Author Topic: Black Olive Kamado Pellet Grill  (Read 11328 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Black Olive Kamado Pellet Grill
« Reply #-1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
When you are sick and can't do nothing..what to do..what to do......I know...get on Google and look for BBQ stuff and look what I stumbled upon:

The Black Olive   The worlds first Kamado pellet grill. This sucker is solid ceramic and it poops pellets. It aint cheap either..with the stand it is starting around 1800.00.....ouch...Old Smoke aint gettin one of these any time soon, but it is interesting......

http://blackolivegrill.com/

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Black Olive Kamado Pellet Grill
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:32:45 PM »
i seen one of these last weekend at california backyard.  the grill guy walked over and asked if i knew about pellet grills.  ya, i know pellet grills a little.  he wanted me to look at it and tell him what i thought.  small pellet burn box, heat deflecter is to thin and will warp.  he didn't like hearing that.  he had green mountain grills.  i told him the gm were way better grills than the kamado thing.  told him the best pellet grills were maks, memphis, yoder, gm, rec tec and fec's. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
One of lifes simple pleasures is walking into a BBQ store and this young buck sales guy (who still smells like his mama) comes up and he thinks he knows more about Q than i do........ ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
One of lifes simple pleasures is walking into a BBQ store and this young buck sales guy (who still smells like his mama) comes up and he thinks he knows more about Q than i do........ ;D

lol.  thats so funny but i think the same thing happens to most of us.  i was at the butcher the other day to get a rack of spare ribs.  2 other guys were buying ribs also.  they were talking about how to good them.  1st guy boils his ribs then on the grill w/ lots of sauce.  he says they are to die for.  ok.  the 2nd guy says he marinades them for 4 hours then on the grill until crisp.  yuck.  they asked me how i was going to do mine.  me, if i was cooking on the mak 4 hours at 275° and test w/ toothpick test.  if using the WSM 4 hours or so between 250°-275°.  you could cook them dry, wet (w/ sauce last 30 minutes or so) or some Foil Love.  they had no idea what i was talking about.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
I hope you Bi___-slapped the guy that boiled his ribs  >:( ;D :D

Ribs need to be bathed in moist warm smokey air in complete darkness for hours....not immersed in boiling water..that aint right  >:(
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:11:09 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »

So true, so true  :o

The saving grace of the "black olive" would be that you could plant flowers in it if it didn't cook well  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pappymn

Black Olive Kamado Pellet Grill
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
I hope you Bi___-slapped the guy that boiled his ribs  >:( ;D :D

Ribs need to be bathed in moist warm smokey air in complete darkness for hours....not immersed in boiling water..that aint right  >:(

Like Meathead said "you boil the ribs the terrorists win."

Wise man!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:44:15 PM »
Looks interesting, but I'd like to put their grill/smoker up against my "Black Pearl"   HA HA HA  ;)  Hell it would be fun to see an $1800 pellet pooper vs a home built $300 +  one  :D :D :D

I'll even give then a head start  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:55:28 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 04:54:52 PM »
Looks interesting, but I'd like to put there grill/smoker up against my "Black Pearl"   HA HA HA  ;)  Hell it would be fun to see an $1800 pellet pooper vs a home built $300 +  one  :D :D :D

gonna level the playing field Tommy  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
Looks interesting, but I'd like to put there grill/smoker up against my "Black Pearl"   HA HA HA  ;)  Hell it would be fun to see an $1800 pellet pooper vs a home built $300 +  one  :D :D :D

gonna level the playing field Tommy  ;)
Level???  I want to flatten it!!!   :D :D :D :D

That's just me  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tatonka3a2

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
It looks cool but "cool" doesn't cook your food!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »

[/quote]

The saving grace of the "black olive" would be that you could plant flowers in it if it didn't cook well  ::)

Hub
[/quote]

hub, you owe me a pak of fig newtons.  that was to funny.  make milk come out my nose i was laughing so hard.  milky newtons = icky.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
The main reason I purchased a primo Oval XL was the 20 year warranty and made in USA and got tired of my gassers rusting out.
It took me 3 months to figure out how to light the dang thing without smoking up the whole neighborhood and another 6 months to figure out how to cook on it but I am a semi-pro on it now after about 4 years :) I still really crave a pellet grill.
Ceramic has its cons as well as metal grills. I am on my third fire bowl in my primo, the first one cracked the first year and was sent no charge the second and third I had to pay $50 shipping with no questions asked just sent pictures to primo. My grates started coming apart and they sent those free of charge also.
Not sure about the Kamado featured in this thread but i would make sure it is easy to get replacement parts as they do crack.

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »
My area rep is going to be swinging by next week with one. I'm curious to see it. I've actually have had a few inquire about it. At $1800 I was hoping for some actual temperature control, not just an adjustable rotary control, but I think I might have an answer to that ;)
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »
I really enjoy reading these threads. I am a curmudgeon - charcoal and wood are my favorite fuel sources - my eyes, nose, finger, and thermometer are my favorite monitoring tools. One of my brothers swears by the Big Green Egg (but doesn't own one   ??? )

While I really like cooking on a live fire, I am also very interested in all the other options and opportunities. So, I keep checking these threads to learn and who knows...  ::)

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #