Author Topic: rec tec question  (Read 4517 times)

Offline rhltechie

• South Carolina
    • A Chick and Her Grill
rec tec question
« Reply #-1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:23:06 AM »
Hey all....pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Rec Tec mini.  I've been doing research for a little while and have looked at traeger, rec tec and green mountain grills.  I'd love to have the full size rec tec but it's a little pricey for me right now. I'm just wondering, without mods, how many racks of baby backs do you think you could fit on the mini?  just flat, not using a stacker or anything. what about butts? would two 8 pounders fit in the mini?  Its usually just me and a few friends eating, but sometimes i do cook for the entire family and just wanting to make sure i can fit the larger crowd. I did look at the GMG Daniel Boone, as its a littler larger I think, but for some reason I am drawn to the rec tec.  Maybe its aesthetics, or maybe its the guys at the company.  Thanks for reading!
Rec Tec Mini
MES 30

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: rec tec question
« on: June 04, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »
If you can cry once.......Rec Tec offers interest free financing that can be spread out up to 24 months.....this way you get the big bull and you have no worries about food capacity..............just sayin...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rhltechie

• South Carolina
    • A Chick and Her Grill
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »
If you can cry once.......Rec Tec offers interest free financing that can be spread out up to 24 months.....this way you get the big bull and you have no worries about food capacity..............just sayin...........

ha...well said.  It's also the portability of the mini I like. I travel home often and cook for my folks.  I used their MES 30 this weekend, same smoker I have but I have a feeling once I use the rec tec I won't wanna go back to the MES!
Rec Tec Mini
MES 30

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
Love my Rec Tec Mini, but I have modified it.  As it comes you can fit 2-3 racks depending on the size. I have not tried a Butts yet on the Mini I'm thinking that it might be a tight fit.  You won't be disappointed with the Rec Tec the quality of the construction and the PID controller are top notch.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline rhltechie

• South Carolina
    • A Chick and Her Grill
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 02:49:23 PM »
Love my Rec Tec Mini, but I have modified it.  As it comes you can fit 2-3 racks depending on the size. I have not tried a Butts yet on the Mini I'm thinking that it might be a tight fit.  You won't be disappointed with the Rec Tec the quality of the construction and the PID controller are top notch.

Thanks for the reply Tom.  I've seen your mod videos.  They are nice mods...unfortunately I am not that handy when it comes to metal work. ha.  I think I'd be happy with the rec tec mini even given its size.
Rec Tec Mini
MES 30

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 06:36:55 AM »
I'm also close to getting the mini. I'm a past pellet head anyways. Had the GMG Portable, very hard to set up and its heavy, i ended up selling it, had treaters years ago and a MAK 2 star which is owned now by Tim. It was a low number i think #48.

The RT mini will be great for us as we are full time RV'rs. Right now i have an Akorn, Weber Q-100 and a TSM 30lb smoker and a few A-MAZE-N pellet smokers.

My only hurdle is trying to get the boss to say ok just order it.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline rhltechie

• South Carolina
    • A Chick and Her Grill
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 08:21:25 AM »
I'm also close to getting the mini. I'm a past pellet head anyways. Had the GMG Portable, very hard to set up and its heavy, i ended up selling it, had treaters years ago and a MAK 2 star which is owned now by Tim. It was a low number i think #48.

The RT mini will be great for us as we are full time RV'rs. Right now i have an Akorn, Weber Q-100 and a TSM 30lb smoker and a few A-MAZE-N pellet smokers.

hey there!  I pulled the trigger on the mini monday evening.  It came down to not only price but the fact that I like to cook for others in different locations. I don't think I will be disappointed, it looks like an awesome grill.
Rec Tec Mini
MES 30

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
I bet you gonna live it    I love my Rec Tec 680 but can't afford the mini right now but I'm saving up.  Kimmie an I do love to camp an it would be perfect for me
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rhltechie

• South Carolina
    • A Chick and Her Grill
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
I'm chompin at the bit to get my hands on it... it's been in "label created" fed ex world since Monday.... grrr.
Rec Tec Mini
MES 30

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
Congrats...hope it ships fast to you  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
rec tec question
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »
You're gonna love it, I know I sure love my 680!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »
I bet you gonna live it    I love my Rec Tec 680 but can't afford the mini right now but I'm saving up.  Kimmie an I do love to camp an it would be perfect for me

I will buy the RT Mini.

You pour the 20x50' concrete RV pad, install 50a service and a septic tank.. What a deal..... :D :D
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 04:50:41 PM »

I will buy the RT Mini.

You pour the 20x50' concrete RV pad, install 50a service and a septic tank.. What a deal..... :D :D
how does a 60 x 100 pad sound ? No septic tank but we can call a honey wagon
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 05:25:28 PM »

Congrats!

hey there!  I pulled the trigger on the mini monday evening.  It came down to not only price but the fact that I like to cook for others in different locations. I don't think I will be disappointed, it looks like an awesome grill.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline rwalters

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 12:46:38 PM »
Late to the party, but did you get the RT yet?  If so, what do you think?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)