Author Topic: Newbie to site and Newbie to grilling...  (Read 5725 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Newbie to site and Newbie to grilling...
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »
"Often Wrong but Never in Doubt"
My 2 cents!
Yoder 640 ( you'll never regret having the extra area)
Thermal blanket ( need it for yankeeland winters)
Grill grates made for yoder.

Back burner the gasser , they are useful in the winter, useful to finish & hold , but not as well rounded & the product is not as good as cooking with wood.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
Welcome Neighbour, from Manitoba.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Sam3

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Welcome from NW New Jersey. Glad to have you here.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »
Another welcome from Minnesota.

I think Barry has some great advice re: starting with the classic kettle. I still have mine (along with a bunch of others) but the Webber 22 will teach you a ton and you can do everything from "grilling" to low & slow to pizzas and rotisserie... FWIW  ;)

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline perferd

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
Yes I know as I said in my post that looks dont cook but it dont play a part however small it may be. I did not set out looking for the best looking one and its not a deciding factor but if I like the looks it does help lol...

The memphis grills I have looked at but arent they some of the most expensive out there...

You know I had posted my very first thread on a bbq forum asking this very question. Should I buy cheap and learn some things getting my toes wet or just I just jump right in and get what I will eventually want??? I know some had said just jump in...
Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline Hub

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »
Yes I know as I said in my post that looks dont cook but it dont play a part however small it may be. I did not set out looking for the best looking one and its not a deciding factor but if I like the looks it does help lol...

The memphis grills I have looked at but arent they some of the most expensive out there...

You know I had posted my very first thread on a bbq forum asking this very question. Should I buy cheap and learn some things getting my toes wet or just I just jump right in and get what I will eventually want??? I know some had said just jump in...

Barry's advice is quite sound if you are that new to the hobby.  You can get a "basic" Weber charcoaler that is still one heckuva cooker and will do a lot for very little money.  I own one -- a Weber Performer -- costs a little over $300.  Cooks wonderful chow but is a bit more work for longer cooks.  Lasts forever.

Yes, Memphis and the American made pellet cookers are a little more expensive, but the quality and support of the manufacturer is well worth the money.  Sneak up on this one and don't get in a hurry.  Once you're comfortable with your cooking skills you'll appreciate the flexibility and range of a good pellet machine even more  ;D

Good advice to avoid the expensive gasser for now.  Don't buy a cheap one (e.g. a few hundred) for they are junk, cook unevenly, and die young.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 11:11:12 PM »
Welcome...as you are self-confessed new to grilling may I recommend you purchase a Weber 18 or 22 and spend a summer familiarizing yourself with the basics of direct, indirect, smoke-added and even low & slow cooking that this design affords.  THAT way you have some point of reference as to degree of difficulty, etc. when you go hunting for that more complex grill come Fall....when they go on sale.
Barry is right, start of with the basics then work your way up.   After you have 5 to10 grills/smokers/cookers in your yard then you will have learned that outdoor cooking is addicting  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
Welome! Nice to see more Canadians showing up here.. I was feeling all alone.. hehe. If your ever interested in seeing a Mak in action I have a 2 Star I could show you.. I'm in Hamilton and not all that far from you. Msg me if you have any questions..
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Newbie to site and Newbie to grilling...
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 08:37:21 AM »
Welcome aboard, from south Texas.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum, from South Arkansas! I'm a charcoal and wood kind of user. My best is a YODER. And whatever you use I recommend a product called GrillGrates. These grates will have you turning out food that you thought could never come from your grill. We use these in competition cooking and nearly every team that wins use them. Anyway, glad your here!  ;D

Offline perferd

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »
Thanks , I am thinking rec tc and grill grates...have to figure out pellets though...local places sell traeger grills so I am sure they have their pellets...maybe rec tec pellets ordered with the grill...or just ordering some online...
Semper Fi.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
You can get same as cash financing with Rec Tec up to 24 months so you can buy a boat load of pellets and stretch the payments over 24 months.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline perferd

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
I like to pay cash for as much as I can...

I might make my order today if I can figure out the pellets...
Semper Fi.

Offline perferd

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »
Any opinions on rec tec pellets? I can always throw some in with grill order...
Semper Fi.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
Any opinions on rec tec pellets? I can always throw some in with grill order...
I used them last year at the cook out they were good
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION