggestion is to try the very first one on the list by Teesquare.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline mdnuts

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 06:55:52 AM »
bit late for this weekend but i'll try it after thanksgiving.

I don't have a smoker - I was thinking about putting one on low in the srg and see how long it takes and how it does.