Author Topic: Pulled Pork in the TBE - First attempt  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Ericd3043

Pulled Pork in the TBE - First attempt
« Reply #-1 on: May 21, 2016, 10:08:35 PM »
This was my first attempt at pulled pork and thanks to everyone that gave advice to make this happen.  I started with a 9.62 lb pound picnic roast.  The original plan was to feed both shifts of employees as another option to the burgers and dogs the company provided.  I ended up not having it ready in time and only 1 shift got the pork.

The Patient:

I started with the pork on Thursday.  I made an injection marinade with Apple Juice, salt, etc ( I will put the recipes on recipe page - they are on my other computer).  I injected it on just the meat side, leaving the fat cap untouched.  I then made a rub that I found online that included kosher salt, brown sugar, cumin, cayenne and chili powder, etc.

The Rub...

The roast with the rub and marinade

After covering it, I had it sit in the oven until the morning.  The plan was to have it to work at noon to pull it.  I got up at 3:45am, fired up the TBE and let it get to temp.  I had the meat sitting out for about 15 minutes.  Due to the time of the day, I was not patient enough to let warm up some prior to putting it in the TBE.  I set the meat in the cage and had it in at 4:15am.  I did place some wood chips in the bottom and used the Tommy ring.  However, I am not sure I did enough on the smoking and decided not to pursue it.

At 7am, I got back up and found the temp to be 148.  There was a nice char on the outside and seemed doing going good, so I went back to bed.  The kids would not let me get any more sleep so I was back up at 7:30.  I decided to check the pork and was alarmed to see the temp at 180.  Thinking back, it probably said 160 - but then again, I was tired!

The pork pulled out, getting ready to be wrapped up.  The fat cap was well charred, but that seemed to be the only thing that was really burnt.  The smell was pretty good though and my wife/ step mom wanted a taste right then.  I wrapped the pork in 3 layers of foil, added about 1/4 cup of apple juice in prior to wrapping and placed it back in the TBE.

The patient back in to get it to 205.

At 11am, I found the temp to be 205 and pulled it out of the  TBE.  I did the FTC method and set it aside.  I then used the Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce that Smoke posted in the recipe page, made a double batch (partially to make sure I had some at home) and set it aside to cool.

I got to work and pulled the pork prior to a training session at 1:15.  I only had 15 minutes to do the pulling, but it turned out pretty good.  The one thing I noticed was that the crust was really soft - most likely from the added apple juice as well as cooking it in the foil.  I had flipped it so the fat cap was on the bottom.  The outside of the cap was really dark, but the meat inside was really moist.  I personally found that the meat was a little on the salty side.  However, once I added some of the BBQ sauce, it really worked well.

The final product.

Overall, the 12 guys put away a lot of hamburgers and hot dogs.  By the time we ate, the BBQ was cold and most people added the pork to both the burgers and dogs.  The true tale of how the pork tasted ?  Almost all of the 5lb of meat was gone.  My 12 year old then stopped by and tasted it.  She is extremely picky and yet she could not stop eating the meat!  I also had one of the employees asked me . 

I thought it was pretty good overall.  In the future, I will be lowering the salt in the internal marinade and adding some additional heat to the BBQ sauce.  I may also eliminate the Apple juice from the foiling as I want the crust a little more firm. 

Recipes to be posted tomorrow...

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Pulled Pork in the TBE - First attempt
« on: May 21, 2016, 10:24:50 PM »
I got the buns and cole slaw...now I just need a big old scoop of that good looking pulled poke  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 10:30:19 PM »
I'll take a Sammy too please,  Looks Great!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:47:44 PM »
Looks good hope it worked they way you wanted it to.  TBE is not the best cooker for pulled pork but it can be cheated to put out a good product.  Now the SRG is a great cooker so if you want to keep doing these I would look into one. 

The time you showed from start to 160 is about right because I do 8 to 10 lbs butts in about 4 to 5 hrs and there at 205 when pull them.

If you want to try and lower the temp you can mod it by replacing the regular with an adjustable one this way you can cook on low
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 11:09:27 PM »
Looks like you did great on your first one!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Elzic

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 09:50:27 AM »
Looks like you did good.  Now it's just a matter of convincing yourself that you don't need to make one EVERY weekend... I fight that struggle every time I'm at the grocery store now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Elzic
Norfolk, VA
Novice Producer, Experienced Consumer.
Big Easy SRG

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 01:35:18 PM »
No buns.
Per Sweetie "Southern Georgia law says pulled pork must go with floppy white bread and of course coleslaw".

Now if I had some your pulled pork.  Congrats on a good cook.

Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Roget

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
That looks really good. Making me want to do one.

I have had a TBE for quite some time but have never cooked a butt in it.
I just purchased an SRG & think I might try one in it.
I'm used to smoking my butts for 18 -20 hour. (really low temp) Would be nice to be able to get one finished quicker. Can you keep them moist by cooking them faster at the higher temp.?
Can someone tell me the approx. temp of the TBE?
How about the temps of the SRG (at low on up to high maybe?)
I noticed last night that the SRG really surprised me how fast it browned some chicken thighs and drumsticks. It didn't feel all that hot, but it must have been hotter than I thought it was.
Thanks in advance for any feed back on approximate temps that anyone can provide.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »
make that Sunbeam bread.......I am not a big fan of PP but yours did look good
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »

I have had a TBE for quite some time but have never cooked a butt in it.
I just purchased an SRG & think I might try one in it.
I'm used to smoking my butts for 18 -20 hour. (really low temp) Would be nice to be able to get one finished quicker. Can you keep them moist by cooking them faster at the higher temp.?
Can someone tell me the approx. temp of the TBE?
How about the temps of the SRG (at low on up to high maybe?)
I noticed last night that the SRG really surprised me how fast it browned some chicken thighs and drumsticks. It didn't feel all that hot, but it must have been hotter than I thought it was.
Thanks in advance for any feed back on approximate temps that anyone can provide.
Here are a few links to read.  Please feel free to ask questions or if you want to PM me.  I'm at 126 butts in infrared so far ;)  Believe me if there is a mistake I bet I made it :D

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11667.msg158647#msg158647

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11694.msg158944#msg158944
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »

Here are a few links to read.  Please feel free to ask questions or if you want to PM me.  I'm at 126 butts in infrared so far ;)  Believe me if there is a mistake I bet I made it :D

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11667.msg158647#msg158647

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=11694.msg158944#msg158944

Thanks - TMB was a good help in getting this cook done (as were others).  This cook is proof that you can get a moist meat with the TBE - but as stated, it takes some hacks to make it happen.

TMB:  Any thoughts of doing a general guideline for items such as the Pulled pork and sticking it to the top of the board?  I know I did read a bunch of posts trying to pull out the tips given.

As for getting an SRG - maybe at some point. I think my next item (after replacing the riding lawn mower that took a dump) will be the WSM.  It will allow me to do some larger smokes than then Red Box.  As long as I convince the wife that the 22.5" is a good deal, then I should be good!

I like the fact I could get one done quickly, but I still prefer the low and slow method of the Red Box.  However, it was nice not to have to mess with the charcoal.

Overall, thanks all for the help and the positive feedback.  I have the baseline, now to improve it some!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
Awesome! That looks great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline grossie

Pulled Pork in the TBE - First attempt
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:33:04 PM »
Looks great. Nice job. I might have to fire up the ole TBE again...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR