Author Topic: Re: Academy Sports Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill smoker  (Read 7455 times)

Offline smokinjim

• Smokin Jim's BBQ
Re: Academy Sports Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill smoker
« Reply #-1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »
I just picked one of these units up the other day. It was $199 and I couldn't pass it up. Ended up getting the assembled one off the floor because the only other one had been opened and who knows what was missing. Brought it home and tightened all the screws, then fired it up. Started right away and brought temp up to 350F to burn it off. Then sprayed with canola and seasoned for a couple of hours. First cook will be today. I also didn't get the manual and although I am very familiar with Traeger units I would like to know what the P0-P7 settings for the smoke are? Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

Offline CaptJack

« on: March 08, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
a past thread on this pellet smoker
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=1203.0
King of the OldSmokey

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »
Here's a post by Muebe that explains the "P" settings: Traeger P Settings Question.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:40:42 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokinjim

• Smokin Jim's BBQ
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »
I just picked one of these units up the other day. It was $199 and I couldn't pass it up. Ended up getting the assembled one off the floor because the only other one had been opened and who knows what was missing. Brought it home and tightened all the screws, then fired it up. Started right away and brought temp up to 350F to burn it off. Then sprayed with canola and seasoned for a couple of hours. First cook will be today. I also didn't get the manual and although I am very familiar with Traeger units I would like to know what the P0-P7 settings for the smoke are? Can someone help me out here? Thanks.
That's a killer deal on the pellet grill.  When I went looking to buy a hopper to make my pellet grill with I was looking at 300.00 min for the unit and here you got the whole set up for 199.00  Congrats!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »
When we first started getting those Outdoor Gourmet (the Academy store brand) grills in they came with a Traeger thermometer in the box and we would have to get a thermometer off the rack to replace it. They sold for $499 and when they didn't sell that well they brought the price down to $199. At that price it is worth it for an entry level grill/smoker to get started in the pellet pooper world. There were issues with the igniter rod blowing fuses and they had to send out replacement parts to fix the problem. I don't know if Academy will continue to sell them after the current stock is gone. IF divorce lawyers were not so expensive I would pick one up just to play around with a pellet grill.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
Ken,  Just tell her you're getting it for me and you'll give it to me at the Gathering.  Shoot, by the end of September she will have forgot alllll about it. ::)  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Ken,  Just tell her you're getting it for me and you'll give it to me at the Gathering.  Shoot, by the end of September she will have forgot alllll about it. ::)  Dee

She is an accountant and doesn't forget anything involving money unless it is her never ending collection of shoes.  :o
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline txpops

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:53:26 AM »
I picked up one of those a couple of months ago. Just couldn't pass it up at that price. I love it so far. The only issue I might have is finding a reliable source for pellets. Our local Academy is out and they're not sure if and when they will get more. Our local Lowes is now selling the char-griller pellet grill so I've been talking the head of their grill department to try to get him to carry some pellets. Doesn't make sense that they will sell the grill but not the pellets.

Mike
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline DK117

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »
are these still available?  I've got a friend who would like to get into pellets but doesn't want to pay for a Traeger or other.

DK117
Traeger Texas 075
Vermont Castings Signature Series Natural Gas Grill

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »
TwoPockets is right -- this is a killer deal at two hundred bucks.  It should give you a basic feel for pellet cookery without the usual big check to write.  If you like it you can trade up.  If you don't you aren't out much, either.  Keep us posted on your adventures with it.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline txpops

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 02:46:24 AM »
are these still available?  I've got a friend who would like to get into pellets but doesn't want to pay for a Traeger or other.

DK117
Yes. Just checked at my local Academy and they still have one in stock.
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline DK117

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »

DK117
Yes. Just checked at my local Academy and they still have one in stock.
ok, I need to be more specific, is there anywhere I can get one or two of these in Washington State or Oregon?

I have many friends ready to convert to pellets, but not all are ready to make the financial commitment.  Sign of the times I guess.  I tell them they'd want to upgrade within a year anyway, but they won't listen.  They get a shiny gasser at a big box for $400  (which will rust out in 4 years) or a Bradley electric smoker. 

DK117
Traeger Texas 075
Vermont Castings Signature Series Natural Gas Grill