Author Topic: Brisket in the Char Griller 980  (Read 5369 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Brisket in the Char Griller 980
« Reply #-1 on: December 30, 2021, 10:10:28 AM »
I have been super happy with my Rec Tec Bullseye but I needed a bit more size. I have wanted to get a larger Pellet RT-700 but just haven't pulled the trigger.   Time was short before Christmas so I decided to get into the gravity feed world.   I've never had good luck with Master Built products and after seeing Jacks Char-Griller 980 I felt like it would be a good fit for me.
  Lowes was down to two units in stock so I picked one up.
 When I fired it up there was an ErP code which I had to guess at what that was.  The inside probe. Well, the assembly guy at Lowes must have put the grill together and missed feeding the Probe cable through the grill. Instead of fixing this properly he just fed it down inside between the grill walls. After some unpleasant comments and slight disassembly, I figured this out and fixed the issue.
 Time was down to the wire so I seasoned it up and placed a $158 brisket in the chamber.  All looked good with the temp set and holding at 250.  
 I had to cut the grass and the next really good thing I noticed is that I can clearly see the temp reading from 50 feet away.   During the first 7 hours, the temp stayed between 246 and 253 which is pretty good. At this point, I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper and turned the temp up to 350.  
 I went inside and fell asleep on the couch! When I woke up I had an immediate sick feeling and ran outside to see the disaster...  It was now 9-10 hours  The internal temp was 212 ...
I just knew it was DOA but to my surprise, it jiggled like jelly on the point.  I wrapped it in foil and placed it on ice until the next day.
  I warmed it up an hour or so before time to eat and sliced it. The thing was so tender it would almost pull apart by just picking it up.  So I don't know if the Wagu was just that good or the grill did such a good job, maybe both...  
  I definitely like this grill and am so glad I got it over the 700 at this point.   Time will tell...
P.S. The Bullseye didn't get left out.  My son cooked two dozen bacon-wrapped dove breast (OMGood) and I cooked a two-pack of Conecuh sausage on it. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Brisket in the Char Griller 980
« on: December 30, 2021, 09:02:03 PM »
Sounds like great eats Terry!!!!  Best of luck with your new cooker
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
Terry, congrats on the new Char-Griller 980. I watched that grill cook lots of food at Backyard Jack's and was very impressed. I know that Wagyu brisket was cooked to perfection. Wish I had been there to check out that brisket and also Chris's bacon-wrapped dove. Have a Happy New Year and keep those grills fired up.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:44:20 PM »
...Wish I had been there to check out that brisket ...

For Terry's sake I'm glad you missed the opportunity. We know how you prep expensive briskets and it's not pretty.*

* and, no, you probably will never live that one down. How else could I stay amused during these trying times?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 11:25:22 AM »
I have been super happy with my Rec Tec Bullseye but I needed a bit more size. I have wanted to get a larger Pellet RT-700 but just haven't pulled the trigger.   Time was short before Christmas so I decided to get into the gravity feed world.   I've never had good luck with Master Built products and after seeing Jacks Char-Griller 980 I felt like it would be a good fit for me.
  Lowes was down to two units in stock so I picked one up.
 When I fired it up there was an ErP code which I had to guess at what that was.  The inside probe. Well, the assembly guy at Lowes must have put the grill together and missed feeding the Probe cable through the grill. Instead of fixing this properly he just fed it down inside between the grill walls. After some unpleasant comments and slight disassembly, I figured this out and fixed the issue.
 Time was down to the wire so I seasoned it up and placed a $158 brisket in the chamber.  All looked good with the temp set and holding at 250. 
 I had to cut the grass and the next really good thing I noticed is that I can clearly see the temp reading from 50 feet away.   During the first 7 hours, the temp stayed between 246 and 253 which is pretty good. At this point, I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper and turned the temp up to 350. 
 I went inside and fell asleep on the couch! When I woke up I had an immediate sick feeling and ran outside to see the disaster...  It was now 9-10 hours  The internal temp was 212 ...
I just knew it was DOA but to my surprise, it jiggled like jelly on the point.  I wrapped it in foil and placed it on ice until the next day.
  I warmed it up an hour or so before time to eat and sliced it. The thing was so tender it would almost pull apart by just picking it up.  So I don't know if the Wagu was just that good or the grill did such a good job, maybe both... 
  I definitely like this grill and am so glad I got it over the 700 at this point.   Time will tell...
P.S. The Bullseye didn't get left out.  My son cooked two dozen bacon-wrapped dove breast (OMGood) and I cooked a two-pack of Conecuh sausage on it.

Unpelasant comments..LOL    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron