Author Topic: Tommy question about srg  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Bayoucajun

Tommy question about srg
« Reply #-1 on: September 19, 2016, 07:54:10 PM »
Just read a srg review on Amazon. This guy said he gets his srg down to 180 degrees. This is how he does it. Once he lights grill moves knob between high and off then turns down flame till no more yellow color just blue.then puts piece of metal to prop up lid about 2 inches. Also read char broil forum they say to open lid  if u want to smoke low and slow. What do u think about about these two ideas.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Tommy question about srg
« on: September 19, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
Just read a srg review on Amazon. This guy said he gets his srg down to 180 degrees. This is how he does it. Once he lights grill moves knob between high and off then turns down flame till no more yellow color just blue.then puts piece of metal to prop up lid about 2 inches. Also read char broil forum they say to open lid  if u want to smoke low and slow. What do u think about about these two ideas.
Well, turning the flame down by   turning the knob halfway off to me is not a good idea because of possible flame out.
That being said I'm not knocking the guy just saying may not be a good idea.  In the past on CharBroil's forum we would play with using adjustable regulators from oil fryers trying to get the temp down for low and slow.

With the first Big Easy there was no lid so we would use different types of lids and smoke generators trying to get low and slow out of those units.  With the SRG the lid added a new twist yet also added more heat retention because the heated air has nowhere to go like it did in the 1st Big Easy.  Hot air  dries out meat where infrared does not dry out meat so cracking the lid on an SRG or adding the 4 in hole on the lid like I did a few years back vents out hot air yet lets the infrared do it's magic .

The SRG will produce very good cooks but it's not a true smoker (believe me I have tried to make it one) I have made 130 butts in in infrared and pulled beef chuckies and most people can't tell but someone who knows real low and slow could tell.

I have built a pellet fired SRG and yes it truly is an infrared smoker right down to the smoke ring on the meat to full flavor of a smoker.  Controllable heat from low and slow to 500 + on full bore     

Sorry for being long winded, but the SRG is a great cooker just not a true smoker but you can cheat it with a little practice and turn put great food

P.M me if you this isn't what your looking for

Tommy
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:20:50 PM »
I'm confused.

Tommy, are you saying not to turn the flame down on the SRG to get lower cook temperatures?
I thought that was the whole idea of having the adjustable flame.(as opposed to the BigEasy turkey fryer)

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:43:11 PM »
I'm confused.

Tommy, are you saying not to turn the flame down on the SRG to get lower cook temperatures?
I thought that was the whole idea of having the adjustable flame.(as opposed to the BigEasy turkey fryer)
No turning the temp to low is fine. He said a guy talked about turning the knob the other way. Turning the knob between high and off that to me would not be smart.     The unit is made to run low to high not in the half way on/off setting which there is no setting

Didn't mean to confuse anyone
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Roget

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:08:37 AM »
Gotcha!!
I reread it & see where I went wrong.

Reading 101 :) :)
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
Gotcha!!
I reread it & see where I went wrong.

Reading 101 :) :)
HE HE HE, I had to reread it also to make sure I was right  :D :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker