Author Topic: Broil King Smoke Offset Smoker  (Read 48268 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Broil King Smoke Offset Smoker
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »
The firebox will rust, get some high temp black paint made for grills and keep it painted, it will help it last longer. Like LA said keep foil in the bottom and most of all don't let ash sit in it. Even covered on a deck that ash will absorb moisture and set up an "acidic" like reaction that will eat through the metal. People are always telling me their grills "burn out" when it is because they leave a bunch of ash in the bottom.

Good advice TP (Two Pockets), the BKO has a pullout stainless steel ash pan that makes clean up a breeze...no excuses for a burn out  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 05:17:47 PM »
The firebox will rust, get some high temp black paint made for grills and keep it painted, it will help it last longer. Like LA said keep foil in the bottom and most of all don't let ash sit in it. Even covered on a deck that ash will absorb moisture and set up an "acidic" like reaction that will eat through the metal. People are always telling me their grills "burn out" when it is because they leave a bunch of ash in the bottom.

Good advice TP (Two Pockets), the BKO has a pullout stainless steel ash pan that makes clean up a breeze...no excuses for a burn out  8)

Cool!
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »
Pullout stainless steel ash pan, now who would of thought in the price range?
Nice
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 08:39:25 PM »
Pullout stainless steel ash pan, now who would of thought in the price range?
Nice

There are also 2 stainless ash pan/heat diffusers in the smoking chamber for direct grilling.......and a full length pull out ss ash pan  :)

Both handles and the bottle opener ( the bottle opener got a big work out last night..........the reason for no pics) are stainless as well

The three rotodraft vents are aluminum. There are also charcoal cleanout doors on the firebox and the smoking chamber...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 09:20:39 PM »
So ummmm, when does the smoked food picks show up?  ;)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 10:14:05 PM »
So ummmm, when does the smoked food picks show up?  ;)

Sorry, sobering up today and we have 60 mph winds. Will post the next cook...promise  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2016, 09:46:39 PM »
As promised time for another cook on the BKO.

Now I have previously have done a smoke with briqs and one with briqs and lump and one with Oak splits.

When Broil King suggests lump as the recommended source of fuel they mean it.

I filled up the fire box with mesquite lump and lets see what happens:

Picked up a rack of beef back ribs..added some cheap yellow mustard and Jans Original rub

6 hours later (foiled for the last hour)

This Broil King Offset is one heck of a pit. I added lump maybe two times. When I did, I cracked the side fire box door to maintain temps. The offset stayed at 225 for the entire cook. I kept the rotodraft dampers wide open on the firebox and the smokestack. The BKO went to 225 and just stayed there...no adjustments at all.

This just might be the missing link in the offset world  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
Those look great Smoke!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2016, 01:02:00 AM »
Ribs look great!!! Keep on Smokin!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline 4cornersmoker

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2016, 10:06:15 AM »
Smoke, congrats on your new pit. As you know I got a Good One from your reviews. I take it from you post that the Broil King will not carry the heat that the Good One will. Just wondering your thoughts on this. I live at 7200 feet, I smoke year round with cold & windy weather. The Good One is not bothered much with this. Of course its $600 more. That being said, do you see the BK smoker working in windy colder higher elevation? Would like to hear your opinion on these 2 different pits.
Also the Good One pit came in pieces, would it be possible to take it right through your house into the back yard. I believe it weighs around 200lbs. Love your post & keep up the good work.
4 cornersmoker
18.8 Weber one touch, 22.5 Weber Performer,18.5 WSM, Weber go anywhere, smoky joe Bronc smoker, med green egg, & PBC. Hasty Bake 414, The Good One Open Range.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2016, 11:10:48 AM »
Hey 4 corners. Even taking the legs off of the unit.....we would have had a pretty treacherous slope to navigate around the property to get the Good One on the back deck......the fact that it snowed and we all had the flu during the move didn't make matters easier. It made sense at the time to sell it to the buyers of our old house.

I am at 6000 feet in elevation and we have lots of winds. I have cooked on and off with Open Ranges (Gen 1 and Gen 3) since 2011 in all kind of conditions. I feel with the spinners on the Good One will help with windy conditions.

The one thing I have noticed with the Gen  is that it is not as heavy as the older units. The bodies used to be out of 11 gauge and even though some reports on-line say it still is.....nope........the lids are still 14 ga. The Good One line of smokers are top notch and if they are good enough for Chris Marks they are good enough for me...
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:29 PM »
OK, time to grill in the main chamber. There are two stainless heat deflector/charcoal grate trays in the main chamber. Underneath is a full length stainless ash pan. This is really handy for when you grill and smoke with this unit. I hate grease fires. This really helps.

Got some mesquite lump in the right deflector/charcoal grate and left the other clear. This picture also gives you a good view of the adjustable heat baffle.

I toasted the buns and kicked em over to the left side and got the pattys on

I really like these cast iron cooking grates (they are reversible so you have channels to baste the meat while grilling)

Boigers for dinner and lunch tomorrow

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2016, 05:38:38 AM »
Great looking burgers!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Gunsmokers

• Gunsmokers Facebook Page
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
Hey 4 corners. Even taking the legs off of the unit.....we would have had a pretty treacherous slope to navigate around the property to get the Good One on the back deck......the fact that it snowed and we all had the flu during the move didn't make matters easier. It made sense at the time to sell it to the buyers of our old house.

I am at 6000 feet in elevation and we have lots of winds. I have cooked on and off with Open Ranges (Gen 1 and Gen 3) since 2011 in all kind of conditions. I feel with the spinners on the Good One will help with windy conditions.

The one thing I have noticed with the Gen  is that it is not as heavy as the older units. The bodies used to be out of 11 gauge and even though some reports on-line say it still is.....nope........the lids are still 14 ga. The Good One line of smokers are top notch and if they are good enough for Chris Marks they are good enough for me...

Hmmm, the body not made from the advertised 11ga steel? That's a concern. Part of the reason I like the Open Range was solid body construction.

~Gunsmokers~

Well, lets just say it doesn't seem like 11 gauge to me.......I think the Gen 1 and Gen 2 might have been thicker.

No worries, this pit is made for the long haul and with the new ash pan/charcoal grate your fire-box will last longer than us  8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:54:16 PM by smokeasaurus »

Offline Gunsmokers

• Gunsmokers Facebook Page
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »

Well, lets just say it doesn't seem like 11 gauge to me.......I think the Gen 1 and Gen 2 might have been thicker.

No worries, this pit is made for the long haul and with the new ash pan/charcoal grate your fire-box will last longer than us  8)

Yeah, I super stoked.  I haven't put down over $1000 for anything in a long time and I feel good about this investment....

~Gunsmokers~