Author Topic: Brat & Bologna Bites and Beer Brined Fries  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Brat & Bologna Bites and Beer Brined Fries
« Reply #-1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:05:44 AM »
Jan 30 2016

I love brats and sometimes I take brats from my butcher, take them out of the casings and make brat patties.I found a recipe for brat bites, meatballs, and beer horseradish mustard. I had already made the mustard and bought 4 fresh brats from my butcher.

We were blessed with 56 deg. and sun today so it was great to be out cooking. 56 deg. In Jan. is almost unheard of here in Ohio! Before noon I cut up the potatoes for fries and mixed a tablespoon of salt with a lager beer. I added the potatoes and enough water to cover then in the fridge to brine for over 3 hours. About an hour before baking them drain and rinse in a collander then back in the fridge to drain well.

I cut the 4 brats in thirds, removed the casings and made the meatballs. I seasoned half with Super Pig and half with Blues Hog Rub. They went in the fridge for a little over an hour before smoking. I also had one inch chunk of old fashioned bung bologna from my butcher I cut up and seasoned with Blues Hog Rub.

I put the brat bites and bologna on my Treager at 4:30 PM preheated to 190 deg. about 200-210 grill level. After 45 minutes I went to 270-280 grill level for another 45 minutes.

I got the fries ready to go in a 400 deg. oven for a half hour, coated them with ghee and Penzey's sandwich sprinkle and turned them half way through.

It all came together at 6:00 PM, my wife had made us a green salad. It all tasted great, the brats bites were just right, done but still juicy inside! My mustard was goo with the brats and bologna! My oven fries didn't get as brown as usual. I used ghee for the first time and think it is better suited for skillet frying. I will go back to olive oil the next time.

At 45 minutes

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

Re: Brat & Bologna Bites and Beer Brined Fries
« on: January 31, 2016, 08:48:35 AM »
Nice looking plate Don!
Did the beer brine impart enough flavor?

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 09:19:08 AM »
That's all you need right there.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:21:12 AM »
Looks mighty tasty!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:37:59 AM »
Nice looking plate Don!
Gene I don't really note a lot of flavor from the beer. I just think they are better in the oven after the brine. I never tried to deep fry any yet. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 11:30:26 AM »
Nice looking plate Don!
Gene I don't really note a lot of flavor from the beer. I just think they are better in the oven after the brine. I never tried to deep fry any yet. Don
Don I remember my mother used to cut up the fries and pack them in ice water the morning of, before frying them. Not sure why but they were always good!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
Nice looking plate Don!
Don I remember my mother used to cut up the fries and pack them in ice water the morning of, before frying them. Not sure why but they were always good!
I have brined them with vinegar & water too but I like the beer brine better. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
Nice looking plate Don!
I have brined them with vinegar & water too but I like the beer brine better. Don
Don, I phoned my brother,  he said mom swore the ice water helped keep the fries crisp.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »
Nice looking plate Don!
Don, I phoned my brother,  he said mom swore the ice water helped keep the fries crisp.
Thanks Gene I but mine in the fridge but will try adding some ice next time. As soon as it's warm enough to cook outside I want to deep fry some too. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi