Author Topic: It's almost 4:00 AM - Starting a Brisket  (Read 3857 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
It's almost 4:00 AM - Starting a Brisket
« Reply #-1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:05:39 AM »
Got up at 3:30 AM and turned on the Yoder. It is O dark 30. Actually, it was 3:30 AM. I would have taken pictures but it is too dark outside. Besides, the phone is charging, and I am not awake. When the Yoder hits 200 degrees in a few minutes, the Brisket goes on. The A-MAZE-N tube is smoking, and Maverick ET-732 is working. Just waiting. As soon as this Brisket goes on, I am going back to sleep.

Yesterday, I injected and seasoned the brisket and wrapped to put back into the refrigerator. Now, I removed it and checked it. I gave it a taste test and the seasoning tastes pretty good, actually. Why should I be surprised. This brisket should be good. It is an Angus choice cut and bent very easily in the pack.

The PLAN: I am going to cook it for 3 hours on 200, then ramp it up to 225. When it hits internal temperature of 155 to 165 or stall, I will foil it the drip pan and cover it till it hits 195 to 200. Then I am going to wrap it in towels and put it into my cooler. That is the PLAN.

Ok, see you later.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: It's almost 4:00 AM - Starting a Brisket
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:42 AM »

I've got the coffee brewing!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »
The PLAN: I am going to cook it for 3 hours on 200, then ramp it up to 225. When it hits internal temperature of 155 to 165 or stall, I will foil it the drip pan and cover it till it hits 195 to 200. Then I am going to wrap it in towels and put it into my cooler. That is the PLAN.

Ok, see you later.

Ed

Sounds like a good plan... Looking forward t the results.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »

Ok, see you later.

Ed

Sounds like a good plan... Looking forward t the results.

X2     just one question, why didn't you go with an overnight cook and get some zzzzzz's?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »
Looking forward to seeing it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »
Good morning all,

I slept longer than I thought. When I got up, I checked to make sure that everything was ok. I was half a sleep when I did this. But everything seems to be moving along. I was going to up the temperature after 3 hours to 225 but I slept through it and moved the temperature to 225 degrees at 10:00 AM. But, the beef does not seem the worse for this effort. Internal temperature is 153 and moving upward. So foiling is eminent. What temperature do you foil?

This is not a large brisket. I purchased it at Sam's Club already trimmed. My wife and I like to eat around 5 - 6 PM. So I was hoping that it would be done at 3:00 PM and rest for 2 hours. That's a period of 13 hours, total. That's my rationale.

regards,

Ed

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
sounds good.  save me a slice or two.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
Update time. I just pulled the Brisket from the smoker when the Maverick beeped for me that it hit 195 degrees. I wrapped it in towels, and placed it in the cooler outside. Currently, it is much warmer outside at 90 degrees than in my home at 74, so that's where it is going to stay until dinner. The corn is on and that should be done in 3 1/2 to 4 hours at 225 degrees. The last time that I did it this way, it was perfect as I put 2 slabs of butter with each corn and then wrap it in tin foil. As the butter melts it steams the corn in the tin foil and it is so nice and tender and tasty. So, this should be ready by 5:00 to 5:30 PM. The wife will make one of her nice salads with her parmesan cheese dressing. I like it. Pictures will follow then.

I was going to experiment this time and sprinkle parmesan cheese on the corn as well, but I had a senior moment and totally forgot.  Maybe the next time, if I remember.

Alright! Everyone is invited.

Regards,

Ed

Offline Sam3

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »
Woo Hoo!
I'll be right there!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »

I'll bring the beer!

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
Ok......it's done! I removed the brisket from the cooler where it was wrapped in towels. Since this was the first time that I had done this, I could not get over how hot the brisket was after sitting in the cooler for 3 1/2 hours. I set it on the carving board and began to slice away. Here is a picture of the brisket after I removed it from the tin foil.

Here are a couple of pictures after I sliced it for serving. Remember it is just my wife and I.

And here it is plated with the salad and corn.

Actually, this is the first brisket that I have done on the Yoder. I have done another before but it was in an MES 30. That one was pretty good, but this one was much better. Also, I have a confession to make because I really did not know how good this would turn out. When I purchased this brisket at Sam's Club it was sold as a 10 lb. Choice Angus brisket that was trimmed. When I got home, my wife and I discussed the size of this brisket and debated cooking all of it at one time or cutting it in half and cooking one half at a time. I cut it in half and froze both pieces separately. For us this will be more than two meals perhaps three. I could not even finish the slice that I had cut for myself. So this worked out perfect. I also have another whole packer in the freezer which I will make when the whole family is over for dinner. I am also looking forward to cooking a Brisket on the Yoder Cheyenne after it arrives to see the difference between the pellet grill and offset wood smoker.

I liked this experience and learned a lot about doing the brisket.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Ed
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:28:34 PM by veryolddog »

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
Ok......it's done! I removed the brisket from the cooler where it was wrapped in towels. Since this was the first time that I had done this, I could not get over how hot the brisket was after sitting in the cooler for 3 1/2 hours. I set it on the carving board and began to slice away. Here is a picture of the brisket after I removed it from the tin foil.

Ohhhh look at you, teasing us with this shot and not slicing it...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »
Good looking meal.  The brisket looks nice and moist
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »
That brisket slice looks great Ed!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
That's some great looking brisket, Nice job Ed!!