Author Topic: Tri-tip ...and the secret no one tells you (trisket could be the one)  (Read 3423 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog

Here's my version of a TRISKET that might meet your expectations. Turned out scrumptious! Moist and tender and tasted a lot better than a brisket. I used a peeled USDA Prime Tri-Tip roast from Costco ... Like everyone else I must pay homage to Muebe. His TRISKET post was the first one I ever saw.
  • Trim any excess fat and silver skin from the Tri-Tip roast
  • Rub the Tri-Tip roast with an extra virgin olive oil and your favorite Seasoning
  • Wrap the roast with plastic and refrigerate overnight
  • Configure your wood pellet smoker-grill for indirect cooking (I used a MAK 2-Star)
  • Preheat your grill to 225ºF using Hickory or wood pellets of choice
  • Smoke the TRISKET for approximately 2 hours till the internal temperature reaches 140ºF
  • Double wrap the TRISKET in heavy duty foil and return to grill
  • Increase the pit temperature to 300ºF
  • Remove the TRISKET when the internal temperature reaches 200ºF
  • Rest the TRISKET in the foil for 15 minutes before carving against the grain
  • For planning purposes: Total time ~ 4 hours - 30 min preheat/2 hours @225º/hour & 15 min @300º/Rest 15 minutes

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Roget

Man oh man, that is a beautiful piece of meat.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
I've never had tri tip. Heck, I've never even seen tri tip at the store. But OP's sandwich looks delicious. And that trisket you put up Pete looks killer.

I don't have anything local. Since I would have to order it, worth going ahead and ordering prime/wagyu online? Or is this a cut with diminishing returns for spending the extra money on higher fat content.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
I've never had tri tip. Heck, I've never even seen tri tip at the store. But OP's sandwich looks delicious. And that trisket you put up Pete looks killer.

I don't have anything local. Since I would have to order it, worth going ahead and ordering prime/wagyu online? Or is this a cut with diminishing returns for spending the extra money on higher fat content.

IMHO I don't think I would spend the money ordering a prime/wagyu tri-tip online. A choice tri-tip would work just as well. Unfortunately they can't be found in your part of the Country. 
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Choice sounds like a winner to me. I have only seen a choice tri-tip at HEB in Bryan/College Station.  It was darn good.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32