Author Topic: South Texas Road Trip - Recommendations?  (Read 11479 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
South Texas Road Trip - Recommendations?
« Reply #-1 on: October 09, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
My wife and I are taking a couple of weeks off and road-tripping from New Mexico across Texas. Our final destination is my brother-in-law's place in Katy.  We're going to spend a couple of days in Fredericksburg, then on to San Antonio, College Station and Austin along the way...  I'd love to try Franklin's, but we don't have that kind of time on this go-around. My brother-in-law is taking me to check out the Lone Star Grillz factory north of Houston. He's trying to talk me into a stick-burner (!!)

Any other hot-spots to recommend??
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: South Texas Road Trip - Recommendations?
« on: October 09, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »
I got this recommendation from Tee.  Stop at Buc-ee's.  We stopped at the first one we saw, outside Dallas.  Quite the experience.  There are Buc-ee's pretty much all over the state, from what I gather.  They claim to have the cleanest rest rooms in the state.  They might be right. 

We ordered some freshly made sweet kolaches.  They have savory kolaches as well.  We tried a cream cheese version and a pecan pie filled version.  They made it to the car, but no farther.  I need to learn to make kolaches.

Art

If you get to Houston, try Mama Ninfa's Mexican Restaurant.  It's located near the Astro's stadium.  They are noted for their tacos al carbone.  Really good.  And their margaritas were so good (and I wasn't driving) that I had a second one.  Mama Ninfa's has been one my bucket list for a long time.  Check that one off!!
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 06:00:51 PM »
So, the good news is that you'll be in the center of some truly amazing BBQ joints.  San Antonio ... 2M Smokehouse was impressive, but beyond that I haven't found much to sing the praises of compared to Houston, Austin, and Dallas.  College Station isn't much for "destination" BBQ, but there are some decent places like Fargo's or Good Bull.  Rather than College Station, I'd STRONGLY urge you to consider Luling (City Market) or Lockhart (Kruez Market and Smitty's).  Austin has tons besides Franklin's ... though Franklin's is awesome; La Barbecue and Micklethwait go toe-to-toe with the best in the state.  I wouldn't sell Dallas short if you can make time ... Pecan Lodge and Cattleack are on point.

Houston metro area ... if you swing by you've got a ton of places that source prime meats and do it "right", sides included ... Tejas Chocolate Craftory + BBQ (Tomball), Killen's (Pearland), and Corkscrew (Spring) are my trifecta locally.  Tejas in Tomball has my favorite spareribs, chicken, burnt ends, and desserts in Texas, Killen's is right up there with Franklin's for brisket, pork belly, and beef plate ribs, and Corkscrew is solid all around.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline gigama

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Lockhart TX outside Austin has some great BBQ. Blacks, Kreuz Market and Smittys are awesome.  Lockhart is on the turnpike loop that goes around Austin.  Definitely worth stopping for. 

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 03:23:03 AM »
ronman451, try the original Rudy's Country Store and BBQ. It is on I-10 between Fredericksburg and San Antonio close to Boerne.

UWFSAE is spot on about his recommendations, but I would add Black's to the list of BBQ joints in Lockhart. By the way, that "turnpike loop" that goes by Lockhart has a speed limit of 85 MPH. Be sure to watch out for wild hogs and deer. They can total your car in a heartbeat.

On your way from Austin to Houston, try to stop at Southside Market in Elgin or Louie Meuller's in Taylor or both.

Art (ACW3) is right about Buc-ees. You gotta stop just to look around. He's also right about Ninfa's in Houston. It's the best TexMex in Houston and all of Texas.

While in Houston, try Gatlin's on Ella. One block away is Pits by Klose, a world acclaimed pit manufacturer. Another pit manufacturer is Pitts and Spitts which is also close by.

Have fun on your vacation.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »
What IR2dum said.

He took me on tour of these places and I'll never forget it.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!