Author Topic: Flame out??  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Jaxon

Flame out??
« Reply #-1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:35:54 AM »
I found a Camp Chef Pro DLX for $350 right here in town.  Seriously considering it.
In a thread about cooking brisket in a RecTec, y'all are talking about "flame out".
It sounds like trouble.   What is it and what causes flame out.  Does the flame actually go out?

B T W, do any of you have any experience with the Camp Chef Smoke Pro DLX?  It looks like it could hold 4 butts with a rack of ribs on top?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Hub

Re: Flame out??
« on: November 19, 2016, 08:20:38 AM »
A pellet cooker can lose fire for several reasons.  Probably the most common is the user just forgetting to top up the pellet hopper and then running out of fuel.  Others include pellet jams, where the blunt ends get positioned just right and make a "dam" preventing proper feed by the auger, and an improperly set or malfunctioning controller that feeds too few pellets or mistimes the feeds.  These problems are very rare in high quality, well-maintained pellet cookers.

Please don't buy a pellet cooker just  because you think it is a bargain.  Lots of perfectly good pellet cookers get dumped because their owners bought them on a whim at Costco and/or didn't bother to learn how they work.  They are a fantastic cooking tool in the right hands, though  ;D

Read: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2641.0

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »
Hey Hub,
I remember reading this article last year.
Thanks for the advice - AGAIN.

When I compare $1200 to $350, it is only natural to want to save the money.  After all, if I find out that  pelletizing isn't for me, I’m out a much smaller amount.

After taking a deep breath and rethinking this particular grill, I realize that I won't have a warranty since I'm not the original owner.  When it breaks, I'm done.   

Until I can step up to a quality pellet grill, I'll just keep saving my money.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge.
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
You can easily get 4 butts in the Camp Chef. I have used one off and on over the years and no problems with flame outs. Not saying it can happen. I think using good quality pellets and keeping your fire-pot cleaned out will help. The Camp Chef has the fire-pot clean out which makes it so easy to keep it clean for the next cook.

Jack, I have done about 5 overnight cooks with no problems................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
The most common cause for a flame out is when people do not clean out their firepot of excessive ash.

If you clean out your firepot after every cook then you will eliminate 99% of them.

Jack I bought a cheaper Traeger Jr first before stepping up to my Memphis. I would have never done that had it not been for the Traeger Jr.

Nice thing about these grills is you can sell them and then upgrade to something better as you get more experienced with them.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »
Another couple of reasons for a flame-out error are the ignitor rod going bad, or a dirty temp sensor not reading the pit temps correctly  (this one happened to me just recently).

Anyone who owns a pellet grill will eventually get a flame-out error, just like anyone who owns a gas grill will at some point run out of propane during a cook, or an electric smoker might have a heating element burn out.  Every type grill or smoker has its own set of caveats.

The advantages of a GOOD pellet grill can far outweigh the possible issues.  BUT the quality of the grill can also play a huge role.  Most of the people I've seen over the years who've had less than great results are those who got lower quality units.  Most people who've gotten better quality units are very happy.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
Cliff and Mike make great points. For the price of the Camp Chef you just can't go wrong jumping into the pellet hopper  ;D. I had a fear of all the moving and electronic parts at first, just so much going on. They are actually pretty darn dependable.

If the pellet bug bites you, there are awesome units out there for you to upgrade to.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »
Another way to try pellet cooking without spending a fortune would be to get one of the units Cliff has for his Weber kettle. 
 I don't remember the name of it but It looked good and I've seen Cliff comment on it a few times.

Just....a thought.

I think it's a Stoven.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:49:13 PM by tlg4942 »
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »
Cliff and Mike make great points. For the price of the Camp Chef you just can't go wrong jumping into the pellet hopper  ;D. I had a fear of all the moving and electronic parts at first, just so much going on. They are actually pretty darn dependable.

If the pellet bug bites you, there are awesome units out there for you to upgrade to.

Dadgum...
Back up on the ledge fellas...
Smoke and Cliff make a good argument for this particular grill, especially at this price. B T W, I checked it out yesterday and it is in almost new conition (used three times).  The guy just bought a WSM - he got bored with nothing to do with the pelletizer set it and forget it feature.
If I can only get Deb to get the picture.
<><

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 03:05:57 PM »

Dadgum...
Smoke and Cliff make a good argument for this particular grill, especially at this price. B T W, I checked it out yesterday and it is in almost new conition (used three times).  The guy just bought a WSM - he got bored with nothing to do with the pelletizer set it and forget it feature.
Once you cook a meal on it for her...all will be forgiven. Sometimes it IS easier to ask forgiveness than permission. ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 04:31:46 PM »
Jaxon, If this is the same Camp Chef you told us about before on Craig's list, thats really a great deal! I doubt that you will ever see a deal like that again. And besides at that price if doesn't work out you'll be able to sell it for about the same. In my opiuon you have nothing to loose. You can tell your Wife that it's an early X-mas present!  ;)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »
I did a extensive product review on one for Eric before it was released. It is a solid performer in its price category.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 05:28:41 PM »

Dadgum...

Interesting how he went to a WSM. Once you figure them out, they are darn near set it and forget it.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
I do want to keep milking a dead horse, but I have another question...
What should I expect in the way of pellet use?  I know there are many variables, but on average what should I expect?
I notice that most pellets are around $1 per pound. 

Thanks for the input.
<><

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »
Save up for the Rec Tec

Just sayin
Terry "Way down in Alabama"