Author Topic: Hello from New Jersey  (Read 3523 times)

Offline hikerman

Re: Hello from New Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »
One thing to keep in mind... a good cook can cook good on a rock... the rest is just fun!

David
First of all,  Welcome from Illinois!
Lastly, I gotta agree with David on this, more proof that we are all here to have fun!   Enjoy!

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
Welcome Aboard!!

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:24 AM »
welcome from washington
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 03:49:12 AM »
First of all: Welcome from Germany!

I have about 10 cookers, including a smoking pro (which I really love), a Louisiana pellet cooker and 2 kamado cookers.

And I also agree with drholly, that it's the cook and not the cooker - but never the less the cooker can make life much easier for the cook. ;)

If you are limited to get just one cooker, take a kamado: I don't have a PBC, but I'm convinced, that it's an outrageous cooker and the folks here on LTBBQ are very enthusiastic on it. But as Sam3 already told it's a power cooker. So if you just want to take one cooker, it should rather be more universal.

A pellet grill is very easy to use and has a bright range of temeratures to work with. Depending on the product you are limited to indirect cooking, while Memphis and some other have the possibility for direct grilling. But be aware that, although they burn wood pellets, the smoke flavor is VERY decent: Most folks here use cold smoke generators to get smoke flavors to their food.

IMHO a kamado style cooker is most universal: It has at least the same temperature range like a pellet cooker (I think it's getting way hotter) and is almost as easy in use. The pro is, you get it very fast hot. The con is, it's VERY slow cooling down. But it keeps temperature very constant for a very long time. It's also very economical in use of charcoal. You light the charcoal and after your job is done you close all drafts to turn the fire off; next time you cook with the same charcoal. And it's very easy to smoke your food: just put in some chunks of wood or wood chips.

So you can use it for long jobs and smoking as well as a PBC style power cooker and as a high heat cooker for steaks and even pizza.

For indirect cooking you put in a plate setter, for direct grilling you take it out. In a Primo Oval XL you can even work with two temperature zones: one for direct grilling and one half covered with a plate setter for indirect cooking. For more space you get extended cooking grates.

Offline maktek

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
Hey Sam3 thanks for the offer i might have to take you up on that offer before i decide to purchase.  The one thing about the PBC that i cant get out of my mind is the way Chicken looks when it comes out.  Man does it look good.  What is everyones opinion on how it cooks brisket.  Myself even on my Smokin Pro i have always had great success with cooking hot and fast.  Here is a brisket i recently cooked on the Smokin Pro.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
welcome from northern cali. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
Well if I were advising a cook who was just getting started in grilling and BBQ and could only get one grill it would probably be a Weber kettle. It will do a lot of things from hot and fast to indirect low and slow to smoking. BUT you have been cooking for over 4 years and have been turning out good food on a Chargiller Smokin Pro which is not that easy to do. At this point it depends on what your budget can handle and which style of cooking you do the most. You are getting lot's of good advice.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Sloman

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 02:52:26 AM »
Welcome from Nürnberg Germany!!  I am sure you will enjoy this site as much as I do...

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I have a PBC and I love it. I prefer chicken out if it than any other cooker I have.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 11:54:02 PM »
Welcome from North Alabama.   I have 14 different grills, smokers & cookers  Now trying for 15  ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Scott6049

Hello from New Jersey
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »
Welcome from Southern Illinois
MAK Grill 2 Star General #1366 **
Weber Charcoal Grill
Old Gasser
Whoo Hoo BBQ
Let's get SMOKING!

Offline maktek

Hello from New Jersey
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »
I ended buying a char griller kamado. I think this will suit me best for now.  I will show pics of upcoming cooks and experiences with everyone.

Offline Pappymn

Hello from New Jersey
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »
I ended buying a char griller kamado. I think this will suit me best for now.  I will show pics of upcoming cooks and experiences with everyone.

We like pics of new shiny grills all by themselves too ;)

Congrats!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
Outstanding! and -a great value...I think LA ( Lost Arrow) has one of those,a nd can give you some advise to  get you comfortable with it quickly.

Looking forward to your cooks!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
Good for you! Looking forward t pics of the shiny new cooker and your upcoming cooks.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #