Author Topic: Orion Turkey  (Read 5555 times)

Offline MossyMO

Orion Turkey
« Reply #-1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:13:06 AM »
So I have had this Orion Cooker a for a while and all I have used it for is ribs a few times and they taste ok but nothing compared to off a pellet grill or a Weber kettle, but it will do 3 slabs of ribs in 90 minutes (in the summer).

Now I have always heard how great a turkey is from an Orion and had to give it a try. Started out by putting the 10 lb. turkey in Mad Hunky Poultry Brine that was planned to be an 8 hour brine but North Dakota weather switched my plans and it ended up being a 32 hour brine.

-----

Now here is the turkey on the Orion poultry stand rubbed with Simply Marvelous Season All.

-----

The Orion Cooker is designed to add smoke taste if you choose to add wood chips around the drip pan, instead I thought I would try 2 hand fulls of pecan pellets.

-----

Here is the turkey loaded in the Orion.

-----

Here is the Orion with the coals lit.

-----

Orion cooks by time, not temp; and Orion suggest 7 minutes per pound for turkey. Well, North Dakota winter temps seemed to not work well with Orion's directions cause at 70 minutes this turkey needed more cooking time. Ended up going an hour 45 minutes which still is not that bad to cook a turkey in freezing temps! Here is the turkey when I pulled it.

-----

-----

Check out the juices!

-----

Turkey, dressing and mixed veggies!

-----

I really like this turkey; great taste, the brine and seasoning made it moist and delicious... and most surprising was the smoke flavor, it really had a deep pecan smoke flavor. I like the Orion for cook time and flavor, but I will say with this style of cooking the turkey skin was terrible.

Thanks for looking!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Orion Turkey
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:21:11 AM »
Very interesting Marty. I've wanted to see an Orion cooker in action.

I know one thing; that plate of food sure looks awfully good!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:23:41 AM »
As a guy who grew up in ND - Good Job! ND temps / winds and ghosts can be difficult. I am sorry to hear the skin was not what you were hoping - but the pics look great. Good for you and thanks for the report!

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 05:34:08 AM »
Good looking Turkey and neat looking cooker.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Orion Turkey
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »
The bird looks great! So your comment about the skin; was it that is was rubbery?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 08:44:35 AM »

Bird looks good!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »
Great looking bird Mossy ;)

That thing looks like a charcoal big easy. Being that the skin is not crispy means it probably does not generate the type of heat that a big easy does. And as cold and windy as it was probably played a huge factor. Bet during a warmer day you would get more crispy skin.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »
The bird looks great! So your comment about the skin; was it that is was rubbery?

The skin was tough like shoe leather.

-----
That thing looks like a charcoal big easy. Being that the skin is not crispy means it probably does not generate the type of heat that a big easy does. And as cold and windy as it was probably played a huge factor. Bet during a warmer day you would get more crispy skin.

You may be correct, have to try it again in the summer and use less charcoal.

Offline Pappymn

Orion Turkey
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
I can appreciate the effort it takes to cook outside in the winter. It does take a lot of the fun out of it. Nice looking bird!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »
It is like Thanksgiving all over again!!  That looks great!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 11:26:03 AM »
I find that brining makes the skin rubbery unless you let it dry out in the fridge for 24 hours after the brine. 

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »

-----

I have been on a quest this past year for crispier chicken/turkey skin. Someone else was doing some playing around with this too earlier this year too and posted about using higher temps (400°+) to get better skin. That got me to thinking, so I did some checking & lots of testing.

One thing I've learned is that you need that higher temps to get the fat hot enough to fry and crisp the skin before it melts off.  With lower temps, in 275° range, it's just high enough for the fat to melt off leaving it to dry out and get tough.

Ever since I turned the heat up, I've been getting much better results.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »
turkey got great color.  looks real juicy. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline MossyMO

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
I think if I try this in the summer without brining the bird I will get better skin results. When I try this next I will use an infrared thermo to try get a semi accurate cooking chamber temperature.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »

-----

I have been on a quest this past year for crispier chicken/turkey skin. Someone else was doing some playing around with this too earlier this year too and posted about using higher temps (400°+) to get better skin. That got me to thinking, so I did some checking & lots of testing.

One thing I've learned is that you need that higher temps to get the fat hot enough to fry and crisp the skin before it melts off.  With lower temps, in 275° range, it's just high enough for the fat to melt off leaving it to dry out and get tough.

Ever since I turned the heat up, I've been getting much better results.

Cooked poultry several times on my cheap Kamodo @ 350-375F & the skin is yummy, specially coated with butter , birds were brined & not dried.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp